Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trailer loading (wings closed or open)

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Plane is finally finished and ready to load on the trailer.  Appears to be some real tail wheel weight now with the wings on and folded.

This is a converted boat trailer, loading tail first like many you have seen here.

Question (or maybe a poll); do these typically load with the wings folded during loaded or open (closing once on the trailer)?

Posted (edited)

Larry,

I don't have experience with that type of trailer, but others have said, "Fold the wings before loading onto trailer."

EdMO

Now asking for the xth time - I have a Soob engine and nose gear - I have pulled a lot of trailers, but have always been told to have them heavy on the front end - Has anyone had problems with the tail forward type of trailer with most of the weight behind the trailer wheels?

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

MUCH easier to load the plane first, then fold the wings after it's on the trailer. Same if you plan to store or regularly move your plane when folded. Make a wheeled dolly that raises the tail and keeps the wings close to level when folded.

Don't forget to use wing support braces and provide solid support under the fuselage at the tail spring attach bolt while transporting. Or make a bracket and raise the rear by putting a rod through the tie down tube. Point is to keep the heavy weight off the tailspring... one big bad bounce and it could break. Transport doesn't have to be pretty, just safe and secure.

Good luck.

CIMG7544.JPG

Posted

What about tongue weight with this type Doug?

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Another question.  How about a winch point. Was thinking to use the tail spring somehow, or maybe the tow bar mounts.  Any thoughts?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

What about tongue weight with this type Doug?

EDMO

Mine has been fine.  My trailer is a bit longer and my CG is forward of the main axle.  No pull issues at all.  That was before the wing install, which should now be even better with the forward movement of the CG.

Posted

Every inch you raise the tail before folding makes folding wings easier.  A short piece of climbing webbing with a loop on each end attaches the winch line to the tail wheel spring. 

Set the tail on the trailer deck

fold the wings

winch it up

tie it down

Loading1.jpg

Loading2.jpg

Loading3.jpg

Wheel tie down.jpg

Winch attachment to tail spring.jpg

tail Support.jpg

3 people like this

Posted