Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Yamaha RX1 gear box adaptor

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I saw a guy has adaptors to mount a C gearbox onto the Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile engine. Add is on barnstormers, and he has you tube videos of it as well. Here is a link for the video.

It would be interesting to see this engine get some more use and any bugs worked out. If you want to see the barnstormers add, search there using Yamaha, and it comes right up. Jim Chuk

Posted

They have been running that engine in gyro copters for a few years now.

Posted (edited)

What about the Artic Cat 4-stroke I see on TV? Not enough HP?

Still wondering what a "D" engine is...

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Posted (edited)

Thanks KFfan,

Too bad they didn't make a car for the D engine, then it might be cheaper than a limited production "aircraft" engine - Maybe that don't count now - Continental, Lycoming and Bombardier have made a Jillion engines, and they still cost too much!

A VW or Soob with redrive may still be the cheapest 4-stroke engine for small homebuilts.

How many HP is that RX1 SnoGo engine, and what do they cost?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, the Yamaha engine Jim shows in the first post on this thread is a good example of a mass produced engine that could be a good fit for small homebuilts.

I've been interested in this engine ever since I saw a post about it a year ago. There is a Kitfox not too far from me that has one, and it's reported to have amazing takeoff performance. I haven't gotten a chance to go see it, but I plan to. Now that this adaptor is being offered for the Rotax gearbox, I wonder if more people will try it. Here is a link to the barnstormers ad (I have no connection).

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_963253_Yamaha+RX-1+adapters.html

Anyone know of any drawbacks with this engine? As Leni said, Gyro guys have been using them for a while. There is a really long thread on one of the rotorywing forums about various user experiences. I'm surprised it hasn't been more popular based on the weight and power.

Luke D.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever gone to a Yamaha dealer and found out the cost for this engine?

Rpms? HP / Torque? Water cooled?

$1500 for adapter, plus how much for gearbox ($2500?) plus engine :huh:

I posted an ad for a Soob EA-81 with reduction drive and prop for $2500 OBO, and no one bought it that I know of.

I know its a little heavier than the 912, but guess the price don't matter to most working folks.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

No argument. The Subaru is a good engine. Many have had success with them. This is just another option. I think it's a little more comparable to the Rotax in the power to weight category. I have to admit it sounds a little too good to be true though. Read this thread for some more info:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16100

Sounds like most guys just buy a used snowmobile (sorry, that's what we call them in Oregon), and take out the motor. Early in that thread they say they can be had for about $3000, but that was in 2008. Not sure what they cost now. Maybe $3000 + $1500 + $2500 = $7000 ?? That's just using your number on the gearbox. I don't really know what they cost.

Also, if I bought a used Subaru for $2500, I know I'd be putting quite a bit more money into it before I was comfortable flying behind it. Like I said, nothing against the Subaru. Just another option.

Posted (edited)

Why would you put more money into a flying engine with dual ignition, if the compression and oil pressure is OK :huh:

Maybe to replace some parts with lighter ones? Even a complete overhaul is extremely cheap compared to Rotax or Lyco/Conti-saurus parts.

EdMO

I just found out that the Soob complete with redrive and IVO prop sold for $1425.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Just saw this on barnstormers.... Who wants to be the guinea pig? Jim Chuk

YAMAHA RX1 COMPLETE ENGINE • $7,500 • AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY • 2003 rx 1 145 hp engine with billet adapter cover for rotax drive comes with a c drive 3 to 1 final ratio is 3.57 to 1 with 1.19 pto shaft reduction stainless exhaust oil tank cooling plumbing all electronics to make it run just hook up 3 wires and it runs. this engine made 503 pounds of thrust with 4 blade powerfin prop. for sale only no trades • Contact Joey P. Martin, Owner - located Milton, FL USA • Telephone: 8506981023 . • Posted September 8, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

Edited by Jim Chuk
1 person likes this

Posted

That is A great engine, but to make full power I think it is around 9000 rpm so it has a built in gear reduction for the snowmobile clutch and then you have to add another gearbox seems like extra weight to me. Another down fall is when that engine overheats for just a split second the computer instantly puts it in limp mode, If they can reprogram that it will be a killer engine I think. My dad has a turboed three cylinder in his Nitro and it moves.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That is A great engine, but to make full power I think it is around 9000 rpm so it has a built in gear reduction for the snowmobile clutch and then you have to add another gearbox seems like extra weight to me. Another down fall is when that engine overheats for just a split second the computer instantly puts it in limp mode, If they can reprogram that it will be a killer engine I think. My dad has a turboed three cylinder in his Nitro and it moves.

TJay,

The original EA-81 Subaru (I call it Soob) car engines were hooked up to a computer, and also had a "limp-home" feature. I think it may have been around 3000 rpm, (that's engine speed - not prop speed), but would have to go back into my old books to be certain on that speed.

When adapted to aircraft, some rotary-craft continued to use the computer, but that was soon bypassed and a direct ignition system was used - some made dual points for it, and some even used dual coils. They sold heads in Australia with dual sparkplugs, which, IMO, were not needed.

They no longer had the limp-home feature connected, and it worked fine.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri