Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon behavior in a stall

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Going to start slow flight checks soon and stalls.  Is there any flaperon authority on these birds during a stall, or do they behave like a traditional aileron?

Posted

My flaperons still are working after the plane "stalls" but it isn't much of a stall, the nose drops and it starts flying again.  The rudder is your friend in the slow, stall area of flight in these little planes. Takeoff and approach stalls are still threats as accented by the KF that is being discussed in another thread which stalled on approach at Mexician Mountain, Utah. Paul

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

By their nature, the flapperons are in the high pressure air below and behind the wing making them very effective well into the stall. 

Flapperon inversion can happen when the flapperon itself stalls before the wing.  This creates control reversal.  It happens when there is too much "flap" action and the downward moving flapperon no longer lifts the heavy wing, yet still adds considerable drag. 

The undercambered wing with flat bottom flapperons are more prone to this phenomenon.  The F7-a differential links help by limiting the downward movement of the flapperon.

Like Paul said, Rudder is always your friend.  I like to tell people this plane will do exactly what you tell it to do.  Very quickly.  Tell it to do something stupid and it will. Very quickly.  Tell it to recover and it will do that, too.  As long as you haven't found the ground yet. 

Take her her up a couple thousand feet and explore the slow side of the envelope. You'll get the feel of it pretty quickly. 

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted

Lamest stall characteristics ever.....that's a very good thing. Dean Wilson once told me if I ever inadvertently fly into IMC pull the power to idle and put the stick in your lap and keep the ball centered and you will not end up upside down and hopefully come out the bottom before you hit the ground. 

3 people like this

Posted

I couldn't get the nose to drop on my Classic 4 until after I installed a shelf paper gap seal on the elevator/horizontal stab.  Power off with stick back it just continued a nose high descending mush.  All controls remained effective.

If you try a power on stall be ready for a very high angle of attack. 

Posted (edited)

I couldn't get the nose to drop on my Classic 4 until after I installed a shelf paper gap seal on the elevator/horizontal stab.  

If you try a power on stall be ready for a very high angle of attack. 

Tape on the gap and VGs on the tail made a considerable difference on mine. Power On stalls are pretty ridiculous. I can about do a tail slide. If you want to practice those get into a steep climb and then chop the power to simulate a departure engine failure. Dump the nose instantly or you are in a deep stall. I personally know two guys killed in a departure stall after an engine failure. 

This guy was hangared right across from me. He went straight in. The other one was in an older 582 powered Rans S6. Same outcome.

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted

Lamest stall characteristics ever.....that's a very good thing. Dean Wilson once told me if I ever inadvertently fly into IMC pull the power to idle and put the stick in your lap and keep the ball centered and you will not end up upside down and hopefully come out the bottom before you hit the ground. 

This is one of those very useful pearls, likely the best I've heard on any of the aviation forums in quite some time.  Thanks for sharing it Joey.

Posted

Thanks All.  I have the oversized elevator so anticipate I may see more of a stall behavior but wont push an insane angle of attack (should it try to go there).  Undercamber wing as well.

Posted (edited)

Guys,

What is 'IMC'?

FWIW, my Mark 4 extended speedwing simply breaks and drops a few degrees and starts flying again.  Power on stalls yield the aforementioned descending mush.

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

Guys,

What is 'IMC'?

Instrument Meteorological Conditions....In the clouds with no visual reference to the horizon. A recipe to kill yourself without the proper equipment and training.

Posted

IMC = I May Crash

4 people like this

Posted

Or IFR...... I Follow Roads

1 person likes this