Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

So whats up with the fat bastard builders???

30 posts in this topic

Posted

you guys all give up and put a tarp over the projects?  POsting up progress is a good way to help stay motivated!  I have been told by my employees that I have some piss ways to motivate (but it gets the job done) so dont make me start ragging you into production :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

Leni,

Still moving along, fuselage and tail feathers painted, fuselage yellow with white belly, small red and black stripes between colors.  Started on my wings, but the rotator I built out of plastic pipe broke and dropped the left wing on the floor.  Now I have to do some repairs, rib already glued, fabric to be patched yet.  Rotator repaired and will continue on.  The fabric should be easy using Stewart System, wasn't even primed, so not many touch-up issues.     

I'll post a picture or two when I get a chance.  Going to be switching to a different paint gun for doing the wings, The other on worked, but it didn't lay the paint on very smooth.  I'm switching to an hvlp gun with a gravity feed cup rather than one the pressurizes the cup.  May have introduced too much air into the paint.  Not good.  Looks ok, but not a show plane, not bad for first effort though, about a 10 footer.

Jack 

Posted

Mine is the same way.. Was in way to big of a hurry to get it in the air to waste time sanding between coats etc.  when I was shooting the top coat, I had the wing hanging, and just kept walking around it as it was dry by the time I got one side done, so I had the top coat on thewing complteded in about an hour.  Could have spent a little more time on the tape edges with the iron, but I really thought they were all down good till the top coat.  I was able to go back over them using a plastic oven bag laid over the tapes, then hit it with the iron.  Make sure is you do this, you let the paint cool before you try to peel the oven bag off!

I knew from the start that I was not building a hangar queen and I have allready put a hole or two in it running around in the alders and willows.. But that is what I bought and built it for so I am all good with it!

Posted

Leni,

When you use the oven bag over any tape that needs additional ironing, will it stick to the paint at first, then release after it cools?  Did the pinked edges stay down when done?  I have a patch over an inspection hole that needs some help.  At least with this one it's in an area that doesn't jump out at you, it's back by the rudder post, just in case I have a problem with it.

Thanks for the idea.

Jack

Posted

yes, when it is still hot, it wil stick a bit, but you let it cool down for a few seconds and she will peel right off.  This was a trick outa the polyfiber manual.  The edges do stay down after you iron them in!  I still have a few spots on my wings I need to hit when I bring it home one of these days. :beerchug:

Posted

Thanks, I'll try it on the inspection cover patch.

Jack

Posted

you guys all give up and put a tarp over the projects?

Keeping a low profile, didn't want to scare anybody else off.  :beerchug:

Posted

dont worry about running anyone off... Progress reports are what we need here!

Posted

and another months ticks by with no progress reporting going on here...... the suspence is killing me, you girls working on the planes or ya just sitting around in the garage sweeping and tipping back a few?

Posted

Definitely more wood cutting/splitting, leaf vac-ing and suds tipping than airplane building going on here for the past few weekends. Most exciting thing I can report on is the seat fabrication is in progress. Wifey not too handy with a sewing machine so I traded a 90gal. fish tank to an auto upholsterer to make up conform foam cushions and covers with an embroidered logo like my avatar. Fingers crossed, we'll see how that all works out...

Posted

sweet!  I bought my wife a spendy sewing machine with the embroidery unit etc thinking one day I would get her to make custom wing covers, hats, shirts etc. with the logo on it... I dont think the damn thing ever got outa the box.  Gonna have to get on her about that now cause I think the seat covers with the logo on it would be cool!

Posted

OK guys, I am getting ready to buy plane ticket and come kick some fat bastard builders asses if they keep collecting dust! Get your priorities straight. Planes, Beer, food. everything else just does not matter :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Hi Leni,

