Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tailwheel Springs

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I have seen a few pics where I notice much beefier tailwheel springs than I have on my Model III.  Mine are the original two leaf version.

Any concerns with these smaller springs that I should be aware of?

Posted (edited)

My original two leaf spring top leaf is not full length.  The manual instructions are to take care to round the aft end to a kind of point and smooth that end real good so it can not cause a fracture point on the full length bottom spring.  I have made some hard...actually quite a few real hard when I was learning to fly my kitfox...landings.  Our paved runway here is cracked and real rough, rough enough that it says "Rough" in the facilities directory and it hasn't broke.  But...I keep hearing stories about those springs breaking and causing rudder and other damage so this year I replaced it with the two full length leaves off the three leaf spring that Kitfox sells.

Edited by tcj

Posted

I read that Avid replaced the 1 1/4" spring with a 1 1/2" spring on the MkIV.

EdMO

Posted

The two leaf spring should serve you well. Most of the problems were with the single leaf spring.. I ordered the thre leaf and only used two on my KF III. No problems.

Posted

Great info.  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I have a Grove aluminum tailspring that I plan to use as a tailskid, with an extension bolted on, and attach a wheel to it when I need to fold the wings and put the weight on the tail - That makes a nose-dragger a lot easier to move around since you cant pick up the tail with the fuselage handle after wings are folded.

If I need extra weight in the tail for CG, then I can just leave the tailwheel on, or use steel springs.

EdMO

I guess for Leni's benefit, I could say, "leave the training wheel on"! :lol:

Edited by Ed In Missouri