Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Interesting Kitfox sales brochure

48 posts in this topic

Posted

I like the colors! Looks good . . .

Posted

Still plenty to do on this plane, but it's got 2 wings on for the first time in a few years.  Jim Chuk

Photo0581.jpg

Photo0583.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Well I got it together and out in the sunshine today.  Taxied it a bit.  Still have some small things to do on it though.  JIm Chuk

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0021.JPG

DSCN0024.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

Congrats! Almost there! Be flying before you know it.

Posted (edited)

Hi all,  Wow! tonight was the night, or evening anyway.  Flew the Kitfox 1 for the first time.   Did two  circuts around the strip.  Water temps are a bit high, it was only about 70 when I was flying so overheating shouldn't be an issue.  I'll look at things more tomorrow.  I managed to get a video of the first flight, it's uploading to utube right now.  I'll post a link once it's up and viewable.  If you search under jim chuk,  you can see all my videos, maybe 20 or so.  It will be there once it's loaded.   Anyway, I'm on a bit of adrenaline high right now.  You never really know how a plane is going to fly till it flys and the nerves were running at a good clip.  The Kitfox sure climbs out, I wasn't pushing it at all, and it really got up in the air.  Needed a bit of right rudder, maybe it was partly me though, I'll get a better feel for things in future flights.  I wont be as nervous then ;-)  Anyway, Wow!  I'm happy and enjoying my second beer.  Thirsty for some reason.  Jim Chuk 
PS  Video took over 2 hours to upload, but here it is.  Sorry it's not better, but it shows that the plane flew.

Edited by 1avidflyer
3 people like this

Posted

Nice job Jim Congrats!!

Posted

Congratulations - way to go!!

Posted

I see the bars above your head are not your stock kitfox 1 did you do like I did and weld in new ones.

Posted

What radiator you running?

Posted

What radiator you running?

Along with this dont forget them grey heads need the small water line from the front of the head plumbed just below the radiator cap, that also helps keep them cool.

Posted

Thanks, guys.  I think the top tubes are from the factory.  If you look at the magazine article at the beginning of this thread, you can see them like what is there now.  I imagine that the earliest KItfoxes copied Avid, and then started changing as things went on.  This one is # 151, that's 140 planes after yours.  I do have the small tube in the head that you referred to TJay.  As far as the radiator goes, it's the standard Kitfox radiator. 2" x 4" x 16" or something like that.  I lowered it 1 1/2" today to get it more into the air flow.  I'll see if it does any good the next time I fly it.  Took the rudder trim tab off as well.  The nose wanted to turn to the right when I flew, in fact in the video I can see the ball is out of sight to the right to start with and then I get it more or less in line.  The tab would have helped it turn right.  More flight testing is needed, last night I just wanted to get it around the field in one piece.  (me and the plane)  Anyway, I'm kind of a happy camper today.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I find it interesting the need to lower the radiator.  I have the same radiator and it is mounted tight to the bottom of the plane ant it cools my 105 hp Zipper 912 just fine.  I would think that my engine makes just as much heat to the coolant as a 582, if not more…  ?

Mangy.JPG

Posted

Larry,  I think the info on better cooling by lowering the 582 rad about 1 1/2 to 2"  came from Leni.   EDMO

Posted

I should have tested if the sender was accurate to begin with instead of automatically lowering the radiator.  I will check the sender next time I run it.  I have a lazer temp gun that I can shine onto the sender where it sticks out of the head.  If I get it fairly warm and then shut down and let things stabilize for a minute or so, the gauge and the gun should read pretty close together if the sender/gauge is accurate I would think.  I do have to agree with you Larry, if your radiator cools your 105 horses, it should cool my 65.  May be other problems though, like a weak water pump or something???  Time will tell I guess.   Jim Chuk

Posted

When I checked the sender/gauge against the lazer  thermometer, the gauge read 20 degrees higher than the thermometer.   I flew it again this evening, and temps stayed well below 180, probably around 160 at cruise according to the gauge.  It was about 72 F for outside temps.   So lowering the radiator did lower the water temp, although I probably didn't need to.   Got some more flying time in the plane anyway,  Need to put a trim tab on the rudder, have to step on the right rudder to keep the ball centered in flight.   The plane sure is easy to land, I was worried about the way the cowl sticks up so much higher than it did on the Avid, but it really isn't a problem if you put your head close to the door to see past the cowl.  Anyway, having fun!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Hope I'm not boring you all with my posts, but it's kind of slow on the list.   I know I always like reading about other's projects so I'll keep on.  Flew the Kitfox 1 again this evening.  5 take offs and landings.  Had the wife do a couple of videos, and I put them up on utube.  Enjoy!  I did.  JImChuk

Posted

Not boring me.  I'm a fan of the early models.  Looks like it flys pretty well.  Nice smooth landing.

Posted

Nice landing!

Mark

Posted

Well, I was flying again this evening.  Beautiful evening.  Shot some video showing the panel, gauges, speeds, rpm, ect.  I was at about a 800'-900' ASL in the vid.  Enjoy,  I did.  I'm kind of liking this plane! JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

A friend of mine has a 64" IVO he wasn't using, so we gave that a try today to see if it would run smoother.  Compare this video to the last one, and look at the compass to see the difference.  With the 64" IVO, climb and speed was down a bit from the 2 blade 70" Warp drive taper tip, but it did run smoother.  Anyway, here is today's short video.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I guess the next thing will be putting Kitfox wings with droop tips on your Avid?  Enjoyed the videos. 

BTW:  Was looking on Yahoo yesterday and found a photo of a waitress dressed in a black T-shirt which had the words,

"Black Olives Matter"!  :lol: 

Another article said that George Soros, who owns Oh Bummer, and others had given $100 Million to BLM - Wonder what that will do for them?  That's nothing to laugh about!   EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Got a bit more video of the Kitfox 1 this evening.  Maybe inspiration and motivation for those struggling with their builds.  Keep at it, if you do, you'll be able to post vids like this one.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim,  I always enjoy watching flying videos, but dang, you got to filter out that prop - my eyes are still flashing.  :BC:  EDMO