Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thrilled to be in the Sky With You Guys!

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone!

My name is Robb.  Last month I took a few weeks off and moved into an apartment in the hangar of a flight school (Lockwood) to fulfill a childhood dream.  While my childhood continues in earnest, the traditional part of it took place in the previous millennia.  I hooked up with a very skilled instructor and found good chemistry with him.  Four days In I passed the written.  Solo came in six days with just about 18 hours in the log.  After 16 days on site and 27 logged hours I passed the check ride for Sport Pilot! 

I was supposed to be over the moon happy at this moment.  Instead I was bummed, day-after-christmas bummed.  I quickly realized that the life I was living the past couple of weeks: Get up, push the plane out of the hanger & preflight, instructor arrives, go flying, was over.  I HAD to do something about this...

Three days later I was the proud owner of my first airplane, an Avid Flyer Mk 4  Aerobatic Speedwing nosewheeler.  This plane was built in 2000, and comes with a BOX of notes, documentation, and photos covering all stages of the build (in addition to the engine, prop, and aircraft logs).  In 2003 the builder installed the factory speed wing extensions, 3 bays per side, to bring the wingspan within a couple inches of 30'.  This plane really flies nice and in cruise I can literally rest my palm on my leg and fly with my thumb and toes!

When I got the plane it had 290 hours on it, and it's original grey head 582.  I flew it down to Sebring (Lockwood) to have the engine overhauled IAW Mfg specs + having all the upgrades like ceramic seals, etc done.  Not so much because it was just about to 300 hours, but because it was a 15 year old engine in Florida.

When I get the plane back from Lockwood, I'm going to fly for a bit, then install VGs on the wings and horizontal stabilizer and go through the plane with a fine tooth comb to remove any excess weight and hack work(like taped up wires and tangled wiring) that may have accumulated over the years.

This forum has really made me feel good about my purchase and I really appreciate all the input you guys have added over the years.  Lots of great info being shared here. 

~KD

11930979_10205074564119103_4139811720616

Edited by Knuckledragger
1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats and welcome aboard!  She is a good looking bird!  Looking forwards to more posts of your flying adventures and possible future mods!  I really like the extended speed wing.  I wish I had bought my buddies plane when he sold his.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Good for you!  Be safe, and have fun.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats welcome to the club! I thought you were describing Joanne Heckmans until I seen the pics. Nice job to buckle down and make a dream a reality. Many people sit and make excuses their whole lives.

1 person likes this

Posted

Congratulation on the culmination of your dream! That is the path I had hoped to take but I obtained my bird first. I full well understand your desire to take care of the things that just bug you.

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome to the club - Your bird looks Great - I flew a Cessna L-19 Birddog painted in those Army colors about 50 years ago!

Any thing you need to ask, just put it on here - You will probably get more answers than your need, and maybe some you can use!

EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

That is a cool looking bird!!! I like!!!

2 people like this