Tack hookup

14 posts in this topic

Posted

The Avid Mark IV is complete and registered.  Next is the EAA chapter Technical adviser to look at the workmanship and advise on any issues.  Still some work on the Rotax 582 to get it running correctly. Need different main jets for the altitude in Colorado. Then need the FAA to do their inspection.  Just my update.

My question is where do I connect the Hobbs meter to activate when the engine is started.  I currently have it on a switch.

DSC01044.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

I believe mine was hooked to the Key West regulator.

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice looking plane Jon - Welcome to the minority group of nose-draggers.

EDMO

Posted

they make an AC current hobbs.  Hook that one to the voltage regulator input and it will only run when the engine is running.  My plane originally had a DC hobbs that was hooked into the master but the few times I dumb dumbed it and left the master on it racked up a lot of hours on the meter.  I used the readings  on the tiny tach I installed before I flew it to keep track of actual hours then replaced it with the AC hobbs.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

sweet looking plane too!  Don't worry, Ed is the only one we hassle around here cause of his nose dragger :lmao:

Posted (edited)

sweet looking plane too!  Don't worry, Ed is the only one we hassle around here cause of his nose dragger :lmao:

That's probably because I write too much and I'm too damned old to get pissed off at some junior chainsaw taildragger drivers comments!  :lol: I can fly a TD too - just don't like them as much - and I cant keep a chainsaw running - I have 3 wrecked Kitfoxes to prove that point....:bc:

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

That's a very nice looking Avid!!! Welcome to the group! Bryce

Posted (edited)

That's probably because I write too much and I'm too damned old to get pissed off at some junior chainsaw taildragger drivers comments!  :lol: I can fly a TD too - just don't like them as much - and I cant keep a chainsaw running - I have 3 wrecked Kitfoxes to prove that point....:bc:

EDMO

I meant that evidently others cant keep them running either - That's why I have a Subaru 4-stroker for my new Foxy.      I guess that the ones who are flying the 2-strokes have gotten better educated on maintaining them than the ones who crashed when the engine quit. :BC:

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

EDMO

I meant that evidently others cant keep them running either - That's why I have a Subaru 4-stroker for my new Foxy.      I guess that the ones who are flying the 2-strokes have gotten better educated on maintaining them than the ones who crashed when the engine quit. :BC:

EDMO

seems we had a member on here that wrecked a nice plane with a subie in it when the cool fan stopped turning.. :snack:   I know of sevral other 912 engine outs that ended in wrecked planes or fatalities.  a 4 stroke is not a promise that it will stay running when ya need it most.

But I do know what yer sayin mr.  :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

EDMO

EDMO

seems we had a member on here that wrecked a nice plane with a subie in it when the cool fan stopped turning.. :snack:   I know of sevral other 912 engine outs that ended in wrecked planes or fatalities.  a 4 stroke is not a promise that it will stay running when ya need it most.

I know that Leni - Even the old Lycosaurus and Contisaurus engines have quit, and some radials have dropped a rod and quit - There is no guarantee that the fan will keep turning with any engine - You just got to get educated enough to know your engine and hopefully keep it going.   Relying on the expertise of others is a big help.

The AFF site with all of you to help was not around when I first got the Kitfoxitus about 25 years ago!

Thank you so much, Captain Leni AkFlyer, for starting it, and keeping it going in spite of that Russian hacker!

BTW:   Yearly donations help keep the site going, just as a reminder for the new guys.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

EDMO

EDMO

I know that Leni - Even the old Lycosaurus and Contisaurus engines have quit, and some radials have dropped a rod and quit - There is no guarantee that the fan will keep turning with any engine - You just got to get educated enough to know your engine and hopefully keep it going.   Relying on the expertise of others is a big help.

The AFF site with all of you to help was not around when I first got the Kitfoxitus about 25 years ago!

Thank you so much, Captain Leni AkFlyer, for starting it, and keeping it going in spite of that Russian hacker!

BTW:   Yearly donations help keep the site going, just as a reminder for the new guys.

EdMO

Just hackin on ya mr  :lol:  Gotta make sure I keep yer ole ticker in good working condition if your ever gonna get that bird in the air!

Posted (edited)

EDMO

EDMO

EdMO

Just hackin on ya mr  :lol:  Gotta make sure I keep yer ole ticker in good working condition if your ever gonna get that bird in the air!

Well, We sure as heck sidetracked this post - From a photo of a very pretty Avid to a tach to my "ole ticker" !

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

AKFLYER,  

That sounds like a plan, I will hook the AC hour meter to the two yellow wires going into the rectifier/regulator that come from the AC generator on the 582.  

Thanks

Jon

PS I am glad everyone found a place to communicate.

Posted

AKFLYER,  

That sounds like a plan, I will hook the AC hour meter to the two yellow wires going into the rectifier/regulator that come from the AC generator on the 582.  

Thanks

Jon

PS I am glad everyone found a place to communicate.

Sorry about the sidetrack Jon - Some people think if they stir shit, then I have to smell it - They don't know that my smeller quit working years ago!

:lol:   EDMO