Avid Mark 4 Project for sale

26 posts in this topic

Posted

I collected parts for a few years and have a complete collection to build a Mark 4. The Fuselage was lightly damaged during a hard landing and repaired professionally. There is a pair of speed wings that are very poorly built, they need to be disassembled and rebuilt. I have the speed wing extension kit that I bought from Brett for 1100 bucks. I was going to rebuild the speed wing with less washout and extend it finishing off the tips with Kitfox 4 droop tips that are included. Everything is there for the airframe except a left fuel tank.. I purchased a new cowl and the mixer arms from Brett also. cowl has never been cut, still the way I got it from Airdale. There is a set of wheels, tires, and brakes from a kitfox 4 and a set from a kitfox 3. There is a brand new pair of big fat tires on the Kit fox 3 rims.

582 grey head with 150 smoh. I flew my other Avid with it on the front for a couple of hours but wasn't comfortable with it because I didn't know who or how the engine was overhauled. I was going to send it and the gear box down to Rotax Rick for a fresh overhaul when we got closer to having the airframe complete.  it ran good but I had a fresh overhauled one in the garage and I swapped it. There are 2 532 engines, 3 B boxes, 2 two blade props, A bunch of exhaust parts, mutiple carbs, lots of engine parts, Cheek radiators and all the hardware to hook them up. There is all the required guages and insturments. Builders manual included.

There is a Kitfox 4 582 motor mount, kitfox 1 bent and cut fuselage, extra control surfaces, and a bunch of other stuff.

You will need a left fuel tank ,covering material, Lexan, paint and TIME (which I don't have any to spare) to complete this project. I want to sell it all in one package. $7500.oo

Call Cliff 717-476-8747

1 person likes this

Posted

Why do the deals have to be so darn far away from me... I would love the extended speed wing with a lot less washout.  One of these years I will build one.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Why do the deals have to be so darn far away from me... I would love the extended speed wing with a lot less washout.  One of these years I will build one.

Most of us cant see Russia from our yard!

I'm glad Russia don't still own your yard!

I wish Cliff was my neighbor...

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

We need to clear out the hangar for a Champ that my brother is buying. We need this stuff gone. Any offers?

Posted

To the top for a great deal. This goes along with the expensive LSA thread I have going. Someone could have a nice MK4 with all this stuff on the cheap.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Joey,

I would buy his projects for that price in a minute if I didn't already have 3 Kitfoxes, and getting too old!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Far for me and I have 3 or 4 projects ahead of it that I'm not getting to. Wife does want me to take her to see her sister in Hartford Ct. though, and I thought "we could pull something home on our way back" Then I think about the Avid wing that needs the finishing tapes put on it in the same condition for the last couple of months waiting for me in the garage.... I better get working on what I have. Jim Chuk

Posted

I didn't advertise it anywhere else yet. The Champ might be here tomorrow and we want this stuff gone asap. Here is a list of what is there

Complete Mrk 4 Fuselage with mixer hardware, wide doors, full insturment panel, all gauges, Seat cushion and door panels lightly sunfaded. new uncut cowl, motor mount, cheek radiators and mounting hardware, stab, elev, cabane struts, wing struts, speed wings with one fiberglass, right tank. I removed one wing tip to start the extension kit, new speed wing extension kit, KF 4 droop tips, strobes and powersupply, speed wing flapperons, Nice bagage compartment with door, turtle deck, New anti inversion mixer arms, maule tailwheel, tailwheel  leaf spring, square rudder, tail wheel springs and chains, many exhaust parts, two 2 blade props, 2 spinners, One complete set of KF4 wheels tires brakes, one complete set of earlier larger KF wheels and brakes with new giant tires, 2 sets of brake peddles and brake cylinders, Stock landing gear, running 582 150smoh with B box,  two 532's with B box's time unknown, 2 starters, Box full of new rotax engine parts, KF 4  582 motormount, KF 1 9 gal header tank, KF1 insturment panel with all gauges, KF 1 turtle deck, KF 1 rudder, KF 1 busted up but repairable complete cowl, unused bungees that are 4 years old, KF 1 fuselage for partsbetn and butchered, One left hand KF3 wing strut. and much more

Everything is used, unless I mentioned that it was new and is in serviceable condition. Cleaning and painting of the used parts is required, No rust or corrosion is hidden by a fresh coat of paint, what you see is what you get. 

We don't have time to part this stuff out, would like to sell all to one person. 

NEW HANGAR CLEANOUT PRICE $5500.oo!!!!!! Buy this stuff and triple your money selling it as parts. 

