Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wings in Turtle Deck

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone have a good pic of the turtle deck for a Model III (or similar)?

Trying to figure out the wing placement.  From what I gather it is to block bypass wind between the wing and turtle deck.

However, the wing will lay just over the rib foward, but have a huge gap aft (if keeping the same attachment line as suggested with the turtle deck.  Do they get bent down close to the proximity of the rib perhaps and just flap there?  Just seems like a low strength odd piece of aluminum hanging out there.

Do these even work and are they worth the trip?

Larry

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

LarryS,

I have asked myself the same question about whether they are worth the effort - but never posted it.

I donno...I guess Dean had a reason to put them on?

EdMO

I cant find anything in my KF1 or 4 books on them - Will Check Avid book later tonight.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I don't understand the question I'm lost, here is a rear shot of mine.

post-999-0-10444000-1440807037_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-49416200-1440807058_thumb.jpg

Posted

TJay - glad you posted your comment because I was lost too. I haven't started building yet and didn't know what to ask. By the way, nice looking work!

Posted (edited)

Looks GOOOD TJay,

What thickness are your TurtleDeck wings? The thingys that cover the gap between wings and TD.

Looks like plenty of reinforcement inside of TD -

Hope you can post an inside photo sometime.

I don't see any gap at the trailing edge like LarryS was asking about. I can see that they might cut down on drag/vortexes at wing gap.

EdMO

I see that you haven't mounted the center support for the skylight - is that next?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The whole thing is 2024 t3 .016

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the images TJ.  I see you have your baffles (I called them wings on the first post) on an angle to better mate with the top of the ribs.  I did the same.  My drawing seemed to indicate keeping them flush with the top surface of the turtle deck, which would cause a large gap near the rear of the rib (between the baffle and the rib).

Are these strong enough to not flap around and damage the paint and/or rib?  I am assuming so as I see no reference to secure these in any manner (though I have seen a local Avid tape these down to the rib).

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

They don't flop around.  you are correct to fit them to the top of the wing and not the turtle deck.

post-75-0-28484400-1440834147_thumb.jpg