Well I thought I better say something or you will give up on all of us. I hope to have mine flying by early summer so if I am lucky it will make it by late summer (I need it for hunting season). If I could figure out how to post pictures to the site I would post some. I have my fusalage covered and painted; interior in; doors on; Subaru EA81 built and installed with dual nose radiators and carb heat, FWF done, cowling modified and done; built new landing gear 5 1/2" taller than the Airdale wide gear and with 3 attachment points on the fusalage instead of 2, (gear and wheels are on but will change to 26" bushwheels when I take my Avid down), raised skylite by 1" in front and 2 1/2 " in rear to clear my head better; strobe, tail and dual landing lights installed, Installed MGL E1 Engine monitor and Flight 2 primary flight instruments - very cool, these two instruments give: tach 1, hobbs, 2 EGT, 2 CHT, oil press, water temp, set alarms, tach 2, hobbs 2, setable maintenance time , volts, airspeed, altimeter, vert speed, TAS, setable high and low airspeed alarms, OAT, density alt, fuel guage or fuel settings, fuel flow, fuel bingo, time and distance to fuel bingo at airspeed, reat time clock, timer, alarms, etc, etc....all backlit. I hope I don't regret the choice verses steam guages. They sure give you a lot of info and they are very lite. I built a recessed mount for my Garmin 196, battery installed in rear of cargo area, main electrical is done. On waiting list for the new ACK 406 ELT. I don't want to have to install my old 121.5 from the Avid since it is worthless but still checks the legal requirement if I can't get a reasonable 406. The panel is done except for the radio and intercomm since I will use the ones out of my Avid. My Avid wings have been fitted so they will plug on, I still have to transfer the wings, comm, brakes, horizontal stab, elect trim, rudder pedals and sticks. Since I don't have a heated hangar my progress is slow this time of year. Once Temps get back above freazing I will be going at it full tilt again. It will be dificult to finally take the Avid down for good though and transfer the parts.

I went out to fly today but my starter on the Avid bit the dust. I always wonder if I should just start start taking it apart but I couldn't take the thought of not getting some more ski flying in this winter so I pulled the starter out and ordered a new one. Hopefully it will be here by next weekend so I can get back in the air. If you are going to do a trip toward Palmer, Big Lake, Skwentna or anywhere in this neck of the woods, let me know and I will try to meet up with you. If you want to take a look at the Fat Avid, you will have to coach me through posting pictures (if it is possible using dial-up) or fly out to Wolf lake where my hangar is. I'll buy lunch.

Randy

Posted

Hi Leni,

Well I thought I better say something or you will give up on all of us. I hope to have mine flying by early summer so if I am lucky it will make it by late summer (I need it for hunting season). If I could figure out how to post pictures to the site I would post some. I have my fusalage covered and painted; interior in; doors on; Subaru EA81 built and installed with dual nose radiators and carb heat, FWF done, cowling modified and done; built new landing gear 5 1/2" taller than the Airdale wide gear and with 3 attachment points on the fusalage instead of 2, (gear and wheels are on but will change to 26" bushwheels when I take my Avid down), raised skylite by 1" in front and 2 1/2 " in rear to clear my head better; strobe, tail and dual landing lights installed, Installed MGL E1 Engine monitor and Flight 2 primary flight instruments - very cool, these two instruments give: tach 1, hobbs, 2 EGT, 2 CHT, oil press, water temp, set alarms, tach 2, hobbs 2, setable maintenance time , volts, airspeed, altimeter, vert speed, TAS, setable high and low airspeed alarms, OAT, density alt, fuel guage or fuel settings, fuel flow, fuel bingo, time and distance to fuel bingo at airspeed, reat time clock, timer, alarms, etc, etc....all backlit. I hope I don't regret the choice verses steam guages. They sure give you a lot of info and they are very lite. I built a recessed mount for my Garmin 196, battery installed in rear of cargo area, main electrical is done. On waiting list for the new ACK 406 ELT. I don't want to have to install my old 121.5 from the Avid since it is worthless but still checks the legal requirement if I can't get a reasonable 406. The panel is done except for the radio and intercomm since I will use the ones out of my Avid. My Avid wings have been fitted so they will plug on, I still have to transfer the wings, comm, brakes, horizontal stab, elect trim, rudder pedals and sticks. Since I don't have a heated hangar my progress is slow this time of year. Once Temps get back above freazing I will be going at it full tilt again. It will be dificult to finally take the Avid down for good though and transfer the parts.

I went out to fly today but my starter on the Avid bit the dust. I always wonder if I should just start start taking it apart but I couldn't take the thought of not getting some more ski flying in this winter so I pulled the starter out and ordered a new one. Hopefully it will be here by next weekend so I can get back in the air. If you are going to do a trip toward Palmer, Big Lake, Skwentna or anywhere in this neck of the woods, let me know and I will try to meet up with you. If you want to take a look at the Fat Avid, you will have to coach me through posting pictures (if it is possible using dial-up) or fly out to Wolf lake where my hangar is. I'll buy lunch.

