Hi from the UK

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I've been lurking for a few weeks since deciding to buy my MK4 Avid Speedwing G-BVYX (Jabiru). I don't know a great deal about Avids yet but this site is a fantastic resource which I'm very grateful for.

I haven't flown anything but paramotors for about 10 years but have a few thousand hours on a lot of taildraggers in the past and am really looking forward to renewing my licences on my Avid starting next week!

Ad

G-BVYX003.jpg

7932755448_3f94322faf_b.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Nice looking Avid!!! Welcome to the site!

Posted

A very clean looking Avid.

Enjoy your stay for you will never leave...

Posted

Welcome,

Nice "High-Performance" Bird you have on that nice-looking grass strip. 

Be ready for a quick take-off, and stick around here for anything you want to write. 

We love photos too.

EdMO

Posted (edited)

Nice looking plane.  Jabiru engine?

edit, just reread your first post and see it is a Jabiru.

Edited by tcj

Posted

Great looking MK IV! And as mentioned before, more pictures . . . . .

Posted

Welcome Ad, that's good looking Avid you got there!

I like the engine and we see quite a few Jab2200-powered Kitfoxes, mostly Model 4's, here in the States. I have two at my home airport so I know how they perform with the Riblett airfoil wing. I don't know anyone with your combination so I am curious how the Avid flat-bottom speed rib airfoil and shorter wing performs with the engine. Once you get some seat time, please do give us some pireps and performance numbers.

Thanks!

Posted

Thanks all and I'll certainly be posting some figures once I have some. I'm actually more of a STOL guy so am thinking of building some bigger wings at some point and maybe a taller/wider gear.

Posted

IMG_5533.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5550.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5541.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

IMG_5562.JPG

IMG_5563.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

328407_10150766933172538_219614202_o.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Great pictures - thanks for the "tour" of your plane. I'm building a MK IV with a Jabiru, so you certainly have me interested.

Posted

Real nice photos - Thanks again.

I have a Soob engine for mine and nose gear - I like the easy-load trailer, But I see the photos of birds on trailers like the one shown above and want to know if any problems with all the weight to the rear of the trailer wheels.  I have pulled lots of trailers, but was always told to make sure to have a load at the front end.

EdMO

Posted

I like the cylinder blisters ,gives character to the top of the cowl .

Posted

Real nice photos - Thanks again.

I have a Soob engine for mine and nose gear - I like the easy-load trailer, But I see the photos of birds on trailers like the one shown above and want to know if any problems with all the weight to the rear of the trailer wheels.  I have pulled lots of trailers, but was always told to make sure to have a load at the front end.

EdMO

I have asked this question several times on this site, and it seems to get covered up and I have never gotten an answer...

EdMO

Posted

Ed - with the wings folded there is usually enough weight distribution on the trailer tongue to prevent the tail wagging the dog.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Ed,  I trailed the Kitfox 4 from Texas last summer, and it had a Subaru engine in it also, and the trailer pulled fine behind my Buick Lesaber.    Just made a 400 mile trip Wednesday pulling a lighter one and drove at 65 MPH and if you didn't look in the mirror you didn't know it was there unless a big truck passed you.  Jim Chuk

Photo0579.jpg

Photo0147.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jim,

Nice paint on both - Bring your trailer down someday and you can paint mine!  :lol:

EdmO

Posted

Jim, you must have 4-5 projects in the barn now!

Posted

Jim, you must have 4-5 projects in the barn now!

Am I only seeing one wing on that White-bottom plane?

EdMO

Posted

This last one had a wing buggered up, so there is only one wing on the plane.  The other is strapped to the trailer under the plane.  Pic is kind of blurry, but it's there.  Pictures kind of hide things, the 4 will get recovered (someday) This one I only plan on doing the one wing.  NOTE TO SELF;  STOP LOOKING AT BARNSTORMERS EVERYDAY!!!!  Yes I have a few projects in the barn.  I guess it's 5.  What's that they say, a fool and his money is soon parted.  I pity my wife if I kick the bucket before I get them done.  She wouldn't have a clue what is there.  Jim Chuk

Posted

This last one had a wing buggered up, so there is only one wing on the plane.  The other is strapped to the trailer under the plane.  Pic is kind of blurry, but it's there.  Pictures kind of hide things, the 4 will get recovered (someday) This one I only plan on doing the one wing.  NOTE TO SELF;  STOP LOOKING AT BARNSTORMERS EVERYDAY!!!!  Yes I have a few projects in the barn.  I guess it's 5.  What's that they say, a fool and his money is soon parted.  I pity my wife if I kick the bucket before I get them done.  She wouldn't have a clue what is there.  Jim Chuk

That's what my wife reminds me of every day - she says she don't want to go thru that again!

Sending you a PM now.

EdMO

Posted

It tows very well and there's a fair weight on the hitch.

Posted

Ed

I towed my KF2 350 miles on a trailer similar to the one you mentioned and towed by a C1500 and had no issues except for semis passing. I tried to stay 60-65 mph. Any faster and the trailer felt a little unstable.

Lou

Posted

HI Ad,

Welcome!  How much does your Avid weigh and where is the cg located? Thanks, BRYCE

Posted

The tongue on these trailers is typically long enough to make them tow well. I don't even know mine is behind my Tundra when pulling it. Backs up real nice too. My trailer needs some work on the loading ramps. I've only used it 3 times in 6 years so not real motivated to work on it.

Posted

Gosh Bryce, such personal questions for a first conversation... ;)
It weighs 588 lbs with 12.5" CofG. Is that good or bad?

Ad