Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Liability Insurance

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Any suggestions on carriers for Liability Insurance?  In the past I have used First Flight Insurance (not sure how good they are, but the price was competitive).  Would like to see what others are using and feedback if able?

I assume hull insurance would be real high if carried, would that be correct (especially in the first 40 hours)?

Larry S.

Posted

EAA Insurance brokerage has treated me very well.  I am through Falcon insurance with them. 

866-647-4322

Posted

I was using falcon until I got a quote from Facer Insurance in Rantoul iL,  they were half the price for better coverage.

Posted

I was with AOPA for a few years, this year Falcon (EAA) was half the cost of AOPA so thats where I am now 

Posted

The takeaway from this is to be diligent, just like you are with your auto or home insurance.  Shop them around every once in a while to keep everybody honest.

EAA/Falcon has kept my business thus far.  Your mileage may vary.

Posted

I got several quotes through different brokerages and they all came back to Falcon so I ended up going with Falcon through EAA.

My quote from Falcon was as follows:

$1,382 for ground and flight ($30k agreed value)

$603 aircraft liability ($1,000,000) and medical expense ($20,000)

$1,985 total policy premium.

A stipulation is that I must be under direct CFI supervision on all flights as a student pilot. Must receive 10 hours of dual flight instruction to include 10 full stop landings and obtain TW endorsement in make and model prior to solo.

As an interesting side note, if the aircraft had any other engine than a 912 they were not interested in insuring me and to bind the insurance the make and model of the installed engine in the aircraft must be documented and approved by the underwriter.  They will not insure auto engines.  I wonder if a 582 would count as an aircraft engine to them?

Posted (edited)

I use Avemco and get a pretty good rate on my avid flyer.. For $300,000 liability and $15,000 hull about thousand dollars a year. The policy required me to get a tail wheel familiarization with an IP familiar with the type, or with the builder. I have about 7500 flight hours which probably helped keep my rate down.

Edited by nlappos

Posted

I use Avemco and get a pretty good rate on my avid flyer.. For $300,000 liability and $15,000 hull about thousand dollars a year. The policy required me to get a tail wheel familiarization with an IP familiar with the type, or with the builder. I have about 7500 flight hours which probably helped keep my rate down.

A Coast-to-Coast flight in your bird - You should be about qualified as a taildragger pilot, IMO - So simple, compared to those 5-control Whirlythings you have so many hours in as a test pilot!

EdMO

Posted

Interesting that they will only insure a max takeoff weight of 1150 or less.  My 1200 wouldn't work.

Posted

Thanks All.  Will check them out. As a reference, First Flight has liability 1M at $461 a year.

http://www.firstflightinsurance.com/Site/375021952/airsports.asp

CAVEAT EMPTOR  -  They're site specifically states:

"3rd Party Recreational Member Liability provides coverage to protect against legal liability resulting from damage to the property of others or injury to others.  No passenger liability or aircraft physical damage coverage is available.  Coverage is written on a manuscript aviation form.  The policy is designed for recreational use, for approved or compliant aircraft and only available to members of the United States Ultralight Association. "

If you shop around you can get much for coverage for the same money.  Eg. 5k in med and pax is covered.

Check:

• Travers
  • Global Aerospace
  • Aviation Insurance Resources

All will require you to be checked out and as much as 5hrs dual in type.

Posted

Anybody use Butler-Brown Aviation Insurance?