Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WORRY-FREE GAS CAPS AND PITOT TUBES

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have seen gas caps and pitot tubes with the end flared and a screen soldered over the end, screens fastened on with band clamps, rubber caps put over the end of them when parked, and the owners forgot to remove them before taking off which leads to some unforeseen conclusions.

Here is a little gizmo that keeps the bugs and rain out of your cap tubes and your pitot tubes, and should be worry free as long as it pivots freely and opens up when the air pushes against the little paddle on top, and closes automaticly when there is no air blowing over it.

Just one way of doing it.  Sorry for the fuzzy photos - got to check camera.   EDMO 

IMG_1618.JPG

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

good idea Ed.

AS as 'em

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/ptubeprotector.php?clickkey=7405

However, the 1 review said they didn't function well. Anyone know of something else?

These function fine - They are delicate tho - guess if you are too rough with them they may not pivot easily - it don't take much wind to open them.   The one you showed in Spruce is different than these ???  Maybe try Wicks?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I'm looking at your pics again and think I get it.  Made w/aligator clips, cotter pins and adhesive?

Posted

I'm looking at your pics again and think I get it.  Made w/aligator clips, cotter pins and adhesive?

I need to put batteries in my camera and get a better photo - this is factory made - no adhesive - just a small screw tightening clamp to tube.

EDMO

Posted

I've had one of these on my plane since I acquired it. It stuck closed once. I just give it a little flip during the preflight to check it. A stiff breeze will open it. 

Posted

I have them on the pitot, but not the fuel caps on the yellow plane.  They were on all 3 of the mangy fox. 

For or me the pitot cap has stuck a couple of times, but as Joey says just give it a little flip on the walk around and it will be fine. 

Posted

Worked well on my C172 pitot tube, but like others it needed a quick flip on preflight to make sure it was free moving.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know if I'd use them on fuel tank pitots, because abquicknflip may be hard to reach and quickly forgotten.  If I really felt the need to cover the fuel pitots, I'd use a streamer cap. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I have the Kind Ed has.  I still have the box they came in and checked the part number at Spruce and it comes up with the heavy duty ones shown in his Spruce link.  I like the looks of those better but they are high dollar items.  I think I paid about $1.50 each 10 years ago.  I trailer my kitfox for each flight so didn't put one on the pitot tube.  My pitot cover is a length of 1/2 inch climbing webbing with the end melted shut.  I left a wing tank fuel cap off one time so make it a habit to reach up and tighten the cap on my preflight walk around.  I guess I should give the flapper a flip too.

Pitot tube cover2.jpg

Pitot tube cover1.jpg

Edited by tcj

Posted (edited)

Spendy lil buggers.  My penny tech streamers have been working fine in the meanwhile.  But, maybe another one of those lil winter boredom-blues projects to fiddle with my scrap aluminum.

Of course the real value in EDMO's thread/posting was to force him to sort out his "worry-free" camera -:)  Nicely done sir.

Edited by allonsye
content

Posted

Bright orange surveyors streamer, some electrical tape and a short piece of old fuel line works great!

1 person likes this