Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Enclosed trailer for Kitfox

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone have experience with trailers made by Mark Sorenson in Georgia? They are advertised in Barnstormers under 'custom aircraft trailers'. I'm considering buying one and was hoping I could get a good reference regarding materials and construction quality. Thanks ahead of time.

Posted (edited)

Sorry that no one has answered your trailer question - we don't have many Colorado members.

My veery limited knowledge is S&S Trailers built at Sikeston, Missouri, - PJ Trailers made in Texas, - and one HUGE trailer sales place for new and used trailers of all sorts in Great Falls, Montana.

EdMO

Oh Yes,  The $3000 new PJ flatbed trailer I bought at Fort St.John, Canada for $6500, and sold it here for $3000 !!!

I would like to have an enclosed trailer, but would rather settle for a cheap modified boat trailer, or used flatbed, and use the money saved to pay hanger rent, or fuel.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

ColoradoKF,

When I bought my kit, on the gear, without an engine, wings off, I fit the whole thing in a 20' enclosed car hauler trailer. The trailer cost me about $5500 and I built long trays down each side for my wings and put tie downs on the walls to hold the wings against them.

I have an Avid Magnum and I'm not sure about the deminsions of a kitfox, but I believe the problem you run into is the width with the wings on, folded back.

Anyway look at the deminsions and then look for used enclosed trailers around $4000. If it will fit it will probably be cheaper than a custom job.

The trailer also works good as a storage unit while you are building your plane in the garage...you just have to remember which tools are in it! Ha!

What part of Colorado are you living in?

I'm in Pueblo West...

Good luck,

Ron

Posted

Thank you both for responding! I have the plane hangered right now. (It's at Springs East just east of COS. And will be moving it to Boulder. ). The enclosed trailer is for 'hangering' to get costs down. So it'll be in and out weekly. (Also right now hanger space is scarce around the Denver area.)

It is widest at the wing tips when folded. I've looked at some standard trailers and the plane won't fit in width wise. The trailer Mr. Sorenson is fabricating is 102" on the outside and 98" opening width which gives me about 1-1/2" space on both sides at the tips. So it looks like the trailer will work fine. I thought it wise to see if anyone has bought from him prior to doing the purchase. Scott

Posted

Scott,

I figured it would be the width...

I hear you on the lack of hangar space and the cost! You probably have a sweet deal there at Springs East.

I'm friends with Jeff Shultz, I believe he has a Sonex and a Challenger out there.

The custom trailer sounds like a great idea. Let us know if you find out more info, or if you buy one. It would be nice to not pay for a hangar and have the plane at the house to work on it.

There is an Airshow/Fly-in at Fremont County (1V6) Sept 19th. I will be manning our EAA Chapter's booth, come visit us if you get a chance.

Blue Skies,

Ron

Posted

Sure I know Jeff. Before his Sonex was finished we'd fly together some. Can't keep up with his new one though!

Posted

I have a 24 ft. enclosed trailer that I modified to carry my Avid Flyer Mk IV.  Works really well.  I paid $3,500 for it - had some easily repaired damage.  Currently my neighbor in Potter Valley has his Kitfox Mk IV in the trailer - storing it until he moves some of the airplanes in his hanger to make room for it.

post-702-0-95551900-1440967881_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looks like if you find a trailer with a rear door that folds down to make a ramp, then you don't have the door frame and hinges taking up room on each side. A small door on the side somewhere would also be a good idea.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

ED

I believe most have a man/woman/kids door on the right side

Posted

Thanks all for responding. I think the picture that 'Boat' posted shows what Ed says about increasing the inside width by using a fold down back door. This is the arrangement Mr Sorenson uses per his Barnstormers ad and links. And it does have a people door to get access to the front of the trailer without having to crawl under the plane!

Posted

Don't assume just because it has a fold down door the opening is full width.  Mine has the fold down ramp door, but it the opening is still has a 3" piece on each side for the door to snug up too - that 6" is a killer on an 8' wide trailer.

Measure it twice before you buy.  I only got this one because I needed it quickly, and it was in stock, otherwise I'd have looked for an 8.5 foot wide one with a full width back door.

MArk

Posted (edited)

Colorado,

Some of the trailers like the one pictured have a spring assist on the ramp / door, so you don't have to fight the whole weight of it. I am not sure how this is done - guess several ways - but should not take up any room on the sides of the trailer - maybe springs underneath, or cables above, or hydraulic / electric?

Guide boards and tiedowns for your wheels and tailwheel might also be a good idea, but you can add those yourself.

Hoping you find what you need and post photos for us.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Colorado,

Some of the trailers like the one pictured have a spring assist on the ramp / door, so you don't have to fight the whole weight of it. I am not sure how this is done - guess several ways - but should not take up any room on the sides of the trailer - maybe springs underneath, or cables above, or hydraulic / electric?

Guide boards and tiedowns for your wheels and tailwheel might also be a good idea, but you can add those yourself.

Hoping you find what you need and post photos for us.

EdMO

Mine has what looks like a garage door spring, with cables that attach to the door.  I can't imagine how I'd lift it otherwise, the door ramp is rated for 4,500 lbs and is HEAVY.  The sides aren't there because of the door lift, they are there just to make the opening narrower and p*ss me off I think  :soapbox: .  I suspect they are the structural support for that overhead spring, and the back of the trailer since the door doesn't provide any strength.  If the door had pins or something to engage the opening when closed, that support probably wouldn't be needed.

Mark

Posted

Mark,

When I was looking at them my plan was to cut out a section of the back where the wings and horizontal could fit it, then have an aluminum angle plate I could slip in place with a pin that the door closes against to cover the opening I cut out.  That way I could make any of the available trailers work.  Just make sure you pull the pins and get that aluminum plate off the door frame before you push back! 

:BC:

Posted

Mark,

It looks like the trailer posted above has pin latches on the outside of the walls.

EdMO

Posted

The Sorenson trailer in Barnstormers advertises '98+' inches inside width at the rear door. He has an option that replaces the garage door style rear ramp cables on each side with a torsion bar support at the bottom hinge of the ramp. I think it's called an 'infinite hinge'.

Posted

Sounds like a good design.

EdMO

Posted

Mark,

When I was looking at them my plan was to cut out a section of the back where the wings and horizontal could fit it, then have an aluminum angle plate I could slip in place with a pin that the door closes against to cover the opening I cut out.  That way I could make any of the available trailers work.  Just make sure you pull the pins and get that aluminum plate off the door frame before you push back! 

:BC:

If I was using the trailer to haul or store the Avid regularly, I'd have performed some surgery on it, but I only needed it to get the Avid from California to Illinois.  Now I need it to get from Illinois to Florida, but I need to take it apart to recover it, and repair and repaint anything under the old fabric that was finished for dry California air instead of nice juicy Florida air....

Mostly, the trailer is used to haul crap from point A to point B.  Owning a trailer is even more dangerous than owning a truck.  My friends have learned I'll be happy to let them use the trailer, and I'll be happy to drive, but they are loading and unloading it!  I don't like beer, so there is no incentive for me to help...  :BC:

1 person likes this