Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flight testing

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my bird home and into the garage today. Going to pull my engine this week. My Zero time Blue Head should be here on Friday. Hoping to be ready to fly again by next Sunday. I'll be posting pics of the swap.

Posted

The engine swap is complete. I put an hour on my bird today doing some testing. This engine pulls way harder than my old one. I'm getting the type of performance I expected out of my Avid the first time around now. I was doing pattern work in 12 knots of wind today. From a dead stop my takeoff rolls were less than 5 seconds. My bird is 533 I'm 180 and I had 15 gallons on board. I was very impressed. Climbs to pattern altitude were pushing 1200fpm. The winds were helping me out quite a bit. It seems to cruise about the same however the hole I opened up in the front of my cowl changed the way the air flows and it seems to be louder in the cabin now. I'm going to have to build a cover or something to cover that up. It's always something with these things...the projects and mods never end.... I love it!

Posted

Been a while since I updated this thread. I have 17 hours on the new engine now and have it dialed pretty well. It's a little on the rich side but better that than lean. I'm currently at 36.8 hours on the Hobbs. Took off today with no real goals in mind as I only had an hour to play. I started a climb and just kind of let it keep going. I went all the way to 7500 msl. It got really cold all of a sudden though so I started back down. I was climbing at 6000rpm and 65mph and holding 6-700fpm. Going to dress warm and take her to 10K this weekend if the weather permits.

Posted

As I prepare to go down this road with Avid #2 this is pretty cool stuff to read from 2009.

Posted

Have fun with the new plane Joey, I should be flying my Avid MK IV after the AnP signs it off on Friday.  He did the inspection today, just had some paper work to finish up.  Kitfox 1 is annualed now as well.  When will you have the visit with the DAR?  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

What a great thread! Mike

Edited by ppilotmike

Posted

Having fun reading this thread. Really cool.

I am a fellow Californian down south in San Diego. Still new to flying, learning my light sport license now. I have my eyes on Avid, and hope I will get out there. Thanks for the interesting thread.