Fox Flyer Wannabe from Nevada

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All,

My name is Joshua and I'm a wannabe Kitfox Flyer.  

I'm an A&P currently employed at Dassault Aircraft Services (DAS) in Reno, NV.  We are a factory owned service center working on Falcon 50, 900, 2000, and 7Xs performing anything from changing a light bulb to heavy "C" check inspections.  I'm proud to be a member of our DAS team and extremely proud to be a part of the Dassault family and its rich aviation history.  Not trying to pick a fight, but I truly believe the Falcon is the finest business jet ever built, and our service center's quality continues that heritage. 

Prior to working at DAS, I was employed by West Star Aviation in Grand Junction, CO.  There I worked my way up from an entry level tech to a CAT I Inspector and Citation Crew Lead.  I also have extensive experience on Hawker 700 thru 900 series aircraft as well as Cessna Conquests, Pilatus PC-7, and Gulfstream (IAI) G-200 (Galaxy).  

My general aviation interested began at a young age thanks to my Dad.  Prior to my arrival in this world he owned and sold a Cessna 172 and 172XP.  He racked up several hundred hours just flying for the fun of it.  Throughout my childhood he'd rent various aircraft for weekend adventures, and also built or partially built a couple homebuilts including Protech PT-2, Cavalier, Christavia, and RV-9A.  When I was a freshman in high school he purchased a stock Cessna 150F and based at Grand Junction Regional Airport.  In 2002 I passed my check ride and earned my PPL.  

Due to expense, college, career, marriage, kids, and that thing we call life I've only managed to log about 100 flight hours.  Things have stabilized and I've started to put money away each month for an airplane of my own.  I just want to fly, and to have an aircraft I can be proud of.  I'm not interested in anything too fancy, I don't want to travel in it, I just want a true two place that performs well in the high mountains of the Western US. 

After months of research I've narrowed my list to two aircraft.  The Kitfox III powered by an 80hp 912, or a Kitfox IV 1200 powered by a 100hp 912s.  I would like to make some mods including but not limited to Grove Gear, Wide Body Mod, Plastic Fuel Tanks (ethanol complian), etc.

Thank you for letting me join your community, I look forward to learning something from each and everyone of you. 

-Joshua

049339.jpg

Falcon+7X+Exterior+2.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Welcome Joshua,

We have a good time here - sounds like you have a lot of experience around both kitplanes and turbines.  Hope you join the fun.

Now that I have been nice - How is that little number legal on the tail of that 150?  It is not an experimental or an antique with original small numbers...Have they changed the FAR on markings since I went to school?

I am an AMT/A&P too.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Good eye, and we are aware.  According to AC 45-2D the aircraft is an antique and can display 2 inch numbers... until its repainted.  We took a gamble and were never ramped as I dont think the local FSDO gave a rats behind about the most pathetic airplane on the ramp.  They were out to get the 135 operators for big fines.  Oh well, its the new owners issue now!

Posted

See AC 45-2D-1 attached. Table 3 is silly.  Its says 2" are ok on "antiques" but then there is a gotcha further down on table 3 talking about exceptions if you repaint you aircraft.  So legally, only orginal paint 2" numbers are legal? 

ac 45-2d-1.pdf

Posted

See AC 45-2D-1 attached. Table 3 is silly.  Its says 2" are ok on "antiques" but then there is a gotcha further down on table 3 talking about exceptions if you repaint you aircraft.  So legally, only orginal paint 2" numbers are legal? 

ac 45-2d-1.pdf

That's what I was referring to, but I thought the "antiques" had 3" numbers instead of the 2" for experimentals.  My Ercoupe had 3" (and we had repainted).  Guess there are worse "sins" than that!  Would be easy to tape over the numbers and paint the rest of the plane...I lived in Alaska and learned a lot up there, so not many surprises down here.

EdMo

Posted

I have a IV-1050 with a 80 hp 912 that will be going on the market as soon as I finish my "Mangy Fox" project.  (Just something to think about…)

Welcome to the madhouse.  Join in and begin to abuse EdMo as soon as possible.  (We can't let him get to thinking to highly of himself…)

2 people like this

Posted

Ditto on that,  I'm still holding onto that  other cartoon of the nose wheel pilot for an appropriate time.  ;-)  Just kidding Ed,  you know we love you!  Jim Chuk

3 people like this

Posted

Ditto on that,  I'm still holding onto that  other cartoon of the nose wheel pilot for an appropriate time.  ;-)  Just kidding Ed,  you know we love you!  Jim Chuk

Joshua, Be warned - These are TD drivers who think all Tri-gear pilots should wear Pink Shirts!  Heck, I look good in any color!  :lol:

EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Why all the bashing of pink shirts?
I saw Bill Cosby wear one once...

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted

Why all the bashing of pink shirts?
I saw Bill Cosby wear one once...

Lou

And, Elvis had a pink Cadillac!  The Eveready bunny is Pink!  I saw a Pink Elephant once!  Nothing wrong with Pink!  :lol:

EdMo

1 person likes this

Posted

Good eye, and we are aware.  According to AC 45-2D the aircraft is an antique and can display 2 inch numbers... until its repainted.  We took a gamble and were never ramped as I dont think the local FSDO gave a rats behind about the most pathetic airplane on the ramp.  They were out to get the 135 operators for big fines.  Oh well, its the new owners issue now!

Unless I was one of the "dumbest -nitpicking" inspectors,  I would say that the 150 is still legal with the small numbers, since it looks like that part of the tail is still polished aluminum, and was never "repainted".   I think there are more important things to worry about.  I just had to ask, since I have owned and flown lots of Cessnas since the late 1950s, and don't remember ever seeing a new 150 with small numbers.

EdMO

Posted

EdMO,

I love it, how can you repaint a factory polished aircraft?!

So I met a gentleman at the Reno Air Races who is a CFI, affiliated with "Stick and Rudder", and just bought a factory new Kitfox Super Sport SLSA with a 914.  Starting this spring he's going to give instruction, hope to get my tail wheel rating then.  Keeping my pink shirt though.

-Joshua

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

EdMO,

I love it, how can you repaint a factory polished aircraft?!

So I met a gentleman at the Reno Air Races who is a CFI, affiliated with "Stick and Rudder", and just bought a factory new Kitfox Super Sport SLSA with a 914.  Starting this spring he's going to give instruction, hope to get my tail wheel rating then.  Keeping my pink shirt though.

-Joshua

I think taildragging is good experience and will make a better and more precision pilot of everyone - makes you appreciate modern engineering when you can get back into a nosedragger and don't have to fight with the plane trying to swap ends on landings, or do groundloops.

I treat the pink shirt like I do my reversible jacket - Wear the pink when you want to, and leather when you want to be an antique pilot, even better when you don't have a modern starter and have to flip the prop by hand to start the engine!   Of course, the ultimate pilot does all of the above with an open cockpit and a scarf and goggles!  :lol:

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Gotta love Ed's sense of humor.. Just like a woman, it ain't no fun screwing with him if he don't push back every now and again.  :lmao:  :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Gotta love Ed's sense of humor.. Just like a woman, it ain't no fun screwing with him if he don't push back every now and again.  :lmao:  :lol:

Leni,  If you don't get a response from me, it is either because I have gotten too senile to remember what you wrote, or time to sit on my tombstone and have a Bud Lite and wish me a good flight...

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Leni,  If you don't get a response from me, it is either because I have gotten too senile to remember what you wrote, or time to sit on my tombstone and have a Bud Lite and wish me a good flight...

EDMO

Lets hope your just senile.. Cause I don't drink bud lite.. not even for the dear departed.  I will however water the grass with a fresh bottle of BL (that shit will probably kill the grass too) while I sit there and toast ya with a Captn N coke or an MGD..  :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

EDMO

Lets hope your just senile.. Cause I don't drink bud lite.. not even for the dear departed.  I will however water the grass with a fresh bottle of BL (that shit will probably kill the grass too) while I sit there and toast ya with a Captn N coke or an MGD..  :lol:

I will have to look up IDENTIFIER CODES for the Cemetery - Just knowing you will be there will make me wait longer to takeoff!  :lol:

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this