Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mounting the new Cowling

15 posts in this topic

Posted

The plane came with a makeshift cowling that I have replaced with a new fibreglass cowling. However I am looking for different methods to install it. The lower half is already mounted but how about the top half to the lower half? Any Ideas? I though of running a strip of sheet on the inside riveted in place to the lower half and then fastener installed on it for the upper half to mount to. 

Posted

Some people use a piano hinge between the top and bottom and pull the pins out to remove the cowl.  Kind of a nice idea.  Maybe applies better to a long Avid type cowl verses the shorter sections on a Kitfox.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Hey Jim I'm sorry I should have mentioned that this is for an Avid MK4 and They are the long runs. Its the whole cowling just upper and lower half. There isn't that third section so it would just be the two horizontal seams. I'm tying to wrap my head around the piano hinge and how that works. How would that work for removing? You just out the front pull the entire pin right out? Is it riveted in? fibreglassed in?

Edited by fusionfab
add

Posted (edited)

Hey Jim I'm sorry I should have mentioned that this is for an Avid MK4 and They are the long runs. Its the whole cowling just upper and lower half. There isn't that third section so it would just be the two horizontal seams. I'm tying to wrap my head around the piano hinge and how that works. How would that work for removing? You just out the front pull the entire pin right out? 

You put a small loop in the end of the piano wire, then offset bend to match your cowl - a screw and washer thru the loop into cowl keeps it from coming out the front and getting into prop.  to remove, take screw out and pull wire to front - fast removal - you might need a couple of camlocks somewhere in front also.   I haven't done it, but read about it.

One on each side and you can get the whole top off fast.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed and Jim thanks. I just located an old brass piano hinge here and basically placed it alongside the cowling. I now follow what you two are saying and I must say, I like it. I saved a bunch of cam locks from the old tin cowling. All different depths but theres enough to work with. Probably  a cam lock on each vertical beside the prop hub where the cowl meets I'm guessing? Now would the best method for mounting the piano hinges be to rivet them in place or another way? 

Thanks again guys

Posted (edited)

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

She still needs some attention on the edges, cleaned up primed and painted. 

Edited by fusionfab

Posted

Aluminum or stainless hinges?

Posted

Aluminum or stainless hinges?

I had not considered stainless - You need the kind with removable wire - keep the wire in them when you bend them to match the cowl - from what I read you could use countersink rivets or screws, and since you have work to do on it, I read about putting a layer of cloth and epoxy over the rivet or screw heads and blend it to the cowl, and you wont see them.  I guess I take the easy way out and would not bother with that unless the cowl needed work anyway.  I have also seen cowl that were hinged on top with piano hinges, and you could just flip open one side by removing one pin.   "Whatever Works"...

EdmO

Posted

You will need 2 camlocks or something to hold the pieces beside the prop together.  On the ones I've seen, a small piece of aluminum was fastened to either bottom or top cowling piece so it nested inside the other when they were put together, and the camlock  grabbed the aluminum piece.  Pretty sure this is shown in the manual.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

My cowling looks just like this one, but it's hinged in the top - down the middle to allow one side to be opened at a time if you want.   Its attached along the length of both sides with camlocks spaced a few inches apart, and as mentioned above, the two tabs behind the prop have a tab of aluminum riveted to the top piece, and a camlock through the bottom piece, each side.

There are also a couple of camlocks on top that I set first that kind of line the whole thing up.

I can take pics, but I'm AFP (Away From Plane) for 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

TONY Benglis, who wrote the Sportplane builder books, says to lay out your camlocks or screws for the cowl and Then remove every-other one.   He says you don't need half of what you planned to put in - One every 6 inches is enough.   

I tend to agree.

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay thanks everyone. I have decided to give the piano hinge along the sides a go. Then will install the aluminum back plates and cam locks for the vertical sections near prop hub. Again thanks and I will post pics with the progress. Hopefully successful progress 

Posted

Okay thanks everyone. I have decided to give the piano hinge along the sides a go. Then will install the aluminum back plates and cam locks for the vertical sections near prop hub. Again thanks and I will post pics with the progress. Hopefully successful progress 

Are you going to piano hinge both sides?  I'm confused :wacko:

Posted

Are you going to piano hinge both sides?  I'm confused :wacko:

I think that his intention is to put removable piano hinge wires on both sides so he can remove the whole top quickly.  I like the permanent piano hinge on top, and removable wires on each side, so you can just lift one side, but everyone makes their own choice.

EdMO

Posted

Sorry Knuckledragger, yes I am going to install the piano hinge on both sides of the cowl so I can remove the top half. Give that a go. Ive ordered the hinges from ACS an just waiting on them now. I will for sure post pictures of the progress and hopefully all works out. 

1 person likes this