Starter Solenoid for a 582

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I think I remember a post where someone had recommended a good replacement for the ROTAX 582 solenoid.  Maybe NAPA?  Anyone recall this one?

Posted

I started a thread some time ago on what I thought was a bad solenoid on my 912. It was a Denso brand, I'm sure a search on that word here would bring it up. No idea if you can use the same but I do have the old takeout which ended up being fine.

Posted

Imo, there's nothing real rocket science about the solinoids.  NAPA should be able to help you find one that will work. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I always buy Ford...;)

Posted

I always buy Ford...;)

Years ago Ford had a positive ground system - I remember in the 1970's Ford had several wiring systems burn up in the pickups - I have 3 Fords parked in my driveway - and I retired from Chrysler!

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Imo, there's nothing real rocket science about the solinoids.  NAPA should be able to help you find one that will work. 

You can find solenoids everywhere.  They are just big remotely operated switches. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=starter+relay&_vxp=mtr&_osacat=33566&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xstarter+solonoid.TRS0&_nkw=starter+solonoid&_sacat=33566

Do add a simple diode between the "S" terminal and ground to absorb voltage spikes.  Do mount it upside down allowing gravity to assist magnet in closing it.

I picked up diodes at Radio Shack  for a few bucks --  3amp/200PIV.

Sample install pics of diode install:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aircraft+solonoid+diode+installation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Edited by allonsye

Posted

My part number for my solenoid shows its from a lawnmower. I have zero starting issues and the replacement is $15.00

Posted

I found one that the Ford Ranger uses and it always worked great on the 2 strokes and I now have one on my Jabiru, And have a diode in the mix, Makes your starter switch last longer,