C Clip install

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Guys,

I'm installing my Pistons after doing a decarbon on the 582 and realize getting the c clips back in is a chore! Any body have a technique for this that doesn't scratch the Pistons? Rotax has a tool for $175 for this, do I have to use this? Does anyone have one I can rent from them? Thanks, Bryce

Posted

I filed a notch in a small flat blade screwdriver.  That makes installing them a "snap"  No more C clips flying around the garage after that.  I have used it on many snogo and outboard engines rebuilding them as well.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni! Where on the blade did you file the notch?

Posted

As close to the edge as I could get it and still have a little meat left on the bone.  A well placed thumb and a few times of doing it and you can snap that clip in real easy.  Just make sure you are not as dumb as I was the first time and slip the pin in from the outside in so you have room to work on the bugger one on the outside of the piston instead of between the two..

Posted

AKflyerBob used a pair of old needle nose pliers and filed a small grove just back from the tips of the pliers to help put his in.  he was able to then grab the clip in the middle and squeeze the clip and drop it in.. I tried his way and shot the clip around the garage a few times before I got it to work for me.

If I was doing these every day I would probably buy the tool just to save on my alcohol bill  :lol:  But its pretty easy once you do a couple with the screw driver.  Mike Stratman had an article on this on the CPS site.  You may search for that one.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Leni, your the best!