Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

UNLICENSED PILOT CRASHES PLANE, KILLS 5

8 posts in this topic

Posted

INTERNET POST: A Farmer, 38, "licensed to build and repair a small experimental airplane, an RV-10, but not to fly it, crashed it" 5 people listed as killed, including pilot. No flight plan filed. Radar showed plane going up and down 500 feet before crash, and one person said he thought it was a crop duster because the engine would rev up and slow down. Appeared he stalled it into some 50 foot tall trees? The other 4 were all in their 20's.

I thought an RV-10 was only a 4-place plane?

EdMO

Posted

Experimental trailer hitch! Of course it was a crop duster, a farmer flew it!!!

First thing my ag instructor taught me. "Always rev up and down so that people know you're a ag plane!"

1 person likes this

Posted

I bet the tox screen will tell an interesting story...

Yes, an RV10 is only a 4 place aircraft.

2 people like this

Posted

I bet the tox screen will tell an interesting story...

Yes, an RV10 is only a 4 place aircraft.

Agreed, 5 people in a 4 place, takeoff occurred around 2:30am, I'm sure they were all perfectly sober....  Sad, but at least in an airplane they were likely to only hurt themselves.  If they'd headed out in the farmers ton pickup (don't all farmers have those?), they could have taken others with them.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

I believe this happened a few hundred miles south of me in Alma, GA.  

Posted

A little late to the party, but assuming 5 adults would put 3 in the rear seat (or one in the baggage area), wouldn't that result in a CG too far aft and compromised stability?

Posted

There was an article in France some time ago announcing 4 people injured in an ultra light aircraft accident. Normally the journalists call ultralight for light aircrafts unless it looks like something you build using and old lawnmower and I assumed the just did it the other way around this time (ultra lights in France, like the Avid Flyer and other Kitfoxes are limited to 2 seats). 

But for once they were right... Thay had crashed into 2 persons on the ground....

Posted

There was an article in France some time ago announcing 4 people injured in an ultra light aircraft accident. Normally the journalists call ultralight for light aircrafts unless it looks like something you build using and old lawnmower and I assumed the just did it the other way around this time (ultra lights in France, like the Avid Flyer and other Kitfoxes are limited to 2 seats). 

But for once they were right... Thay had crashed into 2 persons on the ground....

Last year a Cessna 150 crashed into a cemetery and it turned out to be the largest aviation accident ever recorded. More than 700 dead were discovered.

4 people like this