Header tank vent line and Fuel level sight gauge tubing

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I think most who have done their research have moved to Gates Barricade Low Permeation Fuel Line Hose for Carburetors. Every so often the question of "what's the best" header tank vent line hose and fuel level sight tubing to use. Obviously, new products come along, but here's what the manufacturer of my SLSA requires today. Hope it's helpful.

For header tank vent line: Tygon F-4040-A

008_(2).thumb.JPG.390a449474d8f3bf56d990

For wing fuel tank sight level tubes: Tygon LP1500

004_(3).thumb.JPG.9d36fc856e6b54c80a9123

1 person likes this

Posted

I have been using the yellow tygon for years in my gas powered models airplanes and as for replacement fuel lines on lawn mowers, yard equiptment tractor etc.  I have never had a leak or split with it. 

:BC:

Posted

Good stuff. I have always used the blue line that CPS sells. Hopefully you don't run into too many walls with the SLSA thing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Couple follow ups...

Just be aware that not all yellow fuel hose is Tygon® F-4040-A. You really need to verify via the outer markings. One other yellow fuel hose that is the exact equivalent in formulation and performance to Tygon® F-4040-A is Excelon PVC Fuel & Lubricant Tubing.

Also, while they are marketed as different products, it seems that the terms 'Tygon®' and 'Tygothane®' are often used interchangeably. Again, there are different formulations of clear 'Tygothane®' tubing and, of course, they differ in recommended application. For the last sight tube replacement in my KF4, I used clear Tygothane® Ultra tubing, and the clarity and embrittlement with E-10 exposure suggested it realistically was still an annual replacement item. Hopefully, the Tygothane® LP1500 will fare better.

1 person likes this

Posted

1) Would you suggest the yellow Tygon 4040 be an anual replacement as well?

2) Im replacing ALL of my uel lines, how many feet do I need.

3) Did you shop it out? Do mind sharing an Internet link to the cheapest supplier if you have it handy.  It'd help us lazy folks out.  

Posted (edited)

1) Would you suggest the yellow Tygon 4040 be an anual replacement as well?

2) Im replacing ALL of my uel lines, how many feet do I need.

3) Did you shop it out? Do mind sharing an Internet link to the cheapest supplier if you have it handy.  It'd help us lazy folks out.  

1) I replace all fuel lines if they've been on the plane over a year.  This includes clamps, ties, etc.  IN addition to the lines the mechanical aspects of the fuel delivery system need the annual attention.  The line itself will probably "last" a lot longer, but the mechanical connections, rubs, etc are where the wear that will cause a failure is happening.

3)  I buy only pulse line (7/16" OD X 1/4" ID) and prefer clear line over yellow or other colors.  The color, yellow, blue, red, makes little difference in the quality of the line as long as its the tygon/tygothane.  I buy from this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121370316373?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

12-26-2015 8-13-59 PM.jpg

Edited by Knuckledragger