Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

100LL in a two stroke

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have had three seperate people bring up running ethanol based fuel in my Avid in the past few weeks. I did some reasearch today and found out that in Commifornia I'm not going to find any fuel that has less than 10% in it. My only solution is to run 100LL which is a $1.15 more a gallon. I've always heard mixed opinions on running it in a two stroke. I called the techs at Leading Edge Airfoils today and they said just watch the plugs and inspect the rings ever 100 hours for build up of sulpher deposits. I really don't want to risk wrecking my tanks or plugging my filters with fiberglass hairs and having an engine out. I was curious what you guys thought of running 100LL in a two smoke.

Posted

My brother ran it in his for about 100 hrs with no issues.

About every 50 hrs or so, we would run some Mercury Power tune through it.  does the decarbon etc without having to pull it down.  Engine was 100% squeeky clean when we pulled it down for new seals at 300 hrs.  Not a bit of carbon on the pistons, and the bearings looked brand new with no plating at all.

You can also run Decalin in it which is a lead scavanger and is said to help with the lead plating on the bearings.

Were your tanks sloshed or you running bare fiberglass tanks?

Posted

Another thought.... if you fly as much as I do, it wont take long to pay for a set of the plastis tanks from wingtanks.com.  They you can run the piss poor use of good drinking corn fuel in your plane.  In the last year, I have put allmost 400 gallons through mine.

:beerchug:

Posted

"You can also run Decalin in it which is a lead scavanger ....."

That would be my question..., how much lead does it need, compared to how much is to much?

The 912UL has issues with 100LL.... it has more lead than necessary. It's ok to run it on 100LL, Rotax just recommends you to change the oil and filter more often to avoid plugging up smaller then "normal" passages, etc..., something like that.

Not familiar with the 1/2 engines.