Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Light-Sport Aircraft Final Rule.... Reminder

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Just Thought I'd re-post the link to the all important FAA/DOT document that says it all....

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/sport_rule.pdf

I am somewhat flattered, and and will be a bit arrogant, in stating that during all my postings on the "List" site regarding "maximum takeoff weight" vs (cough) "gross weight" that not once did I get scolded or corrected by Mr.McBean.

It is nice to see..., in a "in you face" sort of way..., that the ones who spoke out against me the loudest, had constant fitts  ;) of anger, and wanted to du/e/ke  ;) it out, now just keep quit with nothing to say about the subject when it arises on their site. Probably hoping no one remembers the stand they took, and how it now hurts their "community credibility" as experts on everything/anything.

Which reminds me...  anyone check the "Ask The Expert" EAA rep Joe Norris site lately?

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmtopics.asp

He hasn't posted a single new piece of his "advise" about "gross weight" in over 4 weeks now. I feel like posting a new question there, but he doesn't seem to take kindly to me. Must be something I said......

Don't get me wrong folks... I'm a nice guy. Just a simple pilot and mechanic. But when someone starts throwing "Professional Titles" at ya as though you are supposed to think they are some sort of god...., well, .... never mind.

Anyway, Hope I'm not scaring away any potential members here. If anything, I'm upholding the spirit of the site and showing that we're not a bunch of stuffed shirts, yacking about Loc-tite for a week.

Lurkers.... we know you are out there...that's cool, but feel free, and welcome to add your own topics. Ain't no one gonna mind. AKFLYER set this place up for us... pretty neat too. We gots to give him some reading material...   :beerchug:

steve   84KF

Posted

Well I must say that particular subject is pretty critical for some of us in the beginning build stages. It would be most helpful if posters would refrain from representing their opinions as fact until the smoke clears and everyone has a general consensus of what a regulation is in fact. Common sense will reveal the intent of the reg. and a careful reading helps too. I guess that this particular argument becomes somewhat moot when a couple of builders state  that they have registered their 5s or 6s with a 1320 gross weight. I got by the house yesterday just long enough to read some manual and admire some of the work done by the previous owner on mine. It's not too important to me what it weighs in at as it's my understanding that one needs a private (as opposed to sport) license to test and fly the forty hours anyway. I suppose that the lsa qualify would mean a larger market at selling time. I'm done with this question for a while I guess. I do wonder how it's been handled on some of the other forums.

Posted

".....as it's my understanding that one needs a private (as opposed to sport) license to test and fly the forty hours anyway."

JSD,

I have never seen, or read anything from the FAA that says a sport-pilot cannot test fly his/her own lsa eligible aircraft.

While I disagree with EAA joe norris on mtow issues, here is what he has to say about testing...

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=53

...and as I said, I am not aware of any FAA document/publication that would disagree.

I have found that many FAA reps will give an "opinion" hoping you will just take their word for it and go away. I would ask to see the rule, regulation,etc...in print if this is your case. I don't believe they have one.

Hope the EAA site reference helps.

steve

Posted

Steve,

Did you keep a copy of your dissertation on the MTOW debate you had posted up on the previous version of this site???? I am hoping you had it in a word doc or something.. It may be helpful to post it up again if you do have it..I am still seeing lots of advertisements in magazines etc. for the "sport eligible 1320 gross weight"  I am still looking on my paperwork for any mention of a "gross weight" (or any weight for that matter) and have yet to see one mention of it other than a hand written 1085 on the original sales ticket when the kit was purchased.

I had to read you nice jab twice to figure it out... then I spewed my bloody Mary on my key board.. thanks  :lol: I was trying to nurse the hangover away with a good spicy one and now my friggin nose is on fire!

:beerchug:

Posted

Leni,

Some  new/old questions being asked on the "List" I see.... I wonder how the boys will handle it this time.

Anyway... about ads and articles..... remember that while "light-sport" is a general term, referring to any aircraft that meets the FAR 1.1 definition, there are now  aircraft certificated under FAR  21.190  Issue of a special airworthiness certificate for a light-sport category aircraft that are now called Experimental Light-sport, and Special Light-sport.... ELSA &SLSA.

The ELSA can be bought in kit form, but that kit must be FAA approved and there are strict guide lines for assembly, such as no deviations from the approved included instruction. This type of aircraft may then be used for compensation and hire.  Our Experimental Amateur-Built can not.

Maintenance regs are more strict also.  There are lots of thing that that make up a LSA Category, wile we only have to meet the definition.  And, LSA Category aircraft are ALWAYS limited to 1320 lbs, in order to remain LSA catagory, while ours are not, except when operated under sportpilot rules.

This is what McBean meant (I believe) when he said ".... most people do not know or simply do not separate the Light Sport Aircraft (Aircraft category definition) from the Sport Pilot License (Airmen certificate)"

So if the ads you see are rerering to LSA catagory kits,(ELSA) or factory assembled (SLSA) that may be where the confusion starts.

...To be continued.

Now some new pictures...just for you.

It was "Take your Kitfox to work day" today..... so I did.

73_016_JPG73010c33fd924017da3d0832578de6

75_013_JPG87bae73dff130a9dce5c457f61ee18

77_009_JPG5f22fa2fc9039f0150d0e536cfc523

79_012_JPGbc70a96c4dde0642253b120a0b9dc6

Posted

I had read that one had to be a private pilot to test and fly the forty hours in some EAA publication recently but it occurs to me that it could have been written before the sport pilot cert. was in effect. It may have been on a chapter website. Thanks for the info. & pics..--Scott