Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel Tank Issue

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Have posted this on the Avid Forum As well

Anyone out there help me out? I have an Avid Speedwing Mk4 UK based. The fuel tank has rotted due to ethanol. I have removed the tank.

Few questions,

Does anyone have a spare tank I could buy for shipment to UK, its 13 gallon right wing (looking out when in cockpit). I could pay by Paypal if needed

Will a Kitfox tank fit an Avid Wing, if so which Kitfox model tank? I see Kitfox have ethanol resistant tanks

Has anyone made an aluminium tank?

Many thanks Simon   G-BUIR

Posted

Kitfox will sell you a new ethanol resistant one for $465 plus shipping.  I think a Kitfox 4 tank would be very close to fitting in an Avid wing.  I had a guy measure a tank he has, and this is what he came up with.  If the tank was sitting on the spars, and if you laid a straight edge on top of the spars, the bottom of the tank would be 2" below the straight edge, and the top of the tank would be 2 3/8" above the bottom of the straight edge.  (top of spars)  Hope this helps.  I'm kind of in the market for a right hand tank for a Kitfox 2 or 3, so I've been looking into this in the last week or so.  Jim Chuk

Posted

If you order a tank from Kitfox, be sure you get the undercambered tank - They should ask you which one you need.

You didn't say which wing the tank is in - That is also important when ordering.

Sooo Jim, you have changed your handle...

EDMO

Posted

Put the focals on ED :lmao:

I think he mentioned the right wing

Posted

Ed, I think my handle changed with the new software. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Ed, I think my handle changed with the new software. Jim Chuk

Mine did too, Leni changed it, and I changed it again.  If nobody knows me by now, then they are probably the lucky ones.

KFfan,   I see that now - must have been tired from my trip - I only have an old Left wing tank for sale.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mine did too, Leni changed it, and I changed it again.  If nobody knows me by now, then they are probably the lucky ones.

KFfan,   I see that now - must have been tired from my trip - I only have an old Left wing tank for sale.

EdMO

Glass or aluminum? 6 or 13?

Posted

All PRO Composites

(406) 388-3099

158 Andrea Dr
Belgrade, MT 59714

I am pretty sure this is the guy that has the molds and can make the new tanks for you.  His name is Ron.

:BC:

Posted

Another person to get a hold of is Rod at sales@performanceproducts1.com

He makes the tanks for kitfox, and he may also have some Avid molds.  I am guessing an kitfox IV tank will fit close enough to the Avid speed wing that it could be used.

I would caution against an aluminum tank as they have been tried in the past and always developed cracks and leaks.  The fuel tank becomes part of the wing structure to a point and needs to be put in with a flexible sealant (silicone) so it can move a bit with the wing.

:BC:

Posted

Ron at All Pro Composites no longer makes wing tanks.

Rod at Performance Products makes the current ethanol resistant wing tanks for Kitfox.

1 person likes this

Posted

Glass or aluminum? 6 or 13?

13 - from my KF1 - I would have to test it before selling.

EdMO

Posted (edited)

KFfan,

It is Glass - I tried to edit above, but site said I had waited too long ???  Tried to say, I keep hearing 13, but I always thought 12 was Kitfox?  We didn't have moonshine in our Alaska gas when we flew this one.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey Ed,  Kitfox tanks are 13 gallons, Avids are 14.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Jim,

I guess I will have to put something in my tanks - the proposed GW will only allow about 10 gallons in outer tanks, and 12 in inner tanks!  Maybe I can just put a placard on each tank?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

13 - from my KF1 - I would have to test it before selling.

EdMO

Thanks

Lou

Edited by KFfan

Posted

I tried Rod at sales@performanceproducts1.com and the email bounced.  The domain performanceproducts1 also seems to be gone.  Anyone have updated contact info?

Posted (edited)

I tried Rod at sales@performanceproducts1.com and the email bounced.  The domain performanceproducts1 also seems to be gone.  Anyone have updated contact info?

Try the phone number during business hours or late afternoon that Doug listed.  We know he is somewhere.

208-761-8244

EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Try the phone number during business hours or late afternoon that Doug listed.  We know he is somewhere.

208-761-8244

EdMO

thanks!  I'll try him tomorrow.   Maybe I can give him a hand with that broken email (unless he broke it on purpose for peace and quiet ;))

2 people like this

Posted

All, been in touch with head of engineering Light Aircraft Association here in UK (equivalent to your Experimental Engineering Office). He is quite happy for me to either:-

Copy the existing tank using polyester resin but have a gel coat inside using one of the propriety ethanol resistant resins or clean up the old tank inside and reseal with an ethanol resistant resin, or use an aluminium tank.

In the UK there has been approval given for an aluminium tank which was made for an owner and designed so it would form partial structure and not fatigue, there have been no issues with this tank since it was installed a few years ago.

So there are options which meet with the approval of regulatory authority.

I will look at the aluminium tank but change from private mod to standard mod for all UK Avids if I go this way. Working with an approved inspector who is also an aircraft approved welder to submit drawings to design office.

Keep you updated 

Simon

Posted (edited)

Simon, another UK MK4 owner here watching with interest...

Regards Adrian

Edited by Ad Eves
whim