Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nice Kitfox

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Wonder what engine he has in the KF5 - Looks like a bump cowl - surely not a 2-stroke in a 1500 gw plane!

EDMO

Posted

This plane has been discussed elsewhere.  Link 1  Link 2

The plane has an 80 hp Rotax 912.  I believe that the stated $4-7k to get it flying again is fairly optimistic.

Posted (edited)

Since when is a crash a "hard landing"?  I imagine once you tore into it, saw the bent pieces, broken parts, and the need to know that it was fixed right, it would turn into quite a pile and just a guess but most likely the reason why the original owner of 18 years just wants it gone rather than consider rebuilding. Been a while but seems like it would cost close to 4 grand just to recover it before you even started replacing the bent parts. New gear, engine tear down, new wings, new prop...not really sure if that's possible on a 4K budget is it? I hope it finds a new home but it's sure not going to be a quick patch and back into the air like some people who have expressed interest in it think.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36501413&nid=148&title=2-northern-utah-men-uninjured-in-emery-county-crash-landing

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

I believe $10 - 12K would be more realistic - and I don't have a clue about the 912 - I might stick a used C-85, O-200 or a Subaru in it instead.

Still, that might not be too bad for a plane that sells for $35K to $50K....

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It had a GSC wood prop on it.  Pretty flimsy compared to the engine.  A gearbox inspection and crank inspection (can be done without tearing down the engine) are pretty straight forward and inexpensive.  If the inspections are okay, with no major parts needed, they should be less than $1000.  I just spent last weekend at an advance 912 training class.  Why ruin a great plane with a boat anchor of an engine?

Having just done a Poly Fiber cover job on the Mangy, I would estimate you will have close to $5k for a decent recover job on this plane.

Say you buy the wreck for $8k.  Put $20k into a full rebuild (worst case).  You now have a Kitfox model V for less than $30k!  Just insert elbow grease (lots of it).  Good deal for the right person.

Posted

Have at it guys,  I won't be bidding against you right now.  Way to many projects in front of me to even thing about any more.  I did manage to get the second wing ready for the spray gun finally.  Next step is cover the fuselage.  Probably can't paint till spring though when it warms up.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I paid out about $2K for fuselage welding on my Foxy - If the doctors would let me weld, I probably wouldn't have over $200 for the tubing.  Luckily, the wing spars were OK and just a couple of ribs and rib ends were replaced.  My biggest amount of time has been spent modifying the wings twice to extend leading edge and change to modified Riblett (KF4) ribs.

I think the Kitfox 3 I just bought could be rebuilt for about the same amount - just got to add an engine and prop.  I didn't have either mounted when Foxy got wrecked.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

80hp in a model V here in the Mountain West is a little pathetic, right?  I suppose you could get the zipper big bore to boost the high altitude performance.

I'm just excited there is a Kitfox project within 10 hours of my location!  But that not reason enough to wrecklessly spend money.  Maybe if he comes down to $5k or so, then I can pick up the engine and avionics for another airframe. 

Posted

There's a new 4 up on barnstormers today for $29K. The one for $47.5 is local to me and the guy I bought my Kitfox gear from. Most amazing one I've ever seen but afraid it's another case where he went way overboard on the build and is going to take a huge loss if he ever sells it. 

Posted

80 hp in a light-built Model V can perform just fine.  

A Model V can still be kept under 700# and perform very, very well, especially with a pilot who knows and understands his craft.

Add in a Zipper and all bets are off...

Posted

Under 700#?  Wow, I thought they started at 750 if you were lucky.  I will have to add the model V to my short list.

Posted (edited)

I wonder what the Kitfox Lite Squared empty weight is - going to look at my Kitfox book and see if ew is listed.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Larry, you are correct, as usual, the Kitfox 5, 1400-912 is 700 empty weight.   The 4/Lite squared 912 is 600, and the 912S is 625 ew, same as Classic 4.   The lite squared is only lighter with the 503 engine with less horsepower.

I would have a 912 instead of my "boat anchor" Subaru, but at the time I started building, the 912 was $20K and the Soob with reduction unit was about $2K.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Under 700#?  Wow, I thought they started at 750 if you were lucky.  I will have to add the model V to my short list.

I'd say most are 800# +.  But look how they are built:  IFR panels, autopilot, air, tilt, cruise, power windows and Dolby surround...

Keep it real and 700 should be doable.   My yellow plane is 650, and I am hoping for 675 for the Mangy.  

Posted

I called the seller, and now I'm running the numbers on a new set of wings, gear, covering, engine inspection, prop, and misc. other stuff.  This might be for me if he's flexible on the price.  Both wings are shot as well as the struts. 

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if the KF-VII wing kit includes the lift struts?

-Joshua

Posted

I'd say most are 800# +.  But look how they are built:  IFR panels, autopilot, air, tilt, cruise, power windows and Dolby surround...

Keep it real and 700 should be doable.   My yellow plane is 650, and I am hoping for 675 for the Mangy.  

You're right.  I don't want more than the most basic panel to fly day VFR, I'd be willing to fly naked if I thought it would improve performance! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I called the seller, and now I'm running the numbers on a new set of wings, gear, covering, engine inspection, prop, and misc. other stuff.  This might be for me if he's flexible on the price.  Both wings are shot as well as the struts. 

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if the KF-VII wing kit includes the lift struts?

-Joshua

I would bet that the $5000+ wing kit does not include the struts, tanks or flaperons, and maybe not the tips either.

Kitfox flaperons are $1000+, and I don't know what struts are.  I think tanks are $440+ and tips are $3-400 depending.

I've got all of them for sale - just need small repairs and recovering, and come to Missouri.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

-Joshua

I would bet that the $5000+ wing kit does not include the struts, tanks or flaperons, and maybe not the tips either.

I've got all of them for sale - just need small repairs and recovering, and come to Missouri.

EDMO

Guess I should add, that my wings are the STOL undercambered type for Kitfox 3, but they will fit the 5.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

-Joshua

Kitfox flaperons are $1000+, and I don't know what struts are.  I think tanks are $440+ and tips are $3-400 depending.

EDMO

I added some to this with edit - Adding that my wings are STOL KF3, and will fit KF5.

EDMO

Posted

Ed, no they won't.  

The spar spacing may be the same but the control of the flapperons is totally different and not compatible.  Not to mention they are much lighter wings than the 4-7SS use and he will be limited to the 950 or 1050 of your 3.

Posted (edited)

Ed, no they won't.  

The spar spacing may be the same but the control of the flapperons is totally different and not compatible.  Not to mention they are much lighter wings than the 4-7SS use and he will be limited to the 950 or 1050 of your 3.

I cant argue about the difference in flaperon hangers, although the earlier wings can be changed to use the KF4 and later hangers.

How are the 3 wings lighter than the 4 or 5?  They still use the same .065 wall spars and inserts, and same rib spacing - the struts and fuselage parts got thicker on the 5, but the strut attachment point on the 3 is the same spacing as the 4 and 5 wings.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Not the same size or located inserts. Strut attachment brackets are different. Flapperon hangars and ribs are totally different, not compatible with the V control system.

Putting 85 mph wings on a 120 mph airplane is very, very ill advised.

Do do what you want but this is a ludicrous idea.  I'll have nothing else to say about it. 

Posted (edited)

The Avid HH/Airdale/Magnum .083 wall spar wings are all stronger than Kitfox wings.  I would build them using the better, cheaper inserts from Just Aircraft if I wanted the best wings for a Kitfox with over 1200 GW.

Of course, TKF would not approve....

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Talked to John at Kitfox, $5500 wings are a complete set with struts, tips, and tanks.