Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

tail wheel

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Thanks for posting this! 

I've been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on in preparation for tail wheel training in the not-to-distant future. 

To all you seasoned pros: 

As as time allows in the next few months I plan to train with CFIs in

tailwheel w endorsement

spin recovery

emergency maneuvers 

aerobatics

seaplane rating

is there anything else I should add to the list?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting this! 

I've been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on in preparation for tail wheel training in the not-to-distant future. 

tailwheel w endorsement

spin recovery

emergency maneuvers 

aerobatics

seaplane rating

Prayer?  Bud Lite?  Captain Morgan?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks for posting the link

Had time to sit and watch and rewatch some parts,very relevant!

a must watch for all taildragger pilots,we are never to old/experienced to learn something new.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for posting this! 

tailwheel w endorsement

spin recovery

emergency maneuvers 

aerobatics

seaplane rating

It depends on what you are planning to do in the future.  Are you wanting aviation as a career or just pure fun?  If its just for fun I got money on the seaplane rating being your funnest course and funnest flying followed closely by the aerobatics.  I think its horse shit that spin recovery is not a requirement for the PPL or any other initial pilots license.  I don't think the first time you find yourself in a spin should be without an instructor as shit can happen really fast and the airspeed can get away from you really quick if your not recovering or keeping it fully stalled.  I grew up flying model airplanes and was way far into competition aerobatics with models since I was in Jr High school so I knew all the control inputs needed for various maneuvers and recovery so I was automatic on the stick and rudder during my flight training.  Yes I loved doing stalls and spins (the best I can get out of the Avid even at a more aft CG is a tight spiral not a spin). 

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

I fly strictly for fun. :D  I agree on the spin training needing to be part of the regular curriculum.  Its early on my list, even though I've passed the checkride, I still feel like im a student of the art.  I want to be safe and capable. With all the reading I've been doing, I can't help feel like I've barely scratched the surface and the license issued is a just permission to go learn how to be an aviator.

2 people like this

Posted

I fly strictly for fun. :D  I agree on the spin training needing to be part of the regular curriculum.  Its early on my list, even though I've passed the checkride, I still feel like im a student of the art.  I want to be safe and capable. With all the reading I've been doing, I can't help feel like I've barely scratched the surface and the license issued is a just permission to go learn how to be an aviator.

Great thread.

I felt this vid should be included as well.  Great review for everyone in simple terms.and also states requirements for TW endorsement under FAR Part 61.31.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m7JyxFreaY

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for posting this! 

tailwheel w endorsement

spin recovery

emergency maneuvers 

aerobatics

seaplane rating

Limitless funding?

2 people like this

Posted

Limitless funding?

Sounds like unlimited funding.  Must be nice. -:)

Posted

Limitless funding?

Sounds like unlimited funding.  Must be nice. -:)

Ha! I'm not planning to do this all in one day ;)