Airdale Backcountry s/n 007 Rebuild Diary

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Cool, thank you Paul for the gas tank sealer tip.  I will look into it.  I really want this project to last so anything I can do to extend the life of all parts is great.  One of the reasons I will be removing the fabric.  I want to make sure the fuselage is in mint condition before covering and painting.

Agreed, I think the Airdale is an awesome plane as well.  Soooo, much more room in it than an Avid Mark lV.  : )

Posted (edited)

I used the Caswell epoxy sealer in my tanks before I installed them and really liked it.. .probably not so easy after the tank is installed but doable with a couple of people to roll the wings around.  I have a test piece of the epoxy soaking in gasohol for about three years+ and it is still untouched..

PS the mix ratio is critical and touchy!

Edited by Paul S

Posted

Not a bad weekend.  I found some time to work on the Airdale.  Well, she is looking naked and sexy ... I stripped off ALL the fabric from the fuselage.  Engine, engine mount and firewall off.  Next up is the removal of all the control cables, push rods and foot pedals.  Then the rebuilding begins.  : )   The photos were take before I finished all the work today.  Tomorrow I will pick up some MEK ... apparently, that is what I will need to clean up the light residue on some of the steel tubing.

Restoration 003.JPG

Restoration 017.JPG

Restoration 018.JPG

Restoration 024.JPG

Restoration 025.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good.  It appears your making good progress on going backwards while moving forwards :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Wow, how in the world can two companies be so far apart on the same services? Good golly, 27x cost plus 7 months lead time! I guess that is their rather adamant but less than polite way of saying 'thanks, but no thanks' we don't need your stinkin' business.

The $4.5K bid was an "I don't want the work" bid.