Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wheel Landings

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anyone do them with their Avid or Kitfox?

My instructor said he has only wheel landed his plane a dozen times in over 2000 hours of flying it.  Therefore we didn't do any in training.

Posted

I did a few when my brother was chacking me out in his KF.  I have never done another one.  Evert TD I have ever flown landings have been 3 point except for during initial training.

Posted

After while, you might find the wheelies easier to make pretty then the 3 point when on pavement. More control right at touch-down, especially with crosswinds etc.

Remember (landing) that the main gear will flex smoother on grass (the tires slip outward on the grass) and the whole plane will slip on the grass a bit if not right down the center line.   The pavement is not so forgiving...  it will go where its pointed...NOW.

With the wheel landing you can pick your spot, fly to it (at 2' AGL), plant it on that spot (within reason), and get on the brakes while keeping the tail up. Short, and it's over with quickly.

I'd say that 75% or more of my landings are wheel landings. The outcome is more predictable and less humiliating.  But that's just me.