Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Economical Application of 2-Part Paints

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I need a 2K (two component) epoxy primer and 2K polyurethane color topcoat compatible with the PolyFiber covering system for a small repair job. Lacquer based products are not compatible so I believe a 2K urethane epoxy primer, rather than a self-etching primer, would be the better choice over bare metal and powder coat on a frame. Particularly if the fabric top color coat is a 2K polyurethane like PolyFiber's Aerothane.

You probably already know that 2K epoxy primer and 2K polyurethane top coats are expensive (see: PolyFiber EP-240). I sure would like to know how to do a small job economically when all this stuff seems to be sold in large quantities like quart kits (which make up to 2-1/2 quarts of catalyzed, thinned product). And, since this job so small, I would really like to avoid setting up, calibrating, spraying and thoroughly cleaning my spray equipment.

Has anyone used aerosol can 2K epoxy or 2K poly topcoat products such as these?

Rustoleum Aerosol 2K Epoxy Primer

Eastwood 2K Aerospray Epoxy Primer

SprayMax Universal 2K Epoxy Primer

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

-bump-

Has anyone used aerosol can 2K epoxy or 2K poly topcoat products such as these?

Posted

Try calling Polyfiber. They will most likely tell you to use their product but they may be nice and let you know if it'll work or not.

Posted

Joey, 2K epoxy and poly-u topcoat is compatible with PolyFiber. Really looking for feedback regarding ease or difficulty of application using these new rattle can 2K's, ie. Any problems activating the hardener, did the paint catalyze properly, spray thick or thin, lay down a nice consistent wet edge or spit and splatter, any orange peel or other issues, is drying time and set up hardness/durability comparable with the traditional 2-part paints when gun sprayed, is a dual cartridge respirator ok for small rattle can jobs vs. positive air pressure mask (providing proper ventilation of course), etc. etc. Guess nobody has tried or heard anything on these 2K rattle can products yet.

Posted

I shot a lot of poly-u when I was doing model planes the old school way.  Never had a problem with them flaking or peeling.  as always, good prep is the key.  I still have a few cans laying around.  I shot it over Coverite cloth coverings, dacron covering and fiberglass cowlings.  I have a couple planes that have been around for 35 years with no real issues to the coatings.

:BC:

Posted

yes, but I am asking about the new technology - 2-part epoxy and topcoat paints in a rattle can with integral hardener ampule that you break just before using. You know... kinda like the nitrogen widget in Guinness beer cans. 

Posted (edited)

Doug,

I know you are looking for an easier, cheaper solution - But we sprayed Stewarts over Self-etching primer on the Cub cowl and parts, and got a nice hard, Uthane finish with water cleanup on the gun.

I think Stewarts will sell finish coat in pints or quarts, but we had bought gallons before getting the black for the stripe on the Cub.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Im sorry but for that price I would buy 2 Part Epoxy and use a Harbor Freight Touch up gun. I have used it a few times with the Epoxy and it works well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirker-Enduro-Prime-Epoxy-Primer-Catalyst-1-Quart-EPC611QT-/131544534641?hash=item1ea0aa4e71:g:6yUAAOSw3ydVjY5f&item=131544534641&vxp=mtr

Then, what are you going to use for a finish coat that matches his polyu ?  I thought Doug was trying to get away from messy chemical cleanup and high cost of a gallon of polyu - That's why I suggested a small lot of Stewarts with water cleanup and they can probably match his colors.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

...and kill you with the iscocionates. 

Im with FoxDB. Get a pint of poly tone and a cheap touch up gun. Done. 

Posted

If you missed the first post...

I have three HF paint guns, all are a P.I.T.A. to clean properly in my experience. Probably even more so with 2-part paints. I'd like to avoid that hassle for such a small paint job.

I can't use PolyTone. Only 2K epoxy primer and 2K poly-urethane topcoat.

The 2K all-in-one aerosol rattle can epoxy and topcoat approach would cost me about $50. Clean up consists of tossing the empty rattle cans.

(1) Qt of two-part epoxy and catalyst plus shipping cost about $50, and I still have to buy and ship the 2K poly, catalyst, reducer, gun cleaning solvents. That equals more $$$ and, because the shelf life of opened but un-catalyzed 2K products is very short, a bunch of wasted product.

Equipment setup for the aerosol rattle can 2K might consist of good cross flow ventilation and the new P95 dual canister respirator already sitting on my shelf vs. mixing paint, setting up gun, compressor, positive breathing apparatus (which I don't have), test spraying etc...

Something too that I thought would be a big positive for the rattle can products... if you've ever had to contort yourself in, around and under tight obstacles to paint something, you know what a P.I.T.A. that can be. Now try to do it recovering from 3 ruptured discs in your back, all the while doing your best to keep the air line from fudging up your just painted fuselage tubing.

yada, yada, so the rattle can convenience is looking mighty attractive to me. I was leaning this way but hoping someone night have tried them and could speak to their experience. Sometimes you just gotta be 'that guy'. :unsure:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Doug,

Where I was missing the boat was the ad for the Eastwood product - I think it said the only finish coat colors was "Model T" BLACK - So unless you need black, or find another source, then you are going to have to spray your topcoat - That's why I suggested the water cleanup with Stewarts if you are going to use PolyU.

I would be interested in an rattle-can colors other than Black....

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Doug,

Where I was missing the boat was the ad for the Eastwood product - I think it said the only finish coat colors was "Model T" BLACK - So unless you need black, or find another source, then you are going to have to spray your topcoat - That's why I suggested the water cleanup with Stewarts if you are going to use PolyU.

I would be interested in an rattle-can colors other than Black....

EdMO

Actually, the first Model T Fords were not available in Black.   They were painted Gray, Green, Blue and Red, and they looked very nice.              It was not until 1914 thru 1925 that the only color they came in was Black.

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Just an update... I used this aerosol 2k epoxy primer and it is the cats meow (and I'm no cat fan!). I have no hesitation recommending if you need a true 2-component epoxy for small jobs. As noted above, cleanup was a breeze. :)

FWIW, I used SprayMax 2K Epoxy Rust Cure Primer - p/n 3680032 sourced from my local auto paint supplier @ $17/can. Bot three cans and sprayed (2) coats on everything shown in the pics, have about 1/2 can left in the fridge to do my wingtips. Both spray patterns (small vs. large oval coverage and vertical vs. horizontal orientation) are infinitely adjustable on the tip. Very handy when trying to spray tubing in tight areas. Obviously, lots of waste spraying tubing, but the stuff covered very well IMO.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Doug,  What dealer?  Is Spraymax made by a major paint company, like PPG, or who?  I have two or three different paint supply stores near me and wonder which would have this.   Did you sand or blast tubes before painting?   Thanks for posting about it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ed - I stopped by a local auto paint supplier and saw this 2k rattle can epoxy primer on an end cap display. They echoed all the positive reviews I had read online and said it was very popular with their customers, so I decided to test it out. Normal pre-paint prep, no issues at all putting the primer on. Very convenient, I would use it again. Check your local paint supply shop(s), the big box and most local hardware stores don't carry it in my experience.

http://usa.spraymax.com

Edited by dholly

Posted

Thanks Doug - I got Quest Automotive Products from the link - will search for it.  EDMO

Posted

Looks good Doug!