Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ever replaced a door bell transformer?

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I swear the weirdest stuff goes out when I am deployed. We had one those fancy doorbell cameras installed from our alarm company about a month ago. It was pretty cool... good video, live stream of the front of my house from my phone, two way comms with anyone on the front porch from my phone, etc. Well it went offline after a few weeks of operation. They have sent out two "techs" now and both confirmed that it there has no power getting to it. They wired it to the low voltage wires where the stock 20 year working door bell was at.

They cut us a check for $225 and said hire an electrician. I understand how the system works but finding the transformer itself has proven challenging. Every website I've tried gives typical locations all of which have turned up nothing so far. The chime box has a schematic but again who knows where the actual transformer is. Before my wife has to let a stranger in our house to root around looking for an $11 part that he's gonna charge us $200 for I thought I would check with you guys to see if anyone had any else to add. We have this style of chime box. Always a fun exercise in communication when troubleshooting something like this with you wife via text message from half a world away!

IMG_0501.JPG

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

My early 70s NuTone is mounted in the attic screwed to a ceiling joist in the vicinity above the chime

Lou

Edited by KFfan

Posted

I have always refused to have a door bell because of kids and salesmen - But, has anyone checked the circuit breakers?

EdMO

Posted

If it is to code, it probably is attached to it's own work box. This is what mine looks like.

001.JPG

Posted

In my old house it was attached to the circuit breaker box in the basement (surface mount box).  I haven't found the one in my new house, but I'll admit I haven't looked very hard.

Posted

Mine's not useable. The house faces south and the sun melts the push button. I haven't replaced it :flag:

Posted

She located it right behind the chime box. Should be an easy enough of a swap if that is indeed the problem. Wish I was home.

image.jpg

Posted

Wow good fined, im an electrician for about 30 years and never seen it hid behind the door chime before, if you have a voltmeter handy it would be reading 12 volts or there abouts if its still working

Posted (edited)

Wow good fined, im an electrician for about 30 years and never seen it hid behind the door chime before, if you have a voltmeter handy it would be reading 12 volts or there abouts if its still working

Isn't this the most useful airplane site ever started...  :BC:

EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I believe the subject is germane.

One never knows when those people arrive to present  you with that HUGE check for a gazillion dollars. You would never have to repair or build another airplane…

If the door bell didn’t work you how would they notify you? :o

Lou

Posted

Germane:  today's vocabulary word of the day. 

Adjective.  Relevant to a subject under consideration. 

Now use use it in a sentence before you go to bed. 

:huh:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Germane:  today's vocabulary word of the day. 

Adjective.  Relevant to a subject under consideration. 

Now use use it in a sentence before you go to bed. 

:huh:

I heard that word used in Smoky and the Bandit movie once - Guess it has nothing to do with the Germans?

And, my post above referring to "Airplane Site" was a compliment, that we can get on here and fix ANY Pilot's problem!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

And, my post above referring to "Airplane Site" was a compliment, that we can get on here and fix ANY Pilot's problem!

EDMO

So then its a "Pilot" site?

Posted

Of course it is, a pilot site about airplanes.  I don't think too many planes are logging on and reading these posts.  It might be fun to read what they post about their pilots though!

Posted

One never knows what is really in ADS-B?

Posted

That is indeed true.  I remember a sci fi book I read where all the household machines were semi-intelligent.  They amused themselves by gossiping about their owners with machines in other households.  The hero in the book was able to listen to this gossip and use that information to bring down the 'bad guys'.  I thought it was ludicrous at the time, after all, who needs a semi-intelligent refrigerator? (since it is generally a semi-intelligent guy opening it?)  But now here we are, with refrigerators that will order your beer when it gets too low, and all the tech talk is about the growth of the 'internet of things'.

Mark