Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ADS-B

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I saw some guys were talking about ADS-B

I was wondering what you guys were thinking about for both in and out?

I am going to use the I-levil AW which will receive ADS-B in and transmit the info to your hand held device of choice ipad/iphone/android devices.

I went this route because I aso coupled a GRT-4000 EIS which the I-levil AW connects to and can display my engine info on the device I'm using.

I went ahead and put money down on a Navworx ADS-B out device. I need to be able to climb up over the Rocky Mountains and without ADS-B out it looked like you could only get to 13K in some places.

anyway, this was one way to crack the ADS-B nut...what are your plans?

Ron

Posted

I plan to use the IN feature on AVARE.

OUT requirement...I'll probably just steer clear of the areas where it is required.

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No plans until mandatory - staying away from congested airspace and will shoot at drones.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Drones...the enemy to all pilots.

Just after the events of this past week alone I think drone and RC aircraft are facing some serious legislation.

It is just a matter of time before a large scale accident happens! Whether it be a terrorist act or a drone hitting an airliner, it is going to change everything!

I already have a friend that almost had to bail out of his biplane because he took a large scale RC plane to the lower wing...not cool

I understand that the altitude restrictions of ADS-B Out won't have a huge effect on our type of flying, but if we keep giving in they will keep taking! I have no doubt that ADS-B Out requirements were designed to force GA traffic lower because a lot of pilots won't/can't buy the equipment. People that are based at higher elevations will definitely feel the airspace squeeze a lot more than guys closer to sea level. The cost of GA is going up and we are losing aviators rapidly because of it. The Feds love that because it will justify them taking more and more airspace!

Could I do without ADS-B Out? Probably...but I'm going to get it and an oxygen tank just to show them that I want 18K and below to belong to us! "Use it or lose it" is what we are facing...

Ron

Posted

EAA and AOPA are lobbying to enable use of NON-CERTIFIED ADS-B out devices in experimental and homebuilt craft. They also continue to lobby for 3rd class medical reform. Both are also lobbying to get all ADS-B IN information available whether or not you are transmitting OUT.

It is amazing they can, with seemingly little delay, authorize powered paper airplane use in airspace but not make any progress on changes that benefit thousands of pilots and general aviation.

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted

I looked at some of the non certified ADS-B Out setups, and the test results show that they work just fine. Now let's see if they make those legal for us? They are cheap, but if they don't get legislation passed it will be useless!

I bought the Navworx just to get over compliance while I'm building my panel and not have to retrofit later...this means that with my luck you guys will be able to buy them for $50 next month :(

Here is a link to the Navworx ADS600-EXP

http://www.navworx.com/ADS600EXPDescription.php

They have had trouble with production, but say they have started shipping them.

They cost about $1149 for the basic unit, but that quickly goes up adding a harness, antennae, and other parts.

It is a solution for In and Out...

It can hook up to modern Transponders, but they also have a device that can capture old transponder signals.

Anyway, something to look at...I made the plunge, but gritted my teeth the whole way.

I guess I should have saved it for last, because now my slush fund is empty and I still don't have a prop! Oops!

Ron

Posted

I guess I'm going to take the absolute opposite view on additional Fed regulation.  I'm going to ignore it.  By the way, who is checking anyway.  I'm probably not going to bother getting another medical, may not even bother with a BFR.  I fly an EXPERIMENTAL homebuilt airplane out of a non-towered airport in class G airspace.  I have a com radio but no transponder.  I usually have no business going into a controlled field or class B airspace. I fly anonymously for the most part and stay out of other peoples way.  And...  There is nobody checking.  Unless you have an unfortunate event that results in property damage or a fatality no one even comes out to look.  I have worried for years about being "Legal" and following all the rules (most pilots do) and spent a lot of money to do so to no tangible benefit.   So now I get to be one of those "Old Guys" that just does stuff because I can. 

MarkD

Posted

Uh, I'd take that post down.  The FAA might start watching you once the guys with the black helicopters see it  :lam:

Posted

MarkD,

I get what you are saying...I often feel we are over regulated and it is easy to take the F' it attitude, but I just witnessed a guy take that road and he got busted. He was running a skydiving business so it is a lot different when you are endangering paying customers, but I'll tell you he is facing serious fines and possible jail time.

I'm not sure you can dodge the ADS-B requirement in 2020 unless you stay out of the designated airspace, which will be easy to do with our little airplanes. ADS-B out is giving them your information/location and in their big scheme of things will replace the need for radar service.

We need the third class medical abolished! Here in Colorado we see people in their Later years buying the biggest Recreational Vehicle out there, hop on the highway and drive it at 75 mph...no requirements other than a drivers license! You can't tell me that flying an airplane endangers more people than that, or come anywhere close.

Unfortunately our system for changing the rules is obviously broken, and I'm sure now the FAA will have to deal with an increase in individuals breaking the rules...We need to be heard and our politicians need to take action! I'm not advocating breaking the rules by any means, but the heavier the regulations become the more we will struggle until we give up...

Anyway, my two cents...

Ron

Posted

I am just going to wait. It's 5 years away. Don't need it to fly right now. That being said, if I were to fly in a busy congested airspace a lot I would probably have it. It will get cheaper as time goes on. EXP will be the best solution for us if allowed.

Mike

Posted

The Navworx ADS-B 600-EXP is having production problems.  I'm still waiting for the unit I purchased in July.  However, they did agree to send me the wiring harness this week, so at least I will have everything ready to plug in and go.

knowing my luck, by the time they ship it to me all of the other competitors prices will have dropped!

it's only money...right?  I just wish I had more of it so I could blow it on more meaningless crap!

ron