Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Whitman Tailwind

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Something about the lines of a Tailwind have always caught my eye. Kind of like the Predecessor to the RV in sorts. Just saw one for one sale today for $12,500 with no engine due to it making metal. Was set up for a 235 and just flew to Osh this year. Wasn't a basketcase by any means. A person could have an airplane with the speed or an early Mooney for 20 grand. I think if I ever find myself in a position for a second airplane to travel in I would have to look pretty seriously at one. The only thing I didn't like in the one I sat in was the tank right in front of you. Anyone here ever flown one or tinkered with one?

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

We have a wittman and a neysmith?couger flying here as micro lights !(under600kg)Very impressive performance and a lot of airplane for the dollar nz $30.000 is the figure I heard! 

Posted

Can't agree with you more the lines of a tailwind are sweet I would love to have one someday but first I better finish my kitfox then maybe get back to working on my sonex that I started 5 years ago.

Posted (edited)

Something about the lines of a Tailwind have always caught my eye. Kind of like the Predecessor to the RV in sorts. Just saw one for one sale today for $12,500 with no engine due to it making metal. Was set up for a 235 and just flew to Osh this year. Wasn't a basketcase by any means. A person could have an airplane with the speed or an early Mooney for 20 grand. I think if I ever find myself in a position for a second airplane to travel in I would have to look pretty seriously at one. The only thing I didn't like in the one I sat in was the tank right in front of you. Anyone here ever flown one or tinkered with one?

Steve, the guy who owns Whirlwind Props (both companies) had an article about his in either KP or SA a while back.  I asked him about his bushings and he shared info with me about them.  I don't know how the Wittman "Buttercup", an earlier design compares, but think now someone has put this back on the market as a kit.  I just got new KP mag and haven't checked the listings for plans or kits yet.  There was a Tailwind project for sale not long ago.

EDMO

I see that Spruce sells the kit for Wittman W10 Tailwind - Havent found who is selling Buttercup kits.

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I think the guy is Earl Luce or something like that I looked into one of those a few years back Steve had a lot of cool ideas with that plane.I think with a better gear on it, it would be a great plane.

Posted

Earl Luce lives in my neck of the woods. He reverse engineered his LuceAire Buttercup from Steve Wittman's original in the EAA museum at Pioneer Airport's Wittman Hanger. Neat plane with the adjustable leading edge wing. EAA Sport Aviation article

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

WOW - 145 mph on a C-85!  We need Buttercup wings on our slow AvidFoxes!  I would bet that it don't slow down as quickly as our wings tho...

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I just talked to Jim Raeder the other day and he's flying Tailwind around these days.

Posted

Yeah, Dean told me that Jim replaced his Magnum with a tailwind because he travels a lot by plane and the tailwind goes 50% faster on the same fuel. I'm new to tailwinds and buttercups but now that I am exposed, I think they look just awesome. Especially the buttercup with the combo slat/flap deployment setup. More cool stuff to learn about!

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, Dean told me that Jim replaced his Magnum with a tailwind because he travels a lot by plane and the tailwind goes 50% faster on the same fuel. I'm new to tailwinds and buttercups but now that I am exposed, I think they look just awesome. Especially the buttercup with the combo slat/flap deployment setup. More cool stuff to learn about!

Steve Wittman had some really good ideas on getting more speed from his planes, but I would question his rod landing gear for any rough use - They look like they are more suited to concrete landings.  I am using his tube-in-a-tube aileron controls to put separate flaps on Foxy.

EDMO