Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wings tomorrow

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Big day tomorrow!  Wing mounting time...

I mounted the wing and jury struts today.  Looking forward to seeing the wings on her.

I'll post pics tomorrow of either a plane with wings or a few guys crushed by a turned over aircraft :)

Ron

image.thumb.jpg.bc1ea03a488f135466be489cimage.thumb.jpg.9c646a5590e91b33041afc42

1 person likes this

Posted

Put a saw horse under the tail to level it then attach one wing with the rear spar and lower strut bolt then swing it back before attaching the other wing.  Or leave the first wing spread but put a support under the tip or have someone hold it or you could very well tip the plane over.

Posted

TCJ,

I should have looked on here before starting, but luckily the new gear I made for it is so wide it didn't want to tip over.

Things went pretty much straight on...I had plenty of help and I really like how it looks!  Nice to see it looking like a real airplane.

i do have a couple of questions, but I'll add them in another thread.

I love the gear geometry!  This bird is standing tall!

Ron

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

That's NICE!!! cool201.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

Super Awesome!

Big fun when you are actually finally flying off the hours and determining the shim thickness for cruise speed on the horiz stab! You look so close!

Chris

1 person likes this

Posted

Chris,

I can't wait to be in the air with this!

Can you help me with the tubes made to hold the wings for trailering the wings?

i understand how the ones that attach to the front spar work.  It is the ones that attach to the wing strut tab that I can't figure out?

Do they go from the wing strut tab to the hole just in front of the leaf spring?  If so, the tubes are too long...so I think I'm not looking at it right.

Thanks,

Ron

Posted

On the regular Avids, there is an attachment point just above and at the front of the horizontal stabilizer on the vertical stabilizer.  The holding tubes are 16" or so long.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Hi Ron,

Yes exactly what Jim said. On my Magnum the original builder did not set the plane up for wing fold. That was a tragedy in my opinion. I am setting it up now for wing fold and added attach points on the vertical stab exactly as Jim described. I do not know if the Magnum had the attach points and the builder ground them off or if it was up to the builder to weld them on, but my Magnum airframe now has them. I can take a pic if you like, but it is exactly the same as every Avid if there are any in your neck of the woods. Since your plane is covered and painted, you may have to come up with an alternate method to secure the back of the wings if you do not have tabs on the lower front of your vertical stab.

Chris

Posted

Ron, it occurred to me that if your plane does not have the tabs to secure the wings when folded, there is the horizontal stab front mounting bolt that you could use to attach the wings when folded it is a structurally secure point in almost the exact place you would tie the wings to. I haven't looked, but it seems like you could fabricate a small part that would secure under that bolt and provide the tabs to secure the wings. 

Posted

Thanks Jim and Chris,

found two things...

1) the PO swapped the wing strut attach points, so the tab for the trailer support is on the trailing strut attach.  That is why my support arms seemed too long.  At least he did it the same on both arms!  So, I'm going to cut those arms down and then I will connect the two arms together with a bar that goes over the saddle, in front of the vert stab...probably clear as mud, but I will add a pic after I get it right.

2) yes, it must have been the builders option on the Magnum to add a place to bolt to the vert stab...no need for pic, I will go look at my neighbors M IV.

thanks again!

ron

Posted (edited)

Oh - Oh!  Got to look at my Kitfox tomorrow - I think they have the support tab on the trailing spar - on both sets of wings.  ???  Maybe Kitfox did it different - anyway, I have trailered it with the braces on and they fit and the wings didn't fall off!  Ha!  I think all these do is keep the wings from swinging - the support is at the front an the struts.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ron, I believe you could make your supports to fit the holes near the bottom of the fuselage (where the tow bar and ventral fin attach) and you would be OK.  Your idea of a cross bar is a good addition too.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Ron, I just LOVE the costumes you and wife came up with for this year's Halloween party!

RonBee.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Beeutiful!  Ha!  That is too funny!

How did you find that?  Searching for "Dudes in Speedos" again?  :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow!

Can't un-see that! :o

1 person likes this

Posted

Beeutiful!  Ha!  That is too funny!

How did you find that?  Searching for "Dudes in Speedos" again?  :)

Touche`

:BC: