Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CAUTION ON EBAY - MAY CHANGE TO WARNING!

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't know if any of you have seen ads for "Kitfox 123 wings", or lately, for "Damaged Kitfox 3 for parts", From a seller, "SKOT1963" who supposedly has an auction place in Sheridan, Illinois 60551. (IT IS: actually Artur Skocinski in Naperville, IL 60564)?

I purchased the whole thing yesterday.

When I went to pay, after purchase, he did not have the bid price on paypal, but instead had a $200 "unreturnable deposit" there, which I paid.

THE PROBLEM IS: That there was no address or phone number listed so I could contact him to pay the rest of the money due, WHICH he wants by money order or bank check "within 7 days".

THE OTHER PROBLEM IS: That once an item is sold, and ebay closes the ad, ebay will not forward any messages to the seller, and they are blocked, and returned to sender.

There is a 7 day window to pay the balance or you lose your $200 deposit.

I called ebay tonight and got a runaround.

I managed to get his email address another way and sent a message away from ebay.

If things work out, I will post a retraction.

RETRACTION: FINALLY, this guy contacted me and I paid the balance, and now waiting for delivery.

I NOW HAVE HIS ADDRESS and phone number.

This has just been a big PIA so far, and I thought maybe I was getting scammed.

If you ever start to bid on one of his items, make sure you get some CONTACT INFO, FIRST!

OR, contact me by PM, and I will give you his address, phone number.

He seems to be OK, just a little inept on ebay.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I've never bought anything from him but I've talked with him in the past, He sells low and high dollar stuff and has a legit business.

Edited by birddog486

Posted (edited)

I've never bought anything from him but I've talked with him in the past, He sells low and high dollar stuff and has a legit business.

I think I understand that now - I talked to him today - "Gute think" I have been around people who speak like they are from Germany or Poland - Still hard to understand him. He is delivering the plane (parts) next week.

I would buy from him again - ebay just has bad rules about letting a seller and buyer email each other to work things out after a sale closes. "YOU CANT DO THAT!"

Thanks, EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

One of the problems with hard deposits and MO/Check payments is that buyer protection is pretty much unhinged. There is absolutely positively (as much of a German accent I can manage implied, thanks for the comparison to people from Poland) no way that Ebay is limiting your ability to get in touch with the seller. I have done lots of "EGay" business and never ever once had the case where they didn't instantly jump on any opened case or where I could not contact the seller after winning an auction or having my bid taken.  One thing these guys do, is block messages sent to people which contain an email address or phone number as this invites "off ebay" activity with sales taking place beyond the scope of the listing or people being subjected to scams following the purchase.

Just sayin'...

Posted

One of the problems with hard deposits and MO/Check payments is that buyer protection is pretty much unhinged. There is absolutely positively (as much of a German accent I can manage implied, thanks for the comparison to people from Poland) no way that Ebay is limiting your ability to get in touch with the seller. I have done lots of "EGay" business and never ever once had the case where they didn't instantly jump on any opened case or where I could not contact the seller after winning an auction or having my bid taken.  One thing these guys do, is block messages sent to people which contain an email address or phone number as this invites "off ebay" activity with sales taking place beyond the scope of the listing or people being subjected to scams following the purchase.

Just sayin'...

Yep, the deposit/pay direct is mostly a way for the seller to avoid Ebay/Paypal buyer protection.  I don't use Ebay, but if I did I'd run from that type of payment arrangement.  Some do it to try to avoid the Ebay/Paypal % charge, but others do it because it is easier to rip people off.  Not saying this is the case here, but your guard should go up when this is done.

Mark

Posted

???

How to get contact information:  scroll to the bottom of most eBay screens, click on Site Map.  On the right side, under Connect, click on Find Contact Information.  Enter the userid and item number involved in your transaction.  Be aware that the other member will receive your contact info when you receive theirs.

Posted (edited)

I use paypal for all my ebay deals - It was just that instead of the purchase price coming up to pay for it, he had made the invoice for a $200 deposit instead, and I didn't know how to pay the rest. He got cash for delivery when he delivered it to me.

I have already written a lot to Jim Chuk about Art, the guy who sold the wrecked Kitfox 3.

He is a Kool, really BIG guy, from Poland, and fun to talk to.

He was also very honest in his dealings with me, and very helpful once we got around ebay to communicate about paying the balance and him delivering the plane.

I would recommend him to anyone.

EdMO

BTW: I don't know who owned this plane before Art, but the stripes on it match the German flag colors!

Art also said he has a Zodiak with EA-81 engine that he flys, and it is for sale at what seemed to me to be a good price, if anyone is looking for a Zenith, I have his contact info.

If I wasn't drowning in Kitfoxes, I would be going to look at the Zenith, for sure.

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

I also purchased a 912 from skot1963, very honest great to do business with. hope it all works out for you.

2 people like this

Posted

Ed, I was just looking up the history on your latest purchase and see that the plane was owned in 2009 by a guy from Bemidji, Mn. That's 100 miles from me. Interesting. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Ed, I was just looking up the history on your latest purchase and see that the plane was owned in 2009 by a guy from Bemidji, Mn. That's 100 miles from me. Interesting. Jim Chuk

Jim,

I got the story of the wreck from Art - When I get back I will look in the papers and get the old owners name and talk to you. I don't think I was told anything about any injuries. Just another 2-stroke that went quiet!

Thanks, Ed

Cant they spell in English in Mn? What is a "Bemidji? :lol:

Edited by Ed In Missouri