Randy

Hey Randy. Posting pics is easy... just click the button that says click to attach files and then navigate to where ever you have the pics on your computer... I have a new 582 starter sitting on the bench. I can ship it up to you if it will get you into the air quicker. I am leaving Tuesday for 2 weeks at work, but if the weather permits, I will be flying up your way when I get back.. I have a buddy that has a place on fish creek lake that I hope to hang at for a few days. I will be ferrying in fuel from willow so I should be able to swing by Wolf Lake and check out the fat bastard.

Posted

time to bump this one to the top.... you boys are slacking on either the building or the updating! Either way, you are in danger of having a large burly Italian sent to your door to give you an attitude adjustment and help motivate you :lol:

Posted

time to bump this one to the top.... you boys are slacking on either the building or the updating! Either way, you are in danger of having a large burly Italian sent to your door to give you an attitude adjustment and help motivate you smilielol.gif

BC.gif

I can help with this, I know Doug,s address.frech11.gif

Posted

I can help with this, I know Doug,s address.frech11.gif

:lol: Damn Doug, with guys like us around you dont need any enemies :lol:

Russ, he has 3 days to get on the ball or I will need you to PM that address :lmao:

Posted

I will be back up North next week, if need be I can do the deed. Not Italian, but 6' 240# German. Russ.tongue.gif

Posted

Doug's been hiding over at the Kitfox forum! What's up with that?!

Posted

time to bump this one to the top.... you boys are slacking on either the building or the updating! Either way, you are in danger of having a large burly Italian sent to your door to give you an attitude adjustment and help motivate you smilielol.gif

BC.gif

Just been messing with the little detail stuff for now. Hope to get all the pieces and parts built for one final paint session when the weather is warm enough.

post-75-1271050335848_thumb.jpg

post-75-12710504355493_thumb.jpg

post-75-1271050515492_thumb.jpg

post-75-12710505990328_thumb.jpg

Posted

I will be back up North next week, if need be I can do the deed. Not Italian, but 6' 240# German. Russ.tongue.gif

Unleash the Kracken :snack: The boy needs a priority realignment Russ.

Posted

Sorry guys, cancer diagnosis and emergency surgery in the family a few weeks back. College tours for youngest, tax time and biz s#!t all make for the perfect storm it seems. Stinks because we had a great stretch of weather, hit a record 90*, but was out of town dealing with life. Never had so many distractions at once, hope I don't grow old before I get back to work in the shop.

And thanks for the laugh Leni... LOL!!!... Russ talks a good game but he's just another 6' 240# German PUSSYCAT in pink velvet lederhosen... in true German marital tradition, everyone knows dear Fräulein wears the trousers in his house!

Hehe, that'll probably cost me more than a few beers! :beerchug:

Posted

Sorry guys, cancer diagnosis and emergency surgery in the family a few weeks back. College tours for youngest, tax time and biz s#!t all make for the perfect storm it seems. Stinks because we had a great stretch of weather, hit a record 90*, but was out of town dealing with life. Never had so many distractions at once, hope I don't grow old before I get back to work in the shop.

And thanks for the laugh Leni... LOL!!!... Russ talks a good game but he's just another 6' 240# German PUSSYCAT in pink velvet lederhosen... in true German marital tradition, everyone knows dear Fräulein wears the trousers in his house!

Hehe, that'll probably cost me more than a few beers! beerchug.gif

Watch out I'am back!!! Hope all is ok with the family issues. Will call you soon Russ.

Posted

Any Fat Avid builder updates? I know how it goes about taking pictures of what you are doing but I would like to see some progress I think it will be plane number 2 for me.

Posted

I think I may have to start tinkering with the custom member titles.. Maybe we can have a contest for the new title.. My way to early in the morning contribution to get this party started is

Fat Bastard Slackers :lol:

I do know how it goes once a new plane shows up in the stable though. When I first started my rebuild, I had 98% of it done in the first couple months. then my brother showed up with his Kitfox and I just flew the piss out of his plane the first year. Finally, I knew if I did not hand my set of keys (to his plane) back to him I would never get back on my project. I relenquished the keys and a week and ahalf later I did the maiden on my bird!

But that was my story, so you have to come up with your own damn excuse Doug! :lol: