Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing swap

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I picked up a Kf2 but need new flaperons and 4 ribs on left wing. I also just picked up a avid flyer A model for parts , are the wings the same in those to aircraft? ? 

Posted (edited)

I picked up a Kf2 but need new flaperons and 4 ribs on left wing. I also just picked up a avid flyer A model for parts , are the wings the same in those to aircraft? ? 

The Avid wings are shorter, but will interchange with the Kitfox - The struts will not fit.  The model A wing spars are not as strong as the KF2 spars which should have an internal full-length extruded web.  Where are you located?  I have flaperons and a pair of KF3 wings both with tanks, but one needs rib tails repaired.   I've got lots of extra Kitfox parts for sale.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

When Ed says they will interchange, that needs clarification.

Both planes utilized 27-1/2" front-to-back pin-to-pin spar attach bushing measures. So both wings will bolt/pin to their own respective fuselage and the other fuselage, but that's about it. Struts and flaperons, flaperon push/pull control tubes and control mixers are all different, as are the under camber rib and wing tank profiles. They can be made to fit but it will cost you time and money.

Posted

If you need new ribs because the tails got broke off, you can fix those ribs.  I have a series of posts showing how I redid the rib tails on a couple of Avid ribs.  Those posts were probably in March or so. Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

If you need new ribs because the tails got broke off, you can fix those ribs.  I have a series of posts showing how I redid the rib tails on a couple of Avid ribs.  Those posts were probably in March or so. Jim Chuk

Jim,  Is there a way to do that repair without having to re-cover the whole wing?  Seems like I saw a UK or Kitfox page where they put the reinforcement angles on the rib tails and just repaired the fabric where they cut it.

EdMO

Posted

I doubt it.  Especially if he has to repair 4 ribs.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I doubt it.  Especially if he has to repair 4 ribs.  Jim Chuk

I've got 5 broken ones on one wing - that's how many they did for the UK reinforcement.  Mine could use a re-cover anyway.  I put .060 aluminum on both sides of all the Foxy tails, 9460 and lots of rivets.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Jim,  Is there a way to do that repair without having to re-cover the whole wing?  Seems like I saw a UK or Kitfox page where they put the reinforcement angles on the rib tails and just repaired the fabric where they cut it.

EdMO

The instructions for retrofitting the flaperon hanger reinforcements is contained in Kitfox Service Bulletin #9

Posted

Thanks for the link Doug.  The bottom cap strip on the Avid wing goes back a few more inches than the Kitfox rib does.  (clear to the trailing edge actually)  This would make this mod harder to do on an Avid.  Also, I don't think is a recommended repair for a broken rib tail, but rather a way to strengthen a sound rib tail.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Sorry i fell of the earth, my account wound not get me get back on so i had to make a new one. Thank you for all the good info I am still currently lookign for a set of flaperons and I will give that post a look of how to repair the ribs. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry i fell of the earth, my account wound not get me get back on so i had to make a new one. Thank you for all the good info I am still currently lookign for a set of flaperons and I will give that post a look of how to repair the ribs. 

So, I will ask you again,  Where are you located?

I still have Kitfox 1,2,3 flaperons...

EdMO

Edited by EDMO