Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starter Failure

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Today was to be the first flight, but alas... our starter has crapped out. Dead short internal (or maybe just seized up internal).

I was dreading this scenario when I installed the engine, and saw how it was buried in the firewall with no external access.

No access without pulling the engine or am I missing something?  Would rather find a way without pulling everything apart again.

Are these a rebuildable item, or basically disposable?

Any good sources for a new one?  I see a full kit at leading edge airfoils, however only need the starter.   Pricey buggers.

Frustrating day and such incredible weather.  Maybe next week.

Posted

Crapola, that is the pits.  I don,t have any answers for you, flying behind a 912.

Paul

Posted

You can rebuild them. The brushes are the same as what is found in some Ski Doo jetskis. The rotax brushes are stupid expensive. Have you double checked your grounds? I had myself convinced once that my starter had finally died and it was a corroded ground from the gearbox to the engine mount that was causing all the issues. Sure you've already checked the basics but you never know.

Posted (edited)

Larry,

I have a starter for sale that is on a 532 with 80 hours on it.   I don't know if they are the same starter, and certainly don't know what prices are.

I would take what someone considers to be a reasonable offer if you need it.

Joey,  I think you have an E-drive with the starter up front, and his is in the back thru firewall?

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the feedback on this.  Yep, checked the grounds all good.  Direct short through the starter for some reason.  Real bugger as it has only two hours on it (about 5 starts) (though it is 20 years old).

Hey Ed, by chance are you selling the complete 532 package?  We have a new guy in our EAA chapter with an Avid looking for a good used 503 or 532.

Larry

Posted

Thanks for the feedback on this.  Yep, checked the grounds all good.  Direct short through the starter for some reason.  Real bugger as it has only two hours on it (about 5 starts) (though it is 20 years old).

Hey Ed, by chance are you selling the complete 532 package?  We have a new guy in our EAA chapter with an Avid looking for a good used 503 or 532.

Larry

Larry,

Excuse my cursing, but @#$%&+++! - I sat on that 532 and hauled it 8000 miles to Alaska and back, advertised it a long time, and Nobody wanted it - Finally, this year, I sold carbs, exhausts, and redrive off of it, so what I have left is the basic engine which would need rebuilding, the starter, and ignition system!   I have seen some on ebay, but nearly as high as the better 582, or less hp 503.

I feel better now - at least someone might have wanted it - Ha!

Thanks,  EdMO