Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Old set of KF wings

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a chance to get a deal into a set of KF3 wings..{abandoned project}..at least that is what I was told. The issue I have with them is that the spars seems to have been sanded with a less aggressive sanding for rib bonding. Closest I could duplicate to compare was 320 grit on a scrap piece of aluminum. I would like to get them for a spare set or for a future project. Would you go ahead and pick them up? They are in very nice condition...never covered and is still in a storage building. Have been fitted to a fuselage somewhere...but comes with everything that relates to the wings...even flaperon cables. They are not far from me and I really want to get this deal. Just concerned....maybe overthinking again. The covering should lock everything in tight. Work on them is very nice to say the least...hate to undo anything on them.

Posted (edited)

There are no "flaperon cables" on a Kitfox 3 ???  All that is needed for rib bonding is to get the thin layer of oxidation off of the surface of the spars.  What price are they asking?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Not sure I would try to fit spars that have been drilled for another air frame odds are they will not line up. I read alot about weld warp around here.

Posted (edited)

Not sure I would try to fit spars that have been drilled for another air frame odds are they will not line up. I read alot about weld warp around here.

Kitfox welds the attach tubes in a fixture, so they should all be close enough to fit - the biggest variation is how much dihedral the builder put into the wings and how square they were to the fuselage when drilled.  The spar root end inserts can be replaced as a last resort.

Still, there are no "flaperon cables" on a Kitfox 3 ???  I have a set of KF3 wings and flapperons I just removed and stored.

How much is the guy asking for the wings?

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

A 'deal' is like beauty, pretty much all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, if the opportunity came up near me and the price right in my mind, I'd definitely pick them up.

Posted

A 'deal' is like beauty, pretty much all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, if the opportunity came up near me and the price right in my mind, I'd definitely pick them up.

I am more concerned about those "flaperon cables" - Could these be off of something else, like SkyRanger/SkyRaider?  I cant seem to remember which is which - Maybe something else?

EDMO

Posted

OK it was late and I know there are 2 boxes full of parts that go with the wings. I seen a bundle of cables in a bag marked wings in one box. The linkages that drop to the mixer are not there. Thinking I can pick all up for 1500 - maybe less. It was late when all was looked over. This guy had lots of airplane stuff going on at one time from what I seen. Maybe getting things not KF.