Model C ?

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Edmo,

no, those are not Swiss mufflers. One of the "secret" of the high power of the Simonini Victor 2  engine is that it has tuned exhaust pipe, one for each cylinder. They are rather bulky as you can see but with 92 HP from a 2 stroke engine consuming 30% less that a 65 HP ROTAX it is something that is easy to live with... 

Read more about the Simonini Victor 2 on my blog...

Getting off topic here --

Fred -

Does the Simonini have either an auto or manual mixture control?  With the outstanding fuel burn #'s you're reporting I would imagine yes.  For comparison sake, I heard that Joey is reporting somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5 USGPH in cruise flight with his HACman equipped 582 for comparison sake in his "C".

Edited by allonsye

Posted (edited)

Nope, straight bing carburettors, just like on my old 532, pre mixed fule, no leaning or mixture control. But honestly, it is not my fuel consumption that is outstandingly low but 532/582 that is outstandingly high...  I consume like a 912 (but get 10 hp more and less dead weight...). 

Edited by FredStork

Posted (edited)

Nope, straight bing carburettors, just like on my old 532, pre mixed fule, no leaning or mixture control. But honestly, it is not my fuel consumption that is outstandingly low but 532/582 that is outstandingly high...  I consume like a 912 (but get 10 hp more and less dead weight...). 

Your aircraft is a beautiful piece Fred.  I'll consider the Siminonni after I wear out my gray 582 absolutely. btw your blog is outstanding, I've enjoyed your videos and adopted a few tips.  Je te envoi des salutations (la francais et tres cher - ma mer etait Quebecois).

Paul

Edited by allonsye
1 person likes this

Posted

My Avid is flying !! 

All pappers is done ,

now i will start to mod the skis , 

fiberglass skis , made to put the wheels in a (Box) and straps over , i going to take the wheel off , and make a pod to put the axel thro

any good ideas ? To tho mod ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm not telling you to not use the fiberglass skis, but will throw my design out there anyways.  I've made at least 6 sets like this over the years.  Sides are aluminum angel 1 1/4" x  5" x 1/8" thick.  Pedistal is 2 1/2" aluminum tube.  Top is half of 2 1/2" tube cut to make it into a channel.  Bottom is 3/16" UHMW.  It worked for me, and they aren't very heavy.  I did put a runner on the bottom that was about 1 1/4" wide by 24" long made from 1/4" UHMW.  That helps a lot with turning if the snow is packed.   Glad you got the plane where you can fly it now.  Looks nice!   JImChuk

new skis 001.jpg

new skis 002.jpg

new skis 003.jpg

new skis 004.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

How long and wide are your skis ?

wher is the wheel axel placed ?

Posted

I've made the skis between 10" and 12" wide.  For length, I made them so that a 5' long piece of plastic would do the bottom.  I bought 10' long plastic sheet, so that's why they are that length.  I think the axel is about 8" or 9" off the ground.  I was going with about the same height as the wheel axel would be.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Fred, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed your you-tube videos flying around France!  In one there was a glimpse of your engine.  I wondered what it was!

Posted

Fred, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed your you-tube videos flying around France!  In one there was a glimpse of your engine.  I wondered what it was!

Hi Turbo!

Nice to hear feedback on the films - you can only guess how much I enjoy doing them... Not sure if your message is a question or a "now I know" but I assume the latter and that you have seen the blog http://avidsimonini.blogspot.fr as well about my Simonini Victor 2. Interesting evolution is that Simonini no longer sell the model I have, i.e the one with "only" 92 hp, the entry level is now 100 hp for the weight and cost of a 582 but with the consumption of a 80hp 912... For my longer trips the 20 kg difference is really useful so I can bring all my stuff - and 2 stroke oil for the entire journey (joke on me...)