Amphibian project resurrection & modifications

141 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm working on an abandon amphibian project that I'm trying to bring back from the dead. There too neat of an aircraft to not at least try to get it flying!!!

So here is where I'm at:

I've bought an amphibian kit that had had some work done to it and then was abandon, forgot about or otherwise left to decay possibly outside judging from the number of rodents that needed to be evicted and the airframes general condition.

I've determined that most of the major components are accounted for and look to be usable with the correct amount of elbow grease applied. Any work done by the previous builder needs to be reworked as the quality of workmanship was questionable at best.

I've built an engine mount for the 912UL I'm installing and am finishing up mounting the oil tank, radiator, oil cooler, voltage regulator etc.

As I'm moving forward with the project finding a Amphibian / Catalina build manual would be awesome if someone on the forum has one I'd gladly pay to have it scanned or a copy made.

I'll get some pictures posted ASAP

Thank you

Luke

Edited by lukemn
1 person likes this

Posted

akflyerbob has one.  I am still working on getting his amphib project from him one day soon I hope!  I am sure he would not mind getting it copied and sent to you.  I am pretty sure the full build manual was in the parts and pieces I picked up for him when he first got it.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Hi akflyer:

Thank you for the info.   PM sent to akflyerbob 

Thank's

Luke

Edited by lukemn

Posted (edited)

I'm offering a $100.00 dollar gift certificate to Aircraft spruce for the first person that can get a copy or scan of the Catalina build manual sent to me.

Thanks

Luke

Edited by lukemn

Posted (edited)

Fitting engine mount onto work benchpost-1074-0-47970000-1443673292_thumb.jp

post-1074-0-08530800-1443673883_thumb.jp

Edited by lukemn

Posted

I made a jig rotax 582 to locate where the prop flange needs to be (couldn't talk anyone into letting me borrow a 582 of there airplanes)

post-40-0-41063600-1443881079_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-42735700-1443881080_thumb.jpg

Posted

Jig 582 bolted up to engine mount.

post-40-0-82030600-1443881404_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-96763000-1443881405_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Anyone know why some of my attached pictures are going inverted????

Edited by lukemn

Posted

If you took them with an IPhone they do that.

Posted

Checking jig 582 fitment with cowling

post-40-0-53716100-1443881252_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-55359400-1443881253_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-56373300-1443881254_thumb.jpg

Posted

Android phones seem to have the same issue. Any work around as most all the pictures I take are with my phone?

Posted

Turn the phone up-side-down? :hammerhead:  Actually, I have a LG G2 running 5.0.2. I sometimes have to rotate the photo using the options available when the photo is on-screen. The option is: "Rotate".

Lou

Posted

Mine does the same thing.  I have to have the orientation of the camera right or they will post upside down.  I am hoping the new software that is being installed in the next day or two will fix some of these issues.

I will see if I can dig out the manual Bob has next week when I get back to town.

:BC:

Posted

I just turn my laptop upside down or do a quick handstand and things are right again.

Let me demonstrate...

!ǝuiɟ ʇsnɾ sʞɹoʍ ʇI ¡sǝ⅄ ɥO

1 person likes this

Posted

I just turn my laptop upside down or do a quick handstand and things are right again.

Let me demonstrate...

!ÇuiÉŸ ʇsnɾ sʞɹoÊ Ê‡I ¡sÇâ…„ É¥O

:funnypostabove::lol:

Posted

I'm giving the picture rotate and post a try hopefully it works.

Posted

Fitting a prop locating fixture to the work bench

post-40-0-39659300-1443881299_thumb.png

Posted (edited)

Rotate and post seems to not be working. Turning the monitor upside down works every time thoe :)

Edited by lukemn

Posted

Your local friendly forum janitor flipped them over for you. Great work! We always welcome the technical type stuff here. So many talented people fail to document any of their work so others can learn. Me speaking as 80's kid here but building stuff with limited factory support must of been much harder trying to use newsletters before there were forums and Youtube.

Posted (edited)

Thanks C5Enginee!!  Building in the pre internet days must have been quite a task.  I do like working with some of the old timers around the airport I'm on as there experience from the trial and error days of pre internet is very helpful (sometimes way more so than when I'm googling something to death trying to figure out a problem) but it's hard for me to imagine what it was like to build an aircraft that way must have been a very exciting day when the news letter showed up in the mailbox!!

Edited by lukemn

Posted (edited)

It's Sawzall time!!! :)  and incase anyones wondering yes it's one of my favorite tools!20150815_195755.thumb.jpg.fe7aecbb8a3b3b

Edited by lukemn

Posted

:)

20150815_200039.jpg

Posted

:)

20150815_200125.jpg

Posted (edited)

The picture's work now phone and all!!!!  A big thanks to the administrator that got that working  you rock :buttrock:

Edited by lukemn
1 person likes this

Posted

Sliding the 912 in close to the engine mount so they can get to know each other and start becoming freinds. It seems I'm going to need to workout a support for the engine as it's slightly low.

20150815_200622.jpg

1 person likes this