Airdale Backcountry s/n 007 Rebuild Diary

31 posts in this topic

Posted

HELLO All

Welcome to my Airdale Backcountry s/n 007 restoration Diary.  Over the next 2 years ... hopefully sooner ... I am going to chronicle the rebuild this bird from the ground up.  I initially debated if I should remove all the fabric but have now decided to do exactly that.  The wings were never in question, they were going to be recovered.  The frame has a little  "surface rust?  I will post photos.  I am going to have it bead / sand blasted and re-coated. The frame is currently powder coated.

Below is a reprint of a post I put in the General Category.  Since this is an Airdale I thought it would be better to start a new thread in the Airdale Category.   Probably best to start with my introduction post.  (see below).

I am the PROUD new owner of an Airdale Backcountry kit (exactly the same as shown on Airdale's home page.  Serial Number is 007.  The original owner of this kit was Mr. John Larsen.   S/N 007 has has never flown and I am the 3rd owner of the kit.  It is probably 50% complete.  My wife and I picked it up two weeks ago.  We were VERY fortunate to have been able to arrange a meeting with Mr. Jerry Matison (former owner of Airdale).  We also got to see his Airdale S/N 001.  It is in his hanger on floats ... what a BEAUTIFUL sight.  We took a number of photos.  See attachments.  The plane shown on Airdale's home page is Jerry's plane but on wheels.  My plane has the extended speed wings ... not the STOL wings as Jerry's plane has.   Oh ya, the speed wings are missing the fiberglass wing tips.  Apparently, I can order these from Kit Fox.  I have seen an article, detailed in writing and photos, where someone installed these on a wing similar to mine.

I was also very fortunate to be able to speak with Mr. John Larsen prior to purchasing my kit.  As most of you know he has been involved with Avid, Kit Fox and Airdale and has helped design many of the features of their aircraft.

The wings and fusealge are covered and painted with initial silver coat.  I will be stripping off the dacron from the wings to get a better look before I recover them.  One wing has the new Airdale ethanol resistant fuel tank, the other wing has the regular fiberglass fuel tank.  I will try to post a few photos of the kit as it sits now.

Looking forward to any and all comments.

Brian

Captaincanuck

post-710-0-48140400-1442247468_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-26510700-1442247491_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-00446500-1442247513_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-48768300-1442247664_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-73961700-1442247692_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-65813900-1442247715_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yesterday I stripped the fabric off the wings before removing them.  The Airdale is now in the Garage, wings are on the wall.  I will be removing all the fabric from the fuselage later this week.  Shortly, I will have it all striped down to just the airframe.  EVERYTHING is coming out and off ... engine, control linkages, seats etc...   Then it will be off to get it bead / sand blasted and either re-powder coated or epoy paint?   Any thoughts / recommendations?

A few photos of the wings stripped.  I plan on replacing the Right hand fuel tank, with the same as on the left side.  I was told it was a tank from Kitfox?

Stay tuned ... MORE notes and photos to come.  : )

post-710-0-28149000-1442248131_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-73158100-1442248153_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-77317200-1442248176_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-74445900-1442248199_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-67247300-1442248222_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-13854800-1442248245_thumb.jpg

post-710-0-56482900-1442248267_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have one suggestion. leak test the fuel tanks before you re-cover. The glass tanks have been known to develop leaks for on reason or another, and it is much easier to correct anything wrong before covering!

Posted

Thanks ... what a GREAT idea.  : )    Something I should have thought of ... duh!  Boy, would I be pissed if I recovered them and found out there was a leak.  Again Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Not only leak test, but plug all the threaded holes and put a gallon or two of non-alcohol gas in a tank and slosh it around good before you mount it into the wing, put a rag over a bucket when you dump the gas out and see how much fod comes out of the tank. You might want to do this a 2nd time depending on how much shit you get out of the tank.

A dark rag will help show the fiberglass strands and dust better.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Ed ... will do!  

