Another cool product by Bear Perkins

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I was on Bear Perkins page the other day shopping for a few things to tune up my new Powered Parachute and came across a cool new product he's selling. I have holes drilled in my "self venting" gas cans so they actually vent. When done I screw a sheet metal screw into the hole. These little things look pretty trick and should vent even better.

$5 for a set of two

He also sells a carb unification plate that works well and helps preserve your carb boot among other little useful parts and pieces that are tough to find.

http://www.bearperkins.com/accessories.htm

post-40-0-56273600-1442408010.jpg

post-40-0-41436400-1442408015_thumb.jpg

Posted

Speaking of gas cans a while back someone at my community hangar decided they needed to "borrow" my gas can and when it was returned the yellow cap that allows you to take the spigot off and and put it in the can and seal it up was gone. I haven't been able to find a replacement. It's a spout exactly like the second one from the left in the attached pic. These jugs are fairly old but I like them because they hold 6 gallons not 5. It's pretty hard to find anything but 5 gallon cans with really shitty spouts these days. If anyone has ever bought replacement gas can parts and knows a site let me know.

post-40-0-35765000-1442409745.jpg

Posted

I only buy this kind anymore.  Stays sealed until you push the button on top of the spout (can't see it in this picture).  Makes it a lot easier for a small (puny) guy like me to get a full 5 gallon can positioned into the filler neck without spilling it everywhere.

Mark

post-503-0-29498800-1442410543_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

After some more digging I found Mr. Yellow Cap. Looks like I can get a couple replacements.

Posted

For $5 I'd much rather support Bear than some Fleabay vendor.

Posted

Napa has them

Posted

Ha...the EBay vendor is probably the guy that stole your cap in the first place!

Posted (edited)

I don't have a photo right now, but I bought several 6 gal cans from Home Depot for my generator.

They have a big black fancy lever on the top that you can only activate each time after pulling back a button on the side. Thought it was a PIA at first, but got used to it and don't spill gas anymore, and no more fumes when stored. They have 2 handles, one on top and another at bottom corner that I use when pouring gas.

I think these "Safety Spouts" were mandated by the Feds, and saw a can company on TV who went out of business because it could not afford to upgrade to the new standards...

The big downfall to them is that the clear or white flextube comes off of the spout and ends up in your tank.

My lawnmower tank has one in it. The can works fine without it.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Been getting thru my deployment gifts to myself I ordered while I was gone and got around to modding my jugs. Installed the vents and Mr. Yellow cap caps with a lanyard of parachute cord. Sure beats a sheet metal screw to plug the vents I drilled 6 years ago. You might be a redneck if you mod gas cans.....

image.jpg

Posted

I have a bunch of those old-school 6 gallon cans that holds 7 gallons. The newer self venting 5 gallon cans that I have are for crap. However these bear Perkins fittings look like just the ticket to turn them into something usable.  

In general though I find these 5 gallon race cans to provide the best handling and flow characteristics of all Gas skins I have tried. 

image.jpg

Posted

I bought some of those that came with a flexible spout too. But before that came out, this was my solution:

DSC00330_zpsbssgu0t3.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Good idea, those safety spouts are a PITA. I was always afraid of putting the weight of 5gals directly on the fiberglass wing tank cap rim. I tried a jiggle siphon for a bit but that kind of turned into its own PITA. I think I will try one of those inexpensive battery powered fuel transfer sticks or just fab up my own 12v transfer system using an auto fuel pump. I like the latter because it avoids hoisting heavy fuel cans/jugs up a ladder and can be used to pilfer fuel from all the disabled autos after a SHTF EMP or major zombie attack. Yes, in addition to being lazy, I am getting old and crazy. ;)   

1 person likes this