Posted

Deal on Champ is done, Need to clean this stuff out. Any takers?

Posted

Wish you were on the West coast

Posted

I wish!  Your on the wrong coast or I would be there tomorrow! 

Your plane deal is about like the sprayer I just got.  Lex-Aire LX 75A with a couple other guns, a bunch of tips and needles, extra 3/4" hose etc... picked it up for 100 bucks..

Posted

Doug, you may as well add this to the collection :lol:  you should be able to flip it!

Posted

Looks like about 11 hrs round trip for me. If they were HH wings and ABW "giant tires", I'd be on the road by now. :rolleyes:

It's always about the time unless you're retired and looking for a project! I'm not retired and juggling 3 plane projects already (4 if you count the 'trying to keep the spouse happy while juggling 3 plane projects' project. Not to mention that my little 1/2 hanger is getting pretty full!

@ Cliff - I'll talk it up to a few folks here, any paperwork / logs on the Avid Mk-IV?

Posted

Sounds like Cliff needs to separate what he has and list them in Experimental Aircraft on Ebay.

EdMO

Posted

No paper work, just a collection of parts. There are some build pictures somewhere. The fuselage came from a guy who was on here years ago, He bent the landing gear and sent it out for repair. While it was being repaired he decided to buy a stretched one from Airdale and put a Jabiru on it. He sold his repaired fuselage to a friend of mine and I bought it from him. I bought some stuff from Snaps. The speed wings came off N90JW and have the thick spars, I had to measure them when I ordered the extension kit from Brett. I am positive they are the heavy duty ones.  I don't have time or patience to part it out. It would be a very inexpensive way for some one to put a very nice plane together or make some money parting it out. 

This is a short list of  what we paid for some of the stuff:

Mark 4 Cowl 600.00 new from Brett

speed wing extension kit 1100.00 new from Brett

KF 4 wheels, brakes and tires 400.00 used

Big tires on larger KF 1 wheels 250.00 new from Highwing?? I think

fuselage 1500.00 very nicely repaired by an A/I

Motor mount, cheek rads and hardware 400.00 used (from Snaps)

Speed wings, engine, prop, struts, Came on a flying plane that we upgraded to stol wing and a freshly overhauled engine. I figure we have 3500.00 in this stuff.

That is what I can remember.  We bought this stuff over a 5 year period , at one point my brother and I sat down and figured out that we had spent well over 10k on everthing we had. We may have paid too much for some of it , but live and learn. 

Posted

The Champ is in my hangar. Our Dream Avid project has faded. No time, Less patience, and a  Fully Restored L-16 Champ to fly, equales a good deal for some one.

Posted

The fuselage came from a guy named Mark Schindler. He sold it to a buddy of mine and I bought it from him. I think Mark use to post on here, I talked to him on the phone once, He told me the history of the damage and who repaired it. I unfortuatley never wrote anything down and can't remember the whole story. 

Posted

Schlindler was the guy who started the old "Unofficial" AvidFlyerAircraft.com website.  He bought a Fat Avid fuselage and started the site to document the swap of parts from his Mk-IV as I understood it. The site died off due to his lack of activity and admin support, but he never would let others take over so it's a bit of an overage orphan at this point. I didn't know he wrecked the Mk-IV but it makes perfect sense he kept the paperwork for his Fat Avid. I wonder where that plane is now?

http://www.avidflyeraircraft.com/fatavid.php

Posted

From what I understand from talking to  Mark is that he had a hard landing with grove gear and bent the fuselage. It really wasn't a wreck. It has an excellent repair done to it and is good as new. Maybe better because it was beefed up with a few gussets.

Posted

Hey Cliff, sorry if 'wreck' was a bit too dramatic. Wasn't really meant to suggest totaled. So what was reinforced, the bungee truss under the seat or the side longeron trusses under the door sills?

Posted

The side longerons have gusset plates welded in. We were plannig to do some reinforcing under the seat, just didn't get to it.

Posted

cliff,

I have an Avid MK IV and need the two steel muffler support brackets that hang the muffler below the engine. Do you have them, shown below? thanks, Nick

MUFFLERSUPPORTS.jpg

Posted

Cliff, have you sold your project?

Posted

cliff,

I have an Avid MK IV and need the two steel muffler support brackets that hang the muffler below the engine. Do you have them, shown below? thanks, Nick

MUFFLERSUPPORTS.jpg

I am pretty certain I have one at the house, but I am at work till the 29th.  I can look for it when I get home and shoot it off to you.

Posted

It sold very quickly, I had over 30 calls from a free ad on Barnstormers.

1 person likes this