MkIV HH STOL Kit on Barnstormers, Whatcha Think?

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1072340_Avid+Mk+IV+Kit+Heavy+Hauler+.html

Any thoughts on this kit?  I really would like a KF3 or KF4, but this appears to be the equivalent of a KF4 with KF3 wings.  

Where can I find a 912 mount for this aircraft?

Where can I find a windshield?

The gentleman selling says the new tanks are ethanol resistant, and from the pictures they show wheels/tires included.  No fabric.  Anything else I should be concerned about?  I don't think its worth $9100, but it says OBO and he clearly mentioned "make me on offer" on the phone.  

Any input greatly appreciated.

-Joshua 

Edited by nemesisnxt

Posted (edited)

The original windsheilds supplied with the kits were just a flat piece of Lexan that you cut and formed, drilled and riveted/bolted on.  Someone makes pre-formed WS for the Kitfoxes - guess they might also make Avid ?

That don't seem like a bad price to start bargaining on - Avid HH wings are stronger than Kitfox IMO, and the stretch is very desirable.   Try pricing a Classic 4 kit from Kitfox and you will get a better picture of this pricing.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

The original windsheilds supplied with the kits were just a flat piece of Lexan that you cut and formed, drilled and riveted/bolted on.  Someone makes pre-formed WS for the Kitfoxes - guess they might also make Avid ?

That don't seem like a bad price to start bargaining on - Avid HH wings are stronger than Kitfox IMO, and the stretch is very desirable.   Try pricing a Classic 4 kit from Kitfox and you will get a better picture of this pricing.

EDMO

This site will only let you edit once - I wanted to add, that with both tri-gear and tail-gear, that makes this kit more sellable in the future.   The stretch is really great for adding the 912...

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

LP Aeroplastics makes a molded windshield for the Kitfox.  The Model IV windshield fits the C and mark IV Avids just fine as well.

Unfortunately, a new motor mount will have you waiting on Brett McKinney at Airdale.  Not to mention, his engine mount sux.  It doesn't fit well from what I've seen from two of them.  Both required extensive reworking in order to make them workable.

I may get the flame for this, but:  There is little to compare with the Avid Mark IV versus the Kitfox Model IV.  The Kitfox IV is a bigger cabin than the Avid, no question.  Not really in width, but in leg and foot room for sure.  The wing, flapperon and control system is defiantly next generation also.  With the introduction of the model IV, Kitfox eclipsed Avid and Avid never recovered.  The Mark V/Pursang/Airdale airframe might have allowed a come-back, but the company(s) had disintegrated by then.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm 6' 210lb, my dad is 6'2" 220lb so cabin space is pretty important. 

I've seen KF4 projects (not very often though) in similar condition for similar price.  Maybe I'll just continue waiting patiently for the KF4 that I envision. 

-Joshua

Posted

Kitfox 4 is 2" taller from floor boards to ceiling than the Avid MK IV.  If the fuselage is not covered, it's fairly simple to make either plane wider.  I used 7' of 1/2" tubing on each side to make my Avid MK IV 3 1/2" wider.  I'm on my laptop, and have the pics of how I did it on my other PC, but I have posted the pics on this site a while back..  Don't remember the thread topic off hand now though.   Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

It is a great buy, but I'm about $5k short right now and on the other side of the country.  I'm also more interested in a project, looking forward to a build.

Edited by nemesisnxt

Posted

Greg - did that engine suffer a prop strike or was it the other one?

Posted

No.  That particular engine and prop came from a model 5 KF at my airport.  The owner decided to upgrade to a 100hp and sold Tom the old engine.

I flew the plane when it was configured as a lite squared with a 503.  That plane is built very light and should be a real performer with that engine.

It just wasn't configured the way I would want it and it would have been too much time, effort, and expense to get it there.

I looked at the plane when he was changing the engine from the 503 to the 912 but haven't seen or flown it since then.

Posted

I was wondering why the price was so low on that one.

Joshua these Avid kits floating around could be build into an amazing airplane but you have to ask yourself a serious question. How much fab work can I do with ZERO factory support? There's a reason there are so many of these kits hiding in barns around the country and are now popping up for sale around the country. These are all 20 years old BTW. If you have access to the right tools and have the skills to fab and make parts I would haggle a price and gobble one of these up in a hurry if I was after a project. It's not going to be straight forward process like a lot of the newer kits are for sure. I am not trying to discourage you. A Kitfox 4 even in kit form is going to fetch a lot more money BUT...you can call up Kitfox if you have questions and parts and support are still readily available....all at a price of course.

2 people like this

Posted

That is a shame too. I was kind of wanting to do a new Airdale as soon as I get my shop built.

Posted

It is a great buy, but I'm about $5k short right now and on the other side of the country.  I'm also more interested in a project, looking forward to a build.

That is a project Joshua.  An entire new fuel system including tanks.  Some sort of panel that will work with all the restricted airspace around here,  and would you like the more modern spring gear?  A few thousand here and a few thousand there....pretty soon you're talking about real money. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That is a project Joshua.  An entire new fuel system including tanks.  Some sort of panel that will work with all the restricted airspace around here,  and would you like the more modern spring gear?  A few thousand here and a few thousand there....pretty soon you're talking about real money. 

Yes, yes, and yes.  You're right.  If that Fox were near and could talk him down to $15k I would probably borrow some money from myself (I know that sounds weird, but everything is allocated/ear marked) and go buy it.  I think I could rebuild it into my dream Fox for another $10k or less and a year or two of work.  Not bad.

I think its good practice for us to discuss such scenarios.  It will help to identify a good deal, and hopefully prevent a bad purchase, or at least minimize it.

Thanks for all the input!

-Joshua

Edited by nemesisnxt

Posted

I think it would be a good buy for the right person.  If you have your own grass strip that you just want to buzz around I don't think you will find a 912 powered one for less that will do that.  I was looking for one that had more options that I could do some cross country flights with.  By the time I added up everything that I would have to get done to it to get it to my liking I could have just went out and bought something that was done.  Which I did.  And I'm still finding it very easy to dump more money into it.