Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do your tanks burn evenly?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

My left tank appears to be burning fuel faster than my right. If anything I would think it would be the other way around. I'm going to test it one more time now that I know I have the exact same amount in each tank. I'm wondering if maybe my elbow at the tank outlet is plugged up on the right side.

Posted

Check the right side cap vent tube for obstruction ie. bug remains? Blowing thru the vent tubes when the caps are removed for pre flight fuel check is good idea IMO.

Posted

On my IV-1050 I've noticed that the left tank burns out quicker than the right.

The plane flies with a little drift to the left and a bit of a heavy right wing, too.  I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.  With my weak bungees, the right wing is a little lower, too.  (That may be the biggest reason...)

Posted

For what ever reason mine does the same.  I normaly burn about half the left tank then switch to the right tank and burn it almost empty then back to the left.  I put a valve on each wing tank after I noticed the transfer.  It was bad enough that the left tank would overflow the right tank in flight and I would have gas spraying off the right wing filler cap inflight.

Posted

Cool I feel a little better about that now. I guess I will pay attention to it and deal with it accordingly. On a side note does anybody have an accurate picture of fuel level lines on the inboard ends of their tanks? I was always going to put a gallon at a time in it and measure it but never got around to it. To clarify I'm talking about the little oval where you can view your tank from the cockpit. Someone put a 5 and 10 gallon mark on mine but not sure how accurate it is. I need to make a dipstick I guess.

Posted

In the last photo on this string, over Jim's shoulder is the fuel level gauge.

I'll try and get a photo of the one in my IV-1200--  It's pretty good with markings in level flight and sitting on the ground.