Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Catalina

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Supposedly it is complete, and tthe pictures show it finished to upholstery, there are supposed to be a few flaperon/rib tails that need to be redone but nothing I haven't repaired before. If it is true the original builder had a stroke after completion but before getting an airworthiness certificate. and the paint appears to only be in silver. The present owner isn't after money until I show and the price is resonable. It could be a good deal or it could be a waste of time, maybe just need paperwork to put it as a 2 person craft.

Posted

Well Hell, I guess I will just have to go up there and check it out in person!

Posted

Well Hell, I guess I will just have to go up there and check it out in person!

Hey Tom,

The Amphib project is on hold right now, Bob is working on the kitfox III.. I think it is up to silver now and may even have a top coat on it by now.

:BC:

Posted

I just heard of this site from a fellow EEAer and registered today. I am the original owner and builder of the Avid Amphib, N84CH. It was my first homebuilt project and have since done 3 more. It's sad to see how it went downhill from when I sold it as a flying aircraft but I'm glad it's getting TLC and a rebuild from it's new owner. I spent a lot time with that plane fishing in the Mat-Su valley and Talkeetna Mtns. I just looked and found the original construction photos in my garage.

Posted

chosack

Glad to see you aboard.

I talked to you several times about a paper problem I was having, and thank

you for the help with that.

I haven't worked on the Catalina, actually Avid Amphibian, or the Mod III

for most of this year. I'm still short a few pecies I didn't get with the buy.

But it is all up in silver, all metal epoxy primed, ready for top coat.

The same problem most people have, have to make a living to support habbits.

Bob

Posted

chosack

Glad to see you aboard.

I talked to you several times about a paper problem I was having, and thank

you for the help with that.

I haven't worked on the Catalina, actually Avid Amphibian, or the Mod III

for most of this year. I'm still short a few pecies I didn't get with the buy.

But it is all up in silver, all metal epoxy primed, ready for top coat.

The same problem most people have, have to make a living to support habbits.

Bob

Posted (edited)

Quick update on this bird.  I finally pried most of the pieces out of bobs hands and it's in my garage now.  This will be the perfect test bed for the Arctic Cat 800 engine as the exhaust hangs outside the cowling and I can install the stock pipe with no mods other than the engine mount.  I will be flipping the engine to run right side up to eliminate any issues with the power valves I was worried about.  I hope to get some time working on it next hitch home.  For now I am day dreaming about the panel and what goodies I want to put in it.

tmp_5803-20151217_1818392081740601.jpg

tmp_5803-20151217_1818461889353556.jpg

Edited by akflyer

Posted

It looks like you have a few extra parts on the bench there ha

1 person likes this

Posted

Congrats Leni - Cant wait to see this boat fly with your new engine.

Looks like Santa came early...

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I got lots of projects, but this one moved to the top of the list.

EDMO

Well I sold out my half of the 180 to pay the divorce lawyer so I had to replace it with something :lol:  The timing worked out perfect!  :BC:

Posted

I got lots of projects, but this one moved to the top of the list.

EDMO

Well I sold out my half of the 180 to pay the divorce lawyer so I had to replace it with something :lol:  The timing worked out perfect!  :BC:

Well, We all need something to keep us off the streets and out of the saloons!

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I sold out my half of the 180 to pay the divorce lawyer so I had to replace it with something 

Sorry to hear that, but honestly that 180 was going to be a serious money pit...

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I sold out my half of the 180 to pay the divorce lawyer so I had to replace it with something 

Sorry to hear that, but honestly that 180 was going to be a serious money pit...

except the money was all done being spent and the plane is ready for paint and assembly now lol :bc:

Posted

Sandals in Soldotna in December...? That's priceless!

1 person likes this

Posted

Sandals in Soldotna in December...? That's priceless!

My kid in the garage after we got it unloaded :lol:

Posted

Need some help guys.

Can someone with one of these birds let me know what size the tubing is for the flaperon brace strut that goes to the fuse with the hiem joint on the end?  I am looking for diameter and length.

Also needed is a hardware list if anyone has one that shows how many of what size rivets, bolts, nuts washers etc are needed.

Thanks guys

Posted

Here yah go...

20160113_173456.jpg

20160113_173506.jpg

20160113_173653.jpg

20160113_173750.jpg

20160113_173857.jpg

20160113_173936.jpg

Posted

Your awesome!   Thank you sir.  I will get tubing ordered up one more question.  That is the hole diameter in the heim joint end (the bolt hole)?  or is there a part number on that joint?

Posted

It's a 1/4 - 1/4 female hime joint.  There's  a fine thread 1/4 bolt welded to the end of the support tube.  I'll see if I can dig up a part number for the hime on spruce.

Luke

1 person likes this

Posted

I can find it on spruce, just needed the measurements  thank you again sir!

Posted

AF-41 = PFX-4 @ http://rodendsupply.com looks like it'd take it's place.  I need a bunch of rod ends and other small parts for my project so I'v been working on taking avid part - build numbers and trying to convert them to standard part numbers.

Posted

in going thought the book I have I found the AN hardware packing list.  This will make it easy for me to put in an order to spruce and have parts waiting for me when I get home

amphibian an hardware list.pdf

Posted

in going thought the book I have I found the AN hardware packing list.  This will make it easy for me to put in an order to spruce and have parts waiting for me when I get home

amphibian an hardware list.pdf

Well it doesn't get much easier than that for figuring out hardware!! Thanks for posting it!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Not much new to post.  I did build a cradle for the plane on roller wheels so I can roll it around the garage and work on it easier.  The new hardware kit and tubing has been ordered so I can get to bolting parts back together when I get home this hitch.  Hope to get the sponsons sealed up and reinstalled when I get home and get the gear and hydrolic brakes hooked up and functioning.  I could get really lucky and shoot some top coat on it too!

Now to decide what to do with the canopy.  I really like the look of Dons with the more forward rake to the windscreen.  I think I will do that one for sure and probably the radiator mod so its not hanging out the side looking bulky and draggy.

Posted

I agree on the rake to the windshield on Don's airplane. Just looks a bit more faired out that way. Personally if I was doing it I'd make just a small fiberglass skirt around it so I could seal it up a little better from water. Like you said, it wouldn't be too much fun to open it up and find a 50 pound block of ice on your seat. 

1 person likes this