Amphibian project resurrection & modifications

141 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I agree that my sawsall can get most jobs done, but far easier with a cutoff disk and less shaking!

I have wanted an Iron Man in my shop for years to go with my mill and lathe - Just too heavy to haul back and forth to Alaska.

Great looking shop there!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks EDMO like most workshops the equipment list is ever evolving deal the Ironworker is one of our more recreant additions to the shop so far I've found it to be very handy at punching holes and some sheering operations for one off work I'm still heading to the drill press & band-saw (old habits die hard I guess)

Posted (edited)

Working on building an engine support.

20150815_213209.jpg

20150815_231914.jpg

Edited by lukemn

Posted

Engine hanging in place!!!!

20150816_132428.jpg

20150816_132439.jpg

Posted (edited)

Of course the engine mount I'm building will be designed using the latest cutting edge CAD software with the hi-tec stress analytics.  Not cheap masking tape to lay out where 4130 tubes will be going..........;)

20150816_134940.jpg

20150816_134951.jpg

20150816_143608.jpg

Edited by lukemn

Posted (edited)

One mans opinion:  if I were going to start an engine mount from scratch I would start with the Rotax horse collar.  This would make attaching accessories (like exhaust, oil tank, etc) easy because the oem stuff would just bolt on. No need to custom build everything. 

It would also make changing or upgrading the engine (eg to a 914 if you ever wanted) an easier bolt on project. 

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

When I modified my firewall to mount the Pelican mount for my Subaru EA-81, and then had to modify it again to raise the engine, my welder made the comment that, "It's so strong, you could hang a Jake on there!"  

For the info for those with "chainsaw engines", a "Shakey Jake" was a Jacobs radial engine that would shake so bad at low rpms, the whole plane would shake and almost do a tap-dance on the ground.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

One mans opinion:  if I were going to start an engine mount from scratch I would start with the Rotax horse collar.  This would make attaching accessories (like exhaust, oil tank, etc) easy because the oem stuff would just bolt on. No need to custom build everything. 

It would also make changing or upgrading the engine (eg to a 914 if you ever wanted) an easier bolt on project. 

Hi Av8r3400:

I looked over the Rotax ring mount and it looks like a solid option.   I did a little searching and couldn't find an example of a pusher aircraft that's running one if there's a type that dose I'd like to look over there instillation and see how it's incorporated.

Anything that cuts down the amount of scratch building I'm doing would be great!! 

The mount I'm currently working with is  Searay-ish in nature and it's setup much like there current aircraft. As for the 914 my 80hp 912ul is the core engine that the 914 is built from and I think that a turbo would make a great muffler!!!!!

Luke

Posted

When I modified my firewall to mount the Pelican mount for my Subaru EA-81, and then had to modify it again to raise the engine, my welder made the comment that, "It's so strong, you could hang a Jake on there!"  

For the info for those with "chainsaw engines", a "Shakey Jake" was a Jacobs radial engine that would shake so bad at low rpms, the whole plane would shake and almost do a tap-dance on the ground.

EDMO

Hi EDMO:

Coming from a hot rod / race car background I need to constantly remind myself when working on the aircraft project not to overbuild things.  One of my favorite reminders of this comes from the Carbon Cub idealism that if your mindful of the ounces the pounds will take care of themselves.  

Posted

I have a Rans S-12  912 bed style motor mount in the hangar,  would have let it go fairly cheap.  Too late now.  :-)  Jim Chuk

Posted

Hi EDMO:

Coming from a hot rod / race car background I need to constantly remind myself when working on the aircraft project not to overbuild things.  One of my favorite reminders of this comes from the Carbon Cub idealism that if your mindful of the ounces the pounds will take care of themselves.  

I still like Burt Rutans response when someone kept asking him about putting this or that into one of his designs.  He said the decision is simple.  Take the thing, through it in the air.  If it comes back down, it shouldn't go in the airplane :lmao:

Posted

I still like Burt Rutans response when someone kept asking him about putting this or that into one of his designs.  He said the decision is simple.  Take the thing, through it in the air.  If it comes back down, it shouldn't go in the airplane :lmao:

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Rutan at Air Venture this summer and watch several of his aircraft fly in the air show latter that day it was way cool!!!!

Posted

Being an old machinist and gunsmith, sometimes working with stuff you need a hoist or crane to pick up, I usually build too heavy, and then spend too much time figuring out how to make it again, or lighten it.

EdMO

Posted

I should have that build manual in PDF form for you in the next day or two.  I brought it to work so I can make it a PDF and post it here for you.

:BC:

Posted

I should have that build manual in PDF form for you in the next day or two.  I brought it to work so I can make it a PDF and post it here for you.

That's supper cool..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   when you post the PDF our shop is going to be like this!!!!:bday:

Posted

Drum roll please... I am please to give you the long awaited and much anticipated..... Avid Amphib Construction manual in a searchable pdf file..

Avid Amphib Construction manual.pdf

Posted

The more I see videos of these online, the more I wish I had a project so I could put it to use

Lou

Posted

Drum roll please... I am please to give you the long awaited and much anticipated..... Avid Amphib Construction manual in a searchable pdf file..

Awesome!!!!!!!  the printer is doing it's thing and the shop is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Please let me know where I should send a gift certificate out and to who or a donation to the web site to help keep things going is the way to go I'd be happy do that!!!!!!

Luke

Edited by lukemn
1 person likes this

Posted

Please let me know where I should send a gift certificate out and to who or a donation to the web site to help keep things going is the way to go I'd be happy do that!!!!!!

Luke

If you would like to be a contributing member you can send a donation to the site via my email if you do paypal, or you can send me a check.  PM me what you would like to do.  I don't expect the bounty for the file, just happy we could finally hook you up mr!

Posted

Luke

If you would like to be a contributing member you can send a donation to the site via my email if you do paypal, or you can send me a check.  PM me what you would like to do.  I don't expect the bounty for the file, just happy we could finally hook you up mr!

Luke

Thank you again and PM sent

Luke

Posted

Looking at the angle of the lower tube (tape) going to the rear of the engine bed mount I think I'm going to shorten up the bed mount a little.  Just bolting on the bed mount and using it is all too easy.......;)

20150816_134940.jpg

Posted (edited)

Working on shorting up the bed mount.

20150818_180513.jpg

20150818_182242.jpg

20150818_181046.jpg

Edited by lukemn

Posted

Cut down bed mount back on engine & oil cooler location starting to be thought about.

20150818_195925.jpg

20150818_195919.jpg

Posted

I put in some more quality sawsall time trimming the upper area of the engine mount to make room for a center mounted radiator & one more round of tape tube mock up.  What's the general vibe (pun intended) on radiator mounting rigid or rubber isolation mounted?  I've seen both in practice on other rotax powred aircraft.

20150911_020624.jpg

20150911_020632.jpg

20150911_020713.jpg

20150911_020649.jpg