Posted

OK ... just got off the phone with the auto body shop that does the bead blasting, sand blasting and powder coating.  They are SUPER busy and it would be at least April before they can get to it.  Also, price is about $4,500 to do the fuselage.  Since the fuselage is in such good condition he suggested I hand sand it and prime and epoxy it myself.  Good news for me, cause I thought $4,500 was a little much ... maybe not?

Looks like I have a little sanding to do.  That's OK, it will give me something to do through our long cold winter.  

Posted

That price is high! I got an estimate of $500 and Av8R3400 had his Kitfox done for under $200.

Posted

If I remember right, you are near Thunder Bay Ontario.  Av8r3400 had his powder coated in Wisconsin.  Not that far from you.  Not sure if crossing the border creates problems, might be worth looking into.  Jim  Chuk

Posted

Hey Brian, congrats on the new project. Glad to see you will keep a builder thread here for everyone's benefit and enjoyment. Did Jerry or John ever mentioned exactly how many Airdale Flyer (BackCountry) model kits were produced, they seem just about as rare as the full Airdale Avid+ kits. Also, just curious what made you decide to get out of the amphib... I did everything I could to sit on my hands when I saw you selling!

Posted

I believe Jerry Matison said a total of 12 kits were made.  His is #001 and mine is #007.

The Catalina was picked up this past Saturday.  : (   A little sad but it has gone to a good home.   No time to build ... I know it sounds odd cause I am restoring the Airdale from the ground up but there are so many fewer parts to this bird ... a lot less fiberglass work and the wings are done ... although they do need a little work.  I don't see this taking me near as much time to get it complete.  I am going to have FUN trying.  : )

Posted

OK ... just got off the phone with the auto body shop that does the bead blasting, sand blasting and powder coating.  They are SUPER busy and it would be at least April before they can get to it.  Also, price is about $4,500 to do the fuselage.  Since the fuselage is in such good condition he suggested I hand sand it and prime and epoxy it myself.  Good news for me, cause I thought $4,500 was a little much ... maybe not?

Looks like I have a little sanding to do.  That's OK, it will give me something to do through our long cold winter.

This sounds excessive,ring around !

Posted

Crystal Finishing in Wausau Wisconsin. Cost me $168 U.S. To have mine blasted, treated and powder coated. Even including shipping that's a far cry from what you were quoted!

http://www.crystalfinishing.com

I could assist you with logistics if you needed...

Posted

Cool. thank you for the information.  I will look into Crystal Finishing.

Posted (edited)

Certainly not knocking Crystal Finishing prices - I paid $1000 for blast and 2 coats of epoxy -

BUT, if the fuselage is in good shape, and not rusted, why not just rub it down with some scotchbrite , or take it outside and do minor blasting, or sanding on it if any rust, and spray your own epoxy on it? No shipping charges to pay.

Mine was freshly welded, so it needed a good blasting and quick epoxy painting.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Wow, how in the world can two companies be so far apart on the same services? Good golly, 27x cost plus 7 months lead time! I guess that is their rather adamant but less than polite way of saying 'thanks, but no thanks' we don't need your stinkin' business.

Posted

Wow, how in the world can two companies be so far apart on the same services? Good golly, 27x cost plus 7 months lead time! I guess that is their rather adamant but less than polite way of saying 'thanks, but no thanks' we don't need your stinkin' business.

My inital thoughts exactly...

Posted

Congrats on the Airdale Brian.  I think you will enjoy it as much as I do my Avid+.  I look forward to your building posts.  Just curious why you are completely stripping it?  Was the build quality questionable or weathered?

Posted

Hey Randy

The fuselage (steel frame) needs a little work, the fabric seems OK??? ... although I am not an expert by any means.  Hopefully, this weekend I will get some photos of the fuselage and misc parts and post them.  Some parts have a little "tarnish" /  what seems to be "surface rust".  Since my plan is to keep this bird for a LOOOOOOOG time I would to make sure it lasts.

