Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EGT Instrument Recommendations?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I will be purchasing a new EGT system very soon and am looking for some feeback.  Removing an old Westach system that I have lost confidence in.  Not sure weather to go analog or digital (pluses and minuses to each I guess).

For analog I am looking at the same system as before (Westach), though am also looking at the Micro 1000.  I use the micro 1000 on my sleds and have had very good luck with them, plus they are temperature compensated. I used to use analog Westac on the sleds but had some reliability issues with them (over time) (plus are not temp compensated, at least the ones I was using).

I am also considering digital options like this one.  Allows for flexibility in limit selection and alarms.  Can also put in both the CHT and EGT on one instrument.

http://thesensorconnection.com/gauges-pyrometers/all-gauges-pyrometers/4-channel-digital-thermocouple-pyrometer-gauge

I am limited by space to the 2 1/4" format.

So... if you had to start from scratch, any suggestions?  Application is a 582.

Larry S.

Posted

Usually people don't run a CHT gauge on a water cooled engine.  Water temp gauge yes.   Do they have that option for this type of instrument?  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback.  Actually most (I think all) the guys in our chapter run CHT as well on their 582's, as they do respond and provide good feedback in engine health.  I have separate analog CHT installed now.  The digital option above is 4 channel and has both EGT and CHT incorporated.  But... sounds like these are just channels, so maybe there is an option for water temp (given the correct TC type and range).

Below is a great article on the topic.

http://www.challengers101.com/ExhaustGasTemp.html

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

Larry,

Just a thought - If this new gizmo, that I know nothing about, will give you both EGT and CHT, maybe you could put a water temp gauge where your CHT or EGT is now?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

This new site gets me a little PO'd, because I think slower than it will let me edit, and you can only edit once.

I wanted to say, that auto water temp gauges are cheap, and you can even get one with the single mount that you can hang anywhere and don't have to use an IP space for it.

I think that someone, (Leni), talked about using his water temp to make sure his engine was warm enough for takeoff?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Interesting article. As if people were not confused enough about EGTs. : ) I don't see much value in CHTs. When I load mine up with the prop you will see it in the water temp. And yes Ed its critical the water temp is up before takeoff or you will find out what a cold seizure is all about. I've been thinking of going to a digital set up but so far what I have has been working. If it ain't broke don't F with it    is a pretty good principle to follow with these planes. Let us know the outcome and what you end up with. The article mentions engine load again. You should pitch your prop for the rpm you want before doing any fine tuning or you will just end up chasing temps around. 

Posted

Interesting article. As if people were not confused enough about EGTs. : ) I don't see much value in CHTs. When I load mine up with the prop you will see it in the water temp. And yes Ed its critical the water temp is up before takeoff or you will find out what a cold seizure is all about. I've been thinking of going to a digital set up but so far what I have has been working. If it ain't broke don't F with it    is a pretty good principle to follow with these planes. Let us know the outcome and what you end up with. The article mentions engine load again. You should pitch your prop for the rpm you want before doing any fine tuning or you will just end up chasing temps around. 

Am I correct in thinking that water temp should be at least 130F before takeoff?

EDMO

Posted

MGL also makes one real similar to that, and one every one who has it that I know of with a two stroke loves it. 

Posted (edited)

I have always liked this look, not sure how well they work, but are made for the 582 one gauge takes care of two egt temps. I would have one of these in my Challenger if it didn't cost so much to replace all the gauges around it, Ya know they should all Match.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/gauges15-08559.php?clickkey=1323747

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

This new site gets me a little PO'd, because I think slower than it will let me edit, and you can only edit once.

I wanted to say, that auto water temp gauges are cheap, and you can even get one with the single mount that you can hang anywhere and don't have to use an IP space for it.

I think that someone, (Leni), talked about using his water temp to make sure his engine was warm enough for takeoff?

EDMO

I looked at the settings and its set for unlimited editing of your own content.  I reset it so let me know if it is working now.  sometimes just moving the cursor over the area the edit button is will make it show up.

:BC:

Posted

I have always liked this look, not sure how well they work, but are made for the 582 one gauge takes care of two egt temps. I would have one of these in my Challenger if it didn't cost so much to replace all the gauges around it, Ya know they should all Match.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/gauges15-08559.php?clickkey=1323747

Very sharp.

Posted

Larry,

Just a thought - If this new gizmo, that I know nothing about, will give you both EGT and CHT, maybe you could put a water temp gauge where your CHT or EGT is now?

EDMO

I do have a water temp gauge now.  Seems to be behaving well.

Posted

Match?  Does that mean I cant mix Harbor Freight and Walmart?

EDMO

Posted

Am I correct in thinking that water temp should be at least 130F before takeoff?

EDMO

150F per the Rotax manual.

Posted (edited)

I bought my kit complete with a 503 Rotax.  The old Skystar substituted a Cylinder head temp gauge for the water temp they supplied with the 582.  Cylinder head temperature is critical on air cooled engines.

Side story.  I attended a Rotax two stroke engine forum at Arlington a couple years ago.  The speaker was Phil Lockwood.  During his talk he asked "What is the minimum Cylinder head temperature needed with a 503 before take off".  I wondered, this must be a trick question, everyone knows that, so stayed quiet.  Everyone else in the crowd did too.  So I figured what the heck and answered, 200 degrees.  He didn't say a word, reached under the table and pulled out a fancy $25 Rotax hat and tossed it to me.

Edited by tcj
2 people like this