Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Need Kitfox 2 wing tank

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, I'm looking for a right hand (pssenger's side) 13 gallon wing tank. Maybe both sides if price is right. Kitfox 2 and 3 should fit. What have you got? Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Jim,

I only have a left tank from Kitfox 1, and would take just a reasonable offer.

I guess with some incentive, I could take a right tank out of the Kitfox 3 wing IF that is the wing that needs to be stripped to fix the rib tails.

Maybe someone will come up with one or a pair for you by the time I get back from trip.

EdMO

I also have a nose tank from the Kitfox 2, and I think I may have a round header tank from the Kitfox 3.

My wife thinks I am running a Kitfox Junkyard! - Maybe so?

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you cant find one, talk to Rod at Performance Products.  He makes the tanks for Kitfox now.  Vinyl ester resin, ethanol proof.  He made a left tank for my avid which fit and functions perfectly.  Highly recommended! email him at:  sales@performanceproducts1.com

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey I have two 6 Gallon Aluminum tanks I would sell just to get rid of $75 And the shipping and you may have them

Posted

Thanks, Jay,  I'm looking for a larger tank so I can get rid of the front tank.  Doug Holley,  I remember you posted pics of the Avid and Kitfox tanks and the slight difference in shape.  Wonder if an Avid tank would be ok?  Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim - because the location of the rear spar hole in the rib web is slightly different, the KF 1-3 slip-in wing tank set slightly higher than the Avid HH's top cap strip. Also, the sump bump fell below the surface level of the tightened fabric. So, if you are contemplating doing the opposite, ie. an Avid wing tank (for the HH/STOL undercamber rib profile) in a KF 1-3, I would say it ought to fit. If you are thinking an Avid HH/STOL tank will fit in a KF 4- Riblett rib profile wing, I'm not sure without physically holding up the ribs together for comparison. I actually may have posted pics of doing exactly that a while back when the rib profile conversation was active, worth a search. The Avid speedwing tank might work better in a KF Riblett wing but the slight under camber on the front lower capstrip of the Riblett airfoil might cause problems.

Posted

Bob did this on one of his rebuilds.  He added an extra cap strip to the root rib (I think) to blend the tank in.  You could not tell by looking at it that the tank was actually a different profile than the rest of the wing ribs. 

:BC:

Posted

I had to do the same on my left tank leni.  no big deal

1 person likes this

Posted

What I'm trying to do is locate a kitfox 2 or3 tank for a Kitfox 2.  One guy has a couple of Kitfox 4 tanks, but that's more different than the Avid tank.  That is the reason for my question.  If the  Avid tanks are real close, I could go with that.   Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Bob did this on one of his rebuilds.  He added an extra cap strip to the root rib (I think) to blend the tank in.  You could not tell by looking at it that the tank was actually a different profile than the rest of the wing ribs. 

Which did Bob do.... Avid HH tank into KF1-3 wing or KF 2-3 tank into Avid HH wing? Since adding to the Avid cap strip is necessary when using the KF tank in an Avid, kinda makes sense that the opposite Avid HH tank into KF 2-3 wing would not... or am I confused?? :wacko:   

Posted

hmmm, now ya got me confused as well.  I will have to talk to him and find out for sure now.  It may have been a speed wing tank into an under-cambered wing that he did.  I hate getting old..

Posted

I too have a new leak in my STOL 9 gallon tank. I just found 6 plastic tanks that are for sale that were ordered for the Magnum. Does anybody know if the tanks for a Magnum will fit in STOL wings? 

Posted

I think they used the same ribs on the Magnum as the STOL and Heavy Hauler wings.  I got looking again at my Avid Flyer wings, and see how the tanks are fiberglassed in,  Hard to get one out without wrecking it.  If a guy didn't mind grinding into the spar, it might be possible though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Bump!  :-)  Jim Chuk