This may sound a bit odd but I REALLY want this bird to look as good as it will fly ... so, a ground up restoration seems like the way to go.  The heritage of this particular plane is kinda cool ... originally owned by John Larsen (designer) ... so i thought I would give it the attention it deserves.   Also, a bit of personal pride ... I would like to honestly say ... I assembled this kit, every part (except the wings).  Just one of my "bucket list" things to do.  Build (assemble) a plane and fly it!  The good news, the wings are built so that will save a lot of time.  One drag tube needs replacing in the left wing and I would like to replace the Right side fuel tank.  Want to also get cosmetic flapperon plastic end caps and a few other misc. items.  Already spoke to Dave? at Kitfox.  I am just getting him the information he requires so I can get the correct parts ordered.  Any other suppliers I should be looking at for parts?

Can you say PUMPED caused I am REALLY PUMPED to get into this project.  Some people look at it and have said "WOW, that looks like a lot of work".  I look at it and think "WOW ... this is going to be a lot of FUN!"

2 people like this

Posted

Good for you.  I totally understand and built mine for myself as well with no intention to ever sell it.  That will be up to my kids after I am gone I hope.  Build it the way YOU want it and don't worry about resale.  Who cares if the next owner may want it to have the small wheel on the wrong end.  :lmao:

Posted

Hey Randy

The fuselage (steel frame) needs a little work, the fabric seems OK??? ... although I am not an expert by any means.  Hopefully, this weekend I will get some photos of the fuselage and misc parts and post them.  Some parts have a little "tarnish" /  what seems to be "surface rust".  Since my plan is to keep this bird for a LOOOOOOOG time I would to make sure it lasts.

This may sound a bit odd but I REALLY want this bird to look as good as it will fly ... so, a ground up restoration seems like the way to go.  The heritage of this particular plane is kinda cool ... originally owned by John Larsen (designer) ... so i thought I would give it the attention it deserves.   Also, a bit of personal pride ... I would like to honestly say ... I assembled this kit, every part (except the wings).  Just one of my "bucket list" things to do.  Build (assemble) a plane and fly it!  The good news, the wings are built so that will save a lot of time.  One drag tube needs replacing in the left wing and I would like to replace the Right side fuel tank.  Want to also get cosmetic flapperon plastic end caps and a few other misc. items.  Already spoke to Dave? at Kitfox.  I am just getting him the information he requires so I can get the correct parts ordered.  Any other suppliers I should be looking at for parts?

Can you say PUMPED caused I am REALLY PUMPED to get into this project.  Some people look at it and have said "WOW, that looks like a lot of work".  I look at it and think "WOW ... this is going to be a lot of FUN!"

Check out Murle Williams Aviation Catalog on internet - He sells some good stuff for Kitfoxes and Avids.

EdMO

Posted

Brian - two Q's...

Did Mark ever get the other wheel pant for your Airdale from Kenneth? http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/1306

When you get a chance, I could use some measures off your fuse and firewall. I want to compare to my A+, thanks.

Posted

Cool,  I will ... Thanks Ed.  

Posted

Sure, no problem ... what measurements do you need?

Yes, regarding the wheel pants ... I think ... I have two wheel pants.  I will double check but it looks like I have an left and right.  One is factory new, untouch, just smooth fiberglass, not even a white gel coat.  The other one is white and has been trimmed and mounting holes drilled.  

Posted (edited)

I have one suggestion. leak test the fuel tanks before you re-cover. The glass tanks have been known to develop leaks for on reason or another, and it is much easier to correct anything wrong before covering!

When/if I remove my wings, I will seal my fiberglass tanks.

http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

I've a friend who used the Caswell system in fiberglass tanks and swears by it.  He needed a chisel and hammer to get some off the garage floor that he'd spilled. 

Once your tanks are sealed you will have the option of using ethanol w/out any worries of fiberglass deterioration/attack.

Congrats by the way.  What a great piece you acquired!

Paul

Edited by allonsye