Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

KITFOX FLAPERON ENDS?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Were the Kitfox flaperons closed differently at the root (control end) than the Kitfox 1 & 2 ?  My 1 & 2 were squeezed together at both ends and rounded at the root end, and maybe riveted together there.   The Kitfox 3 flaperons I just got look like some thin aluminum sheet was the root end closure and the root end is same profile as the rest of the flaperon and not squeezed together.   I don't have the KF3 manual - what does it say about that?

EDMO

Posted

It was left to the builder to close them out how they saw fit.  Mine were left in the factory profile (not squeezed) and closed with foam and epoxy micro slurry.

Posted

My Kitfox 4 kit came from Skystar with a small piece of blue stryofoam for the flaperon ends included in the kit.  Can probably dig out that page from the manual if you need it. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

My Kitfox 4 kit came from Skystar with a small piece of blue stryofoam for the flaperon ends included in the kit.  Can probably dig out that page from the manual if you need it. Jim Chuk

I know about the blue Styrofoam and 9460 method - I think he may have done something like that on the full profile squared outer ends.  I have the KF 1 and 4 manuals.

The root end of one is completely open, and the other has about 1/3 chord of thin aluminum still there.   I guess the new owner could use the foam/9460 or squeeze them and rivet - either one would work - I was just curious if instructions changed for model 3.

Thanks,  EDmO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

When I fixed Bob's on his mod 1 I used a piece of 1/2" balsa and shaped it to fit into the tip then gave it a nice rounded profile and glued it in.  Worked great and gave it just a little strength to hold shape when you crack your head on it.

:BC:

Posted

I can relate to the cracking your head thing.  Best thing to wear while in the plane is a baseball cap to block the sun with, worst thing when walking around and under the plane cause it sure blocks things then as well.  Jim Chuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I can relate to the cracking your head thing.  Best thing to wear while in the plane is a baseball cap to block the sun with, worst thing when walking around and under the plane cause it sure blocks things then as well.  Jim Chuk

so true!  Thats one reason I love the big tires and extended gear.  Not I just skim the top of my head, not get cracked right between the eyes.  Please tell me I am not the only one who has found themselves laying flat on their back at the airport looking around sheepishly to make sure no one saw you :lol:  Worse yet, when I did it on ice with about 3" of standing water on it... that ended that days flying cause I had to go home and change clothes  :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

My wife is taller than me and got herself a Cessna tramp stamp to the forehead from a flap one day following me on a preflight of a 172. Was hard not to laugh. Only time I've done it was in my hangar on a mission to get a tool from the bench. Was right after I went to a three bladed prop. 

2 people like this

Posted

My soon to be Ex wife got her a curtis drain valve to the top of the head one day.. I did laugh.. good gouge with a lil gasoline mixed in.. hard not to laugh at the cocky um.. person..

2 people like this

Posted

Years ago when I started working at an FBO in maintenance, I cracked my head for a solid month until I got use to it. Then you just kind of walked stooped over most of the time around small high wing aircraft. So am pretty conscious about it, but every once and a while.... :blink:

Posted (edited)

The rear of my port wing tip is near the hanger door.  I've come through that door with things on my mind or in my hands and caught that spot square in the forehead several times.  The wing tip has softened up a bit now, so I'm more careful not to keep running into it and hurt it more.

Edited by Knuckledragger