Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A leak in my tank again

9 posts in this topic

Posted

My tank is leaking again. I have a little gas film coming out of my rear jury strut fitting. Trying to figure out if it is coming from the top rear of the tank or the bottom. Going back over to the airport tomorrow to check it again. I left just enough gas in the tank to cover the bottom 2/3s of the rear of the tank.

Posted

What do you guys think of the plastic drop in tanks? I really don't want to add 15 more pounds to my plane.

Posted

oh man, this sucks.  I am guessing you dont want to pull the tank or replace it, just drop in the newer plastic tanks?  How about cutting out the entire top of the old tank, lay in a layer of glass using the epoxy tank resin on the ID, then putting a new top on?  Should be able to lay it up in a day or two and not loose to much time or add much weight.

Posted

Looking at the plastic tank install pictures. It looks like the outboard tank drains into the inboard tank by a couple of small gas lines. Wouldn't this take some time to fill the inboard tank ?

Posted

Leni,

Been thinking and yes it does hurt. If I do go with the drop in tanks why couldn't I secure the tanks into my old tank, then use a thin piece of aluminum to cover the hole top of the tank. That way it would always be accesible.

Posted

I dont see a reason why you couldnt, unless they are using it as part of the structural integrity of the wing... Steve Winder could answer that one.  Pipers are that way, just an aluminum lid that is held on with sheet metal screws.  I have seen guys complaining about how long it takes to fill the tank because of the small transfer lines.  Why not just put 2 filler necks in and just have 2 gas caps on one side?  Would be a quick way to fill it.

Posted

Bandit,

You can check out Jack's Avid+2, on yahoo Avid site and see how I installed my tanks.  It wasn't too tough a job but I think you're right when you say it will take some time to fill both tanks. I wonder why you can't use larger fittings and speed up the flow.

Jack

Posted

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Posted

Jack,

Checked out your install pictures, they where great. Did you order them from the Kitfox and Avid Flyer Wingtanks website? So you just spray foamed the tanks in with no other attach points to the wing ? Will you be able to remove the alum cover if you have to work on the tanks ? Or did you rivet it to the fiberglass and then just use your inspection holes to check the fittings ? By cutting the top of the tanks off, does it affect the structure of the wing at all ?

Thanks for your help,

Mark