Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Handheld radio issues

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I can't seem to get a handheld to work worth a darn. I can receive great but when I transmit there is so much background noise I'm almost unreadable. People can hear me fine on the ground or when I have the power pulled back. It's not interference noise its background noise. I can't believe my airplane is much louder than any other. I,ve triied different radios and headsets but nothing seems to help. Can someone suggest a set up they have had success with ?

Thanks

Skip

NC

Posted

I can't seem to get a handheld to work worth a darn. I can receive great but when I transmit there is so much background noise I'm almost unreadable. People can hear me fine on the ground or when I have the power pulled back. It's not interference noise its background noise. I can't believe my airplane is much louder than any other. I,ve triied different radios and headsets but nothing seems to help. Can someone suggest a set up they have had success with ?

Thanks

Skip

NC

Skip

I've not used a radio in my Kitfox but I have extensive use of  professional 2-way radio communications.

Your description of the squwak seems to indicate two possible sources of the noise.

1. The mic on the radio is not being disconnected when you attach a headset or the headset mic is not performing noise cancellation or it is not close enough to your mouth. Do you speak      loudly when transmitting?

2. The noise is not ambient sound

Has this situation suddenly become an issue? Additional information would be helpful.

Lou

Posted

In order for me to be able to talk to the tower and other aircraft I had to wire in a High Noise intercom.  If you want to keep things portable you can get one for an ultralight that has its own battery power supply, but then you have cords and crap going everywhere.  I have an SPA 400N that I put in mine, I think I found it on Ebay for 100 bucks.  I wish now I had gotten one that I could wire the ipod into for music on long trips. 

Posted

I've used the settings in the manual for headset use. The internal mic is not hot when the headset is plugged in. I've tried it with and without a flightcom intercom, doesn't seem to make any difference. It must be ambient noise, I can throttle back and people can hear me much better. I can really hear the background noise in the headset when I key the mic.

I've ordered a leather mic muff , I try that first then go to a high noise intercom.

Thanks

Skip

Posted (edited)

How about a Swiss muffler? Is that possible with a 2-stroke? I think they must do it in parts of Europe?

Or is it prop noise too?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Engine is a 912. With. Muffler

Posted

I needed mic muffs on Clark H10 headsets in my KF3/582 with King Kx99 handheld and Flightcom portable intercom. They are a pretty effective and inexpensive solution, assuming it's not electrical